Accord V6 Forum banner

741 - 760 of 795 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello to you all!
Can you give an advise?
I'd like to use J35A8 block from Acura RL with normal head (3 manifold exhaust) J32A2 or J35A4.
Which kind of heads should I use?

·
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,773 Posts
Hello to you all!
Can you give an advise?
I'd like to use J35A8 block from Acura RL with normal head (3 manifold exhaust) J32A2 or J35A4.
Which kind of heads should I use?

You can use either one. You can also use the heads from a J35A3 if you need to.

Which ever head you choose, they will all need the same amount of modifications to work. I know it can be done, but don't know the specifics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can use either one. You can also use the heads from a J35A3 if you need to.

Which ever head you choose, they will all need the same amount of modifications to work. I know it can be done, but don't know the specifics.
The main question is in the oil and coolant channels.
Does it fit to each other?

·
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,773 Posts
The main question is in the oil and coolant channels.
Does it fit to each other?

No sir, the oil and coolant channels will not match up.

You need to modifiy those to make either of those heads work on a J35A8, and there is likely some other stuff too. I only know of 1 individual who has done it, but it can be done.

Gerzand on Acurazine.com has done it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No sir, the oil and coolant channels will not match up.

You need to modifiy those to make either of those heads work on a J35A8, and there is likely some other stuff too. I only know of 1 individual who has done it, but it can be done.

Gerzand on Acurazine.com has done it.
Thank you for replay.
I have Honda Legend KB1 SHAWD and it's very important for me to leave J35A8 block.
If somebody did it - I can - My techguys will do the porting in anyway so I hope they can mix J35A8/J32A2

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm planning to build a '02-04 Odyssey block with J37A1 internals, and I have a question about the following information;

Option 1
With '01-02 complete MDX block or '02-04 Odyssey complete block (crank/rods/pistons) it is required to purchase 2005 Acura RL pistons (new set $50 each) This is a best option still since these pistons have clearance for large 36mm J32A2 (intake) valves thus no modification needed. Despite the fact they have higher 11.0:1 CR still even supercharger can be used here with low boost up to 7psi intercooled (assuming safe AFR). In addition, if 11:1 CR is too high for you, you can use '03 CL-S pistons with 10.5:1 CR.

Note: Odyssey pistons do not have clearance to fit large 36mm J32A2 (intake) valves. Solution - custom job to increase valve pockets.

BTW, The only advantage to get J32A2 block is due to better cylinder sleeves to withstand heat designed for higher redline vehicle, otherwise depending on the price Odyssey or MDX block are the best bet.
The J35A4 in the '02-04 Odyssey uses FRM sleeves, and I've heard it's not a good idea to run forged pistons in them. So, are the '05 RL pistons forged? What OEM 89mm pistons would be suitable to use in the FRM sleeved J35A4 block? I plan to use the J37A1 heads, I believe the intake valves are 36mm. Is there any other reason why I couldn't run the J35A4 block with J37A1 crank/rods and heads?

Thanks for your help!

·
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,773 Posts
this section is pretty dead...you may or may not get some more answers.....
I'm not an expert but can shed some light

The J35A4 in the '02-04 Odyssey uses FRM sleeves, and I've heard it's not a good idea to run forged pistons in them.

not sure here. from what I read, the older blocks with FRM would have problems...because Honda was still trying to get the formula right?

However, they still use FRM sleeves with Forged internals on their engines. Don't have a definite answer here for you.

** If you can find a J32A2 block, those sleeves are steel. Acura may still have some of those in stock. Other than that it, look in your junk yards, etc.

So, are the '05 RL pistons forged?
No sir. They are cast

What OEM 89mm pistons would be suitable to use in the FRM sleeved J35A4 block?
J32A2 pistons from an 03 Cl-s

J35A3/A4 from a Honda pilot, oddy respectively. Don't know the years right off...

2005 Acura RL pistons --> I run these in my J35A3.

I plan to use the J37A1 heads, I believe the intake valves are 36mm. Is there any other reason why I couldn't run the J35A4 block with J37A1 crank/rods and heads?
I'm pretty sure, that is going to require some modification.

I may be wrong here, but the water and oil jackets are different on those J37A1 heads and will not line up on the J35A3/A4 block. May also need to do some modification for the timing gears and other stuff?

I think that J37A1 crankshaft may be "shorter" than the J35A3/A4crankshaft. A spacer would need to be machined, if possible??

may even have different type sensors in those heads...??

** We do know for a fact that the 36mm intake valves on a J32A2 head WILL clear the pistons on a J35A3/A4. It has been proven in a real world build by Moneypit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
No.

Different sensors, heads (including most of the valve train, if not all of it), crankshaft, Throttle Body...maybe some other stuff also.
I have j30a4 and want buy only j32a2 block and heads. And use it with j37 crank to build j36 enjine.
And i want to know. j32a2 block and j32a3 are the same or not. beacause in Russia i cant find j32a3 block only j32a2

·
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,773 Posts
I have j30a4 and want buy only j32a2 block and heads. And use it with j37 crank to build j36 enjine.
And i want to know. j32a2 block and j32a3 are the same or not. beacause in Russia i cant find j32a3 block only j32a2

If you are using a 03 or later Accord, then I don't know if the J32A2 block will line up with the engine mounts in your 7th gen Accord.

I think you could get the J36 (Stroked J32A2) working in your 7th gen Accord, but the wiring/re-pinning may be a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you are using a 03 or later Accord, then I don't know if the J32A2 block will line up with the engine mounts in your 7th gen Accord.

I think you could get the J36 (Stroked J32A2) working in your 7th gen Accord, but the wiring/re-pinning may be a pain in the ass.
Ok) I understand. Thank you)

741 - 760 of 795 Posts