Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
xXxCLS bOoStEdXxX
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont want to mess around with the tape anymore. how much is reasonable price to pay a shop to paint the pieces for you? is it possible to take off the chrome trim yourself? i was thinking if so just just vimals tips and u should be able to paint it. but im looking for professional results so i might just take it to a body shop

whats a fair price to pay? i know this would be a wierd request for them probably. i wanna clear wat 99v6sedan thinks and maybe others in the painting business

at the same time i might just get the front bumper repainted and the holes in the grill filled in. i have two scratches that some retard put in and i might ge those repaired also. just so many little things to get the car back in tip top shape. 122k miles and shes still pretty

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
Definitely interested in this as well. I was thinking about painting the trim myself, but I want professional looking results and durability. I may just have a shop paint it for me.

·
Boosted
1,529 Posts
Most likely you will have to buy new trim..for one of 2 reasons:
The clips break during removal=Most likely.
and it bends very very easy.
We usually replace the chrome moldings on cars,thats just how delicate and almost a 1 time use deal.

as for painting it, I would suggest getting the GOLD scotch brite pad,MAYBE the gray(just scuff very lightly) and pick up a can of "TRIM BLACK" it gives it the dull mate black look that comes factory on alot of parts on cars.

But idk how long itl last,due to you cant paint over chrome all to well,itl chip/scratch sooner than wanted.

·
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,768 Posts
I've also seen the "commercial" grade vinyl on forums. Seems like it was a brand called Avery? I dunno. But, it was that outdoor vinyl that suppose to last 5 to 6 years. I think that is your best bet on vinyl.

I was alsoc onsidering painting the chrome trim, but like 1andonly said, I wonder how long it would last and how durable it would be?

Is there a paint adhesion promoter we could apply to the chrome trim? Or perhaps just sand all the chrome off of it then paint?
Seems like applying commercial grade vinly every few years would be cheaper, faster than painting.

·
xXxCLS bOoStEdXxX
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tape is frustrating if your a perfectionist. you can get an OK job but i want it super clean. OEM looking. and i dont think thats really possible with tape. i tried it a few times and it was decent. i have the avery stuff and its ok i guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts