Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Accord V6 EX automatic was purchased from a tow yard for 1300 bucks as is. It had 212000 miles on it and sat at tow yard for just over a year. Drove it out of the lot and been driving it since. ( a year now. ) current mileage is 242000+. It just drove to Oklahoma from CA and back again. I dont know when or if timing belt was ever replaced and since its the kind that will F Up my engine if it breaks...I want to have it replaced. Well I may as well do the water pump too, & camshaft, crank yada yada yada....So now im thinking THATS GONNA COST A SMALL FORTUNE! Am I waisting money doin g all that on engine with 242000+ miles?????

·
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,773 Posts
Short answer: Yes on the timing belt service. NO on the cam and crank.

You got your moneys worth at $1300. It is a "beater", so drive it until a high cost repair job is needed (which will be more than the value and/or what you paid for it), then get rid of it and find another beater if that is your current game plan.

As far as the engine, these J30A1's will go a pretty good ways before a rebuild is necessary...as long as the maintenance is kept up. Since you don't know if the timing belt service has been done, it is best to just go ahead and do that maintenance. Part of the timing belt service is to adjust the valve lash. When they pull the valve covers off to do the valve adjustment, they can inspect the camshaft lobes at that time. So, they will be able to let you know the condition of the cams. Unless the oil was not changed on a regular basis, they should be good to go.

While you have the timing belt service, have the shop do a compression and leak down test to see if the compression numbers are good. If they are good, just drive it till the wheels fall off.

Also, not sure if you have an honest shop that you use, but be wary of them "upselling" you on a cam replacement or rebuild. Just tell them you need a timing belt service, valve lash adjustment and check the compression on all cylinders, and have them document each compression reading for all 6 cylinders. Don't tell them you think it may need a rebuild due to the mileage, this opens you up for a rip off/upsell if it is a dishonest shop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts