Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm addicted to Accords..
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm planning to get a set of HIDs off a TL-S and I was just wondering if any of you guys know how to install them in to a 6 gen Accord. Do I need any special part or anything. it would be great if you guys can help me. thank you

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
rebased bulbs...if you're putting it into your stock headlights...then you're gonna need the D2R bulbs converted to 9006

·
Registered
187 Posts
You can't really rebase them yourself and do it easily. Buy some aftermarket D2S or D2R bulbs with the HB4 (9006) base. Then you will need a ballast with a ignitor either built into the ballast or external. If the focal point on the rebased bulb is not in the correct, then you will basically drive around on high beams to everyone. If you are trying to retro fit the newer projector TL headlights, then you will need to do a lot more work and put in a lot more time. Basically making them work will be a task in itself, but no impossible. Do a search and you will find many photos of retro fitting headlights. I have posted several comments on HID's since 2002. I've had HID's since 1998.

·
Registered
187 Posts
accord a-spec said:
thanx DTP. can you maybe link me to some post or site on how to convert a D2R to 9006. thanx
Actually it is easier to buy aftermarket bulbs that have been rebased already. These bulbs cost from $130 - $250 a piece depending on where you get them. That's a lot of money to be practicing with IMO.

Doing a search with yahoo on "rebased 9006 hid" I found several links.

Here is one. http://www.xenonfactory.com/products/hid/rebased.htm

Unless you have a OEM HID housing designed for a D2R bulb, I would suggest using a D2S rebased bulb as your retro housing isn't designed for the optical shield on the bulbs of the D2R.

·
I'm addicted to Accords..
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so... what do you guys think. should I buy the CL HIDs and try to make them work, or just get the plug and play HIDs. the plug in ones are more money.

·
Registered
187 Posts
accord a-spec said:
so... what do you guys think. should I buy the CL HIDs and try to make them work, or just get the plug and play HIDs. the plug in ones are more money.
The P&P units are more money upfront, but you will pay more money later if you are trying to get the CL HID units to work properly in your car. Your beam pattern will be less than enjoyable to say the least and your installation will be pure hell trying to get a D2 style bulb to fit into a HB4 fixture. The OEM HID is about 7mm off the focal point than where it needs to be for your system.

I say this with all due respect, save yourself a headache now and buy the P&P units for your car. You will thank yourself later if you do and will kick yourself later if you don't.

That's the nicest way I can put it. If you only want the look of an HID system, then yes, go with the CL units, but if you are actually trying to have a functional system, then buy the P&P units.

DTB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts