Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
5,438 Posts
the yellow light comes way sooner than when the gas is at empty....

its just a precautionary warning....

typically you may have 3 or 4 gallons left.

i drove about 15 miles with a yellow light on, before i pulled into a gas station.

·
Hella Functional
4,960 Posts
errr i drove about 72 miles since the light came on then my car died and wouldn't start anymore. That was actually a test, since i had some fuel in my trunk. But that was highway milage so... eh

·
Registered
66 Posts
DV8 said:
errr i drove about 72 miles since the light came on then my car died and wouldn't start anymore. That was actually a test, since i had some fuel in my trunk. But that was highway milage so... eh

I drove about 80km (50miles) a couple days ago when the light came on. When I went to gas I put in 55liters in. We have 60liter tanks I think, or 65. So your good for quite some time, after the light turns on.

·
Registered
358 Posts
ive done 68 miles...i actually reset the trip odometer when it came on so i could see how long i could go. it involved some highway miles and mostly rollin around town... i coulda still pushed it further but my dad was sitting in the car with me later that day and was like "your a complete idiot lets go fill it up now before you're walking back to the gas station" so we filled it up...

·
constantly in pursuit
4,250 Posts
i usually have about 3 gallons left when the light comes on. ~50 or 60 miles.
i ran out of gas one time, got into an accident and the stupid girl kept driving, so i chased em down, finally got everything settled, then ran outta gas on my way home. like 2 blocks from my house. that was a bad night...

·
My Third Accord!
841 Posts
maybe on an older car when rust inside the tanks becomes an issue, in my '03 i am not worried about crud on the bottom.
just thought of this:
wouldnt the gas pump be sucking from cruddy the bottom of the tank anyways no matter how full it is??? maybe i dont know what i am talking about
also, gas stations have fuel filters built into each pump, they look like oil filters. i have seen them being changed before, guess we're not going to get crud that way.

now, i have heard that is bad to go so low in the winter (in the snowy states) beacuse of water condensation in the tank which floats on top of the gas and can get into the lines if you get that low.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nittanys1 said:
yeah its not good at all...all the bad stuff in the gas settles to the bottom and when you take in the gas thats under 1/4 tanks you get more "crap" into your fuel system...i try to NEVER let my gas level get below 1/4...
I've heard a lot of people say this, and it makes sense, but then after a while, wouldn't you have so much junk in your tank that you'd have to fill up before 1/2 tank, then 3/4 tank, etc... to avoid the sediment? I would think the amount is insignificant or filtered better than we think.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
habibnazir said:
ive done 68 miles...i actually reset the trip odometer when it came on so i could see how long i could go. it involved some highway miles and mostly rollin around town... i coulda still pushed it further but my dad was sitting in the car with me later that day and was like "your a complete idiot lets go fill it up now before you're walking back to the gas station" so we filled it up...

LOL that so dad like too. my dad just *****es about not filling up when he knows prices are going to get jacked up so he would take all 6 of our cars to the gas station and fill them up.

in the NON-OT news, i usually fill up around 14.3 gallons about 10 miles after my orange light comes on. so given that we have a 18 gallon tank, i would say we run with about 3.7 gallons?

·
Registered
760 Posts
OwAce said:
in the NON-OT news, i usually fill up around 14.3 gallons about 10 miles after my orange light comes on. so given that we have a 18 gallon tank, i would say we run with about 3.7 gallons?
It's actually 17.1 galllons. But yeah, we do have plenty of gas left after the gas light goes on.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i dunno.. for ppl that have taken their car to the limit on gas.... does the red line ever pass into the red zone? like past it?? cuz i wanna see how much my car goes but i dont want it to turn off on me cuz on np fuel.. das embarassin.. pushin ur car to the pump yeh right.. i wouldnt be cought dead doing that thanx

·
Registered
463 Posts
i've driven it past the redline...done it a couple of times actually...and then i put in like 2 dollars just to get where i need to go...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts