Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know how to install the axel for my driver side. Is the drive side considered the right or left side? what tools do I need to get the job done. It either I do it in my drive way or pay 100+ to tow to honda and 100 for the install. any pictures would be helpful.:)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have GG axel also what happened to yours?
down shift to 2nd as I was turning into my lane hit the gas to go. Then a big pop! The axle is still in the trans and spindle. Looking under the car, grease was everywhere. the boot came off from one of the side. I wont know the damage until I take it off. a guy told me to take off the three bolts at the top and one bolt at the bottom and swing out it out after taking off the axle nut. Then slide the axle out. Is this right? He said he never disconnects the ball joint at the bottom.

·
Adventure is out there!
2,941 Posts
yep, gg axles, **itty axles, what the best or easy way to take them off? what size axle socket I need to get the axle nut off(mm)?
wow looks like your the third to have them snap..

and socket size i'm not sure.. i never got around to installing them. Returned them after i found out what happened to sean and david.

·
J35 6Spd
6,107 Posts
take the strut fork off, hub nut, lower ball joint, and disconnect the sway bar i believe... then i think you can lift the hub out of the lower control arm, pull it straight toward you to release the end of the axle.. and swing the hub to the side.. then you should be able to pull the axle out.

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
To replace the axel.....

1) Jack the car up, put a jackstand under her.
2) Remove the tire.
3) Get another person to sit in the car and stomp the brakes while using a 1/2" breaker bar and a 36mm socket to losen the axel nut and remove the axel nut.
4) Using a large punch and hammer push the axel part way into the hub to free it up.
5) Remove the strut fork bolts(17mm bolt and nut on the bottom, 14mm bolt on the top)
6) Tap the top of the fork to get it off the end of the strut then worm it out.
7) Remove the cotter pin and nut for the lower ball joint.
8) Seperate the lower ball joint.
9) Pull the hub towards you and pull the axel out of the hub.
10) Pry the inner joint out of the tranny using a pry bar between the tranny housing and the inner joint.
11) Remove the axel
12) Put new axel into tranny housing spinning the axel until you feel the splines alighn
13) Hold the outer joint so that the axel is close to streight then using a hammer gently tap the axel into the trans until it is fully seated
14) Insert the axel into the hub and put the lower ball joint back into the lower control arm.
15) Tighten the low ball joint nut tightly (spec is 85 ft lbs) and making sure the castle nut will allow the cotter pin to be re-intalled and re-install the cotter pin (or get a new cotter pin if the old one is damaged)
16) Slip the strut for back into place and LOSELY re-install the lower bolt and nut.
*** 17) Using a jack, jack up the lower control arm until the strut fork is tight against the bottom of the strut.
18) Install the upper strut fork bolt and tighten both bolts.
19) Remove the jack
20) Put the car in 1st gear, install the axel bolt and tighten (Spec is 90ft lbs)
21) Using a chisle or large flat blade screw driver and a hammer lock the nut in by dimpleing the edge at the recess on the axel.
22) Reinstall the tire
23) Put the car back on the ground
24) Crack open your favoirite beverage and clean up the mess.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
problem getting the ball joint separated, I tried hammering the hell out of it, still cant get it loose

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
they told me if I use that tool, it will cut the ball joint boot, I guess I will just go back out side and hammer some more.

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
There is a different tool, it looks like a two arm puller, you put the two arms on the lower control arm and the end of the screw on the ball joint stud, just keep your hands clear when it pops free.

·
Bobby Lane Racing
5,679 Posts
unbolt the nut from the lower ball joint, Lift up the entire hub assembly once the fork has been removed from the lower strut/lower arm, and take a hammer to the lower control arm around where the ball joint is while lifting the hub.. the lower control arm will slide right off the ball joint. This will prevent damage to the ball joint.

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts