Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
My Third Accord!
Joined
·
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought you would like to see how it turned out. I used a metallic black to paint them. First I tried a spray tint to make black chrome but it always looked weird so I ended up going over it with black.





 

·
ClubbingDirectory
Joined
·
422 Posts
looks nice man! congrats!
how long did it take?!
do we have any DIYs for this?!
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,757 Posts
looks good, i'm gonna do this mod next :)
did you go the heat gun route or oven? did u sand and primer? also can you state the brand of paint you used?
thanks :)
 

·
My Third Accord!
Joined
·
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, use some really fine wetsand paper just to take the shiny off the chrome....you dont want to make grooves or take the chrome off, just dull it up a bit.
I used a duplicolor truck and suv metallic black paint...Just regular car exterior paint. didnt prime or clear because this is inside the headlight so its protected well. it dries fast too.
I used a convection oven set to 250-300 for 10-15 min to get it apart. all you need is 2 screwdrivers to pry carefully once the glue is good and soft.
take out your rubber seals around the bulb holders before you bake.
once you get the lense off, take the chrome out (1 screw) and pop out the reflector and the clear diffuser for the blinker and then prep and paint the part.
let it get good and dry and reassemble.
put the headlight back together and then put it in the oven again and get the glue hot and take it out and press the seams back together. this should give you a good seal.

I didnt do all this at once but its definetly an all day sat. or maybe a weekend project, unless you get some headlights to get painted before you swap them in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Hey I'm new here---just got a sapphire blue pearl 2004 v6 6-speed with navi---I haven't really done much of anything to it yet---just ordered a few boring factory accessories (fog lights, auto-dim mirror, wheel locks, car cover, etc...) Yeah I know those can't really be considered modifications but its a start

anyhow, I really like the look of the blacked out headlights (seems to match fogs better) and I was wondering if anyone had ever blacked the housing and put some type of spray tint on the amber reflector to make it less noticeable but still somewhat visible

any pics would be appreciated
 

·
Registered Hondaphile
Joined
·
545 Posts
betterthanurs91 said:
Hey I'm new here---just got a sapphire blue pearl 2004 v6 6-speed with navi---I haven't really done much of anything to it yet---just ordered a few boring factory accessories (fog lights, auto-dim mirror, wheel locks, car cover, etc...) Yeah I know those can't really be considered modifications but its a start

anyhow, I really like the look of the blacked out headlights (seems to match fogs better) and I was wondering if anyone had ever blacked the housing and put some type of spray tint on the amber reflector to make it less noticeable but still somewhat visible

any pics would be appreciated
First off, welcome to V6P!!

What you can do is when youre doing your blackhousing, be sure to blackhouse the area where the reflector goes. when you put it back on, itll be less noticeable that its a standard orange reflector and give it kind of a mean look too.

heres a sample, its Honda S2000 projector retrofit from somewhere in this forum... you can see that behind the reflector was blackhoused and gives a completely different look. and if this isnt dark enough for you, paint the backsides of the reflectors black. (sorry its so big, im tired and lazy so didnt bother resizing it)


not being knowledgable enough to do a retrofit myself, theres a vendor on this forum, Jonathon White, that is doing a retrofit with Acura TSX projectors for me. If you're interested in making this your first non-OEM mod, i'd be happy to give you his contact information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
anderson930 said:
First off, welcome to V6P!!

What you can do is when youre doing your blackhousing, be sure to blackhouse the area where the reflector goes. when you put it back on, itll be less noticeable that its a standard orange reflector and give it kind of a mean look too.

heres a sample, its Honda S2000 projector retrofit from somewhere in this forum... you can see that behind the reflector was blackhoused and gives a completely different look. and if this isnt dark enough for you, paint the backsides of the reflectors black. (sorry its so big, im tired and lazy so didnt bother resizing it)


not being knowledgable enough to do a retrofit myself, theres a vendor on this forum, Jonathon White, that is doing a retrofit with Acura TSX projectors for me. If you're interested in making this your first non-OEM mod, i'd be happy to give you his contact information.
if you dont mind me askin how much is he chargin ya...

i wanna get a retro done but i dont know where to start or what im doin
 

·
Registered Hondaphile
Joined
·
545 Posts
gogetit187 said:
if you dont mind me askin how much is he chargin ya...

i wanna get a retro done but i dont know where to start or what im doin

only $375, but that doesnt include the bulbs or ballasts (cause i already have them)
He's still working on mine, but if you want references, PM jason2713 or Sin-R V6. Or, check out this thread, where they each referred me to him: http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?p=973198#post973198

you can contact him on AIM: WhiteJM2004
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top