Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2007 V6 with 177,000 miles, and just recently I've been hearing what very much sounds like any normal exhaust leak, which seems to be coming from near the front of the car. It's hard to tell because it only happens when I'm driving so I can't crawl under the car or get under the hood, and it comes immediately and then fades out eventually. It's quite loud at first. I don't hear any hint of a leak before or after this happens. It can last anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes, and it's never happened at startup or soon after. I guess it could be something else but I've been driving for 30+ years and it sounds like an exhaust leak. The check engine light also is not on. I haven't yet taken it in for service. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Ken
240 Posts
I had a similar issue at around 170k miles also. The two likely areas to consider are either the flex pipe or the area where the j pipe meets with the front cats. In my case it was the j pipe separating from the cats over harsh bumps. The nuts that secured the j pipe to the cats corroded off, leaving the pipe to be (barely) secured just by tension against the threaded portion. Living in New England does that to you.

The only way to know for sure would be to get under the car and check those areas (while the car is cold). Give the exhaust a good shake to see if there is excessive movement and try to replicate the sound.

Wear safety glasses in case rust bits fall off so nothing gets in your eyes. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a similar issue at around 170k miles also. The two likely areas to consider are either the flex pipe or the area where the j pipe meets with the front cats. In my case it was the j pipe separating from the cats over harsh bumps. The nuts that secured the j pipe to the cats corroded off, leaving the pipe to be (barely) secured just by tension against the threaded portion. Living in New England does that to you.

The only way to know for sure would be to get under the car and check those areas (while the car is cold). Give the exhaust a good shake to see if there is excessive movement and try to replicate the sound.

Wear safety glasses in case rust bits fall off so nothing gets in your eyes. Good luck!
Thank you for the reply, K3N! I live in NY so it is very likely to be the same issue. I will check it out this weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts