Accord V6 Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
If you have the stock CBE, I think a cutout is a good option. Sonnick got my ass wanting to do it

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
One of the best mods I've done. Love being quiet daily and loud AF when I want it to be. It's too loud, but so much fun. I actually punched it with the windows down for the first time tonight and it was nuts lol. Brought a bigger smile to my face than the Cheshire cat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hate to bump this, my bad :D especially since its an 8G question in a 7G forum.
Would it be possible to put J37 heads on a J35Z2.
I know I'd need an ECU from the J37 considering my ECU has that VCM crap.

I'd need a re-pin, would I also need the cluster and paddles from a J37?

Thanks! Thinking about hitting Paul up in the early spring to see if he's still available for stuff like this.
Friend of mine just sourced me the topend of a 3.7 TL for a stealer price.
Along with the one MDX head I have laying on my balcony, I might just make a nice glass table if this doesn't work out ;-)
Oh yeah, and I've been e-tuning with my kTuner through TurboGixxer so that's covered.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I don't feel head work is worth the effort. My J37 heads did yield high end for me (back on J30 and can feel the difference), but it's negligible unless your high HP N/A build.

You may see better gains being a J35 to J37 heads, where I was J37 heads on a J30.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't feel head work is worth the effort. My J37 heads did yield high end for me (back on J30 and can feel the difference), but it's negligible unless your high HP N/A build.

You may see better gains being a J35 to J37 heads, where I was J37 heads on a J30.
Hard to believe. So, it'd be more worth it to save this J37 top end I just got, and wait until I can afford doing the bottom end, as well?
I assume mounting an 89mm short block to 90mm heads wouldn't be possible without boring anyways, or it'd be fine?

Guess I'll just use the manifold and throttle body from it, for now, and wrap these two heads up in my garage ;(

·
Registered
611 Posts
I don't think we've seen what headwork can truly produce because cams are so expensive for our cars. Most people who dig deep into the internals of our engines seem to be let down by the gains for all the dollars spent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would just stick with the J35 heads--they flow pretty well for what they are. If you have VCM, then swap to a non VCM J35 head

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
Hard to believe. So, it'd be more worth it to save this J37 top end I just got, and wait until I can afford doing the bottom end, as well?
I assume mounting an 89mm short block to 90mm heads wouldn't be possible without boring anyways, or it'd be fine?

Guess I'll just use the manifold and throttle body from it, for now, and wrap these two heads up in my garage ;(
i have a 87mm bore mounted to a 89mm head. Can't didn't blow up, but it did create a mushroom effect and slightly dropped the CR. wished I just did straight camshaft instead of going through all the trouble of swapping the head.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looking to go the N/A route, I feel the added VTEC for exhaust would yield big benefits. Might as well build out the bottom end too.
Do j37 cranks, rods swap into J35zx blocks?
I see people swapping them into J32 blocks.

How would you swap to non-vcm? The VCM heads have the VTEC solenoid on each head, non-vcm j engines have only one in the oil pump housing.
PCM harness would definitely need to be swapped and/or ECU?

One head has some toasty valves, too much blow-by I assume, before the block blew. Other head is brand new, customer at dealership had it replaced a few weeks before, the block blew. So SCORE! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is this thread still alive? If it is, i have a 99 Odyssey with a J35A. Lowest HP J35 alive. Wanting to see what heads work best on this. Was wanting to swap in a J35A6 from the 2005 Odyssey but would need new ECU and wiring harness to make it compatible. Seeing as my engine only makes 210hp and 220tq I need some serious help to get it close to what the other J series engines get. Would J37 heads and intake be best or swap in an A4 from a 2002-2004 odyssey THEN head swap it? Funds aren't an issue as this is my project car for fun. Just need to know the best rout to go! Thanks for any and all help!

·
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,780 Posts
Is this thread still alive? If it is, i have a 99 Odyssey with a J35A. Lowest HP J35 alive. Wanting to see what heads work best on this. Was wanting to swap in a J35A6 from the 2005 Odyssey but would need new ECU and wiring harness to make it compatible. Seeing as my engine only makes 210hp and 220tq I need some serious help to get it close to what the other J series engines get. Would J37 heads and intake be best or swap in an A4 from a 2002-2004 odyssey THEN head swap it? Funds aren't an issue as this is my project car for fun. Just need to know the best rout to go! Thanks for any and all help!

No, this thread, nor the site is not alive.

I am an amateur and have moved on to american muscle but I can get you started. The main issue you have to deal with is the bellhousing pattern.
Most if not all of the Honda and Acura engine/tranny bellhousings changed as follows:
2007 and up for the Acura
2008 and up for the Honda Accords
Not sure on the Odyssey, I think it was 05

People have made bellhousing adapters though, but I don't know the details

I don't know if the J35A6 would mate up to a 5 speed auto because I don't know if that generation of engine has the same bellhousing pattern.

What you could use is a J35A3 or J35A4. There is no need to head swap as those heads are the damn near the same as the J32A2.

I THINK J37x heads might bolt up to a J35A3 or J35A4 block but not without some serious work. The oil and coolant channels will not line up. You would need to do some welding and machining on those heads IF they even worked.

If you want my opinion, don't even mess with it. It's not a good platform to start with. However, if you can find a shop that would build you a J36 stroker, that would be your best bet. That engine, TUNED with a piggyback or standalone, would yield about 325 and 350~360 respectively. Most of the tourqe comes in about 2500 RPM, so it would pull that Odyssey of the line hard from a dead stop.

However, that J36 stroker pulls alot of vacuum on the valve stem seals which may cause a failure - I know this for a fact because one of the former members here had that issue with the J36 strokers which he built for a few members here. He never could find a "universal" valve stem seal that would hold the vacuum.

How about you just find an old chevy 3/4 ton van, swap in a LS engine and tranny and have 325 HP stock. I have learned those LS engines respond extremely well to camshaft upgrades - mild cam (224 duration @ about a 510 lift) gains about 50-60 HP at the crank...then add headers (15HP) and the HPTuners tune on the OEM ECU and you are over 400HP at the crank easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wellllllll not really into the American muscle scene lol but my main goal here was to get as much with stock parts as I can then but the Prank adapter for GM supercharger and boost the van. Then tune it. Ive built 3 other supercharged Hondas being 4 cyl models and they've been NASTY. So I figured the v6 would be more insane. That and a Van is so weird to build i have to do it. Thanks for all the info tho, that helps out a lot. Thinking ill just get an A4 and maybe cam it and swap j37 intake manifold and TB then throw on the supercharger. Problem is finding a tuner. VIT Viper has tuned my other builds but not too sure how he would do this one lol

101 - 113 of 113 Posts