Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Stalls @ every light
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally we all discover our battery is going when we get a slugish engine start. Since the Hybrid doesn't normally use the starter to start the enigine it occurs to me that I may have a dying 12V battery and not know it. Yeah, I could look at the little indicater on the battery occasionally but I just thought this was interesting. I wonder if there's a way to over-ride the IMA just to check the regular starter. I assume it works ok but have no way of knowing that either...

Late night rambling...

·
Stalls @ every light
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, you are right, of course. I just thought this was an interesting thing to think about. Something Hybrid owners might need to be proactive about. Imagine that one rare case where the IMA batteries are too low for an IMA engine start. Suddenly you find your 12V battery is too low to activate the standard starter! Suck!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was checking out my prospective 2005 HAH and the 12v was basically dead. Kinda silly that it relies on it still. The Inst. cluster lit up, dimmed almost out and nothing. Put the booster pack on, hit the key immediately and started right up. Not sure why it was dead, but it happened.

Edit: Looks like I dug up a nice old thread here =)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Normally we all discover our battery is going when we get a slugish engine start. Since the Hybrid doesn't normally use the starter to start the enigine it occurs to me that I may have a dying 12V battery and not know it. Yeah, I could look at the little indicater on the battery occasionally but I just thought this was interesting. I wonder if there's a way to over-ride the IMA just to check the regular starter. I assume it works ok but have no way of knowing that either...

Late night rambling...
Good question. I also want to know if anyone has had to replace their battery as of yet and how many miles did you get out of it? I have an 05 with just over 85000 on it and have ask 2 different Honda dealerships if they have had anyone come in for a dead battery but they have none as of yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts