Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 AV6 with 42K miles has been pulling ever so slightly to the right so I took the car in for an alignment. The dealer comes back and says that my control arm bushings are torn and that my driver side sway bar link is broken and that they should be fixed before I do the alignment. He wants to charge $360 for the bushings and $250 for the broken link.

The bushings have a couple small cracks on both sides. Do I really need to replace these?

Here are some pictures

Picture of the "torn" control arm bushing (driver-side):

Close-up of the driver-side bushing :

Passenger side bushing :

Do I really need to replace these? The bushings are only $10 piece. Dealer wants $360, mostly for the labor. Can I do them myself? What about if I just buy the entire control arm ($80-90 - part 6,7 from the picture below :

Here are pictures of the "broken" sway bar link (driver side) :

Intact link on the passenger side :

The sway bar link is only about $12. Dealer wants $250 to replace both sides.

Am I getting ripped off?

Thanks in advance.

·
I feel da need 4 6-speeds
2,313 Posts
Sounds like you're getting ripped off! I'd ask him to explain how he came up with those estimates. What's the hourly rate for labor?

Yeah, you need to replace the bushings and rear sway links. That's a safety hazard waiting to happen.

·
Damn You All !!!
791 Posts
hey i think that's the same issue with my car.
they told me the same thing and gave me a quote of 450 to get replaced.
obviously i didnt pay, just by the parts and change them yourself

·
Registered
531 Posts
endlinks are easy to change....the control arm bushings, a bit more involved as you have to remove and reassemble the bottom half of your suspension - not sure if those bushings need to be pressed out though?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
endlinks are easy to change....the control arm bushings, a bit more involved as you have to remove and reassemble the bottom half of your suspension - not sure if those bushings need to be pressed out though?

Well, the reason why the dealer said it would cost so much to change the control arm bushings is because it has to be pressed in / out. I'm not sure what that exactly means.

What about if I buy the whole lower control arm for $80. Would the bushings come pre-installed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What symptom did you notice on your car before your brought it into the dealer. Im getting some weird wheel wobble in the front?

By the wway removing the bushing is a pain in the ass. You have to use an air chisel to take it out then press the new one in definatlely labor intensive. End links are easy to do.

I would go with the lower arm rather then replacing the bushing.

Good luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
They charge you high because these things need lots of force to be pressed out of their sockets and stuff. The dealerships provide these tools so they'll try to take advantage of that fact attempt to screw you over. Really, if you have a local mechanic who knows what's he's doing then buy the parts and replace them yourself with him. Much cheaper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
03 endlinks were made weak?

What symptom did you notice on your car before your brought it into the dealer. Im getting some weird wheel wobble in the front?
My car was pulling ever so slightly to the right, so I brought it in for an alignment. Instead, the dealer says I need $600 worth of other work done.

By the way, my car is anm 03 but should I buy 05 endlinks? I think I've read somewhere that the 03 endlinks are made too weak. Or does this only apply for rear endlinks and not the fronts?

·
Bobby Lane Racing
5,679 Posts
its common for the bushings to go out. and you cannot DIY. requires some tools to press that bushing out of the control arm. many places will charge you more to change out the bushing than to change out the entire control arm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its common for the bushings to go out. and you cannot DIY. requires some tools to press that bushing out of the control arm. many places will charge you more to change out the bushing than to change out the entire control arm.
So changing out the whole control arm should be DIY'able? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
Wish you were closer to me.....

Anyway, yes replace the bushings and links, the links are cake if you have the right tools.

The bushings are a bit more work, but you can remove the lower control arms and take them to a local machine shop to get pressed out, the shop should charge no more than $50 to press them out and the new ones in. The price is high, but not for stealership rates, a local small shop should be able to do the work for 1/2-2/3 the price.

·
Registered
530 Posts
is there any aftermarking bushing available? i neeed to replace all my bushing in the rear... thats 6 or 8 bushing total i believe...

·
Registered
13 Posts
The dealers are in the buissiness to make money.It takes alot of money to keep the doors open in a car dealer or independent shop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts