Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wonderinfg if putting J30A4 head on J30A1 blocks would be sufficient for power increase than stock? With respect to 02AV6's post with the valve clearance issue for the J32A2 on both J30 and J35 blocks. (Much props to his work!) What should I look for in the tech manuals on the different numbers to allow the J30A4 heads on J30A1 block to work? I have service manuals for the Acura/Honda/Oddyssey (04). What issues should I be concerned with for my engine? I am also looking to increase low-end torque and hoping this would help. Any help would greatly be appreciated!!

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
That would be an interesting swap. While you're at it, throw in the J30A4 intake manifold also. I'm not sure if the ports will match up though. They also bumped up compression on the A4 and I forgot how they did it. Either revised pistons, or modified chamber volume which would be in the heads. You'd still be without the knock control system though, which is a big part of the performance improvement.

I haven't been following these frankenstein motor hybrid/swap threads at all so the information may already be on the forum.

·
530whp soon
1,993 Posts
Not any easy task as some restrictions are similar to J30A1/J32A2 combo outlined - here

J30A4 valves (35mm/30mm - intake/exhaust) are a little less than J32A2 which are 36mm/30mm. Still valve pockets on J30A1 piston can only fit 34mm/29mm valves and would require custom machining due to clearance issue. The heads (J30A4) will bolt up fine but again, clearance issue similar to J32A2 (intake) valve prevents it to work properly. The J30A4 intake manifold is similar to J32A2 which is dual stage along with piston similarity (valve clearance) except that J30A4 piston bore is 86mm vs. 89mm for J32A2 OR J32A4 (TL) and compression is slightly lower 10.0:1 vs. 10.5:1.

Therefore, you can do the following:
a. J30A4 pistons swap into J30A1 block first. Then bolt up J30A4 heads/manifold (upper/lower). Stock ECU can be used with Dr. Evil. You can attempt a J30A4 ECU + 6MT + wire harness mess but do you really want to?

b. Complete J32A2 engine swap or separate block/heads/manifold (upper/lower) + Dr. Evil w/ stock ECU. All parts are transferable from J30A1 (water passage, timing, all belts, etc.)

c. Sell you car and get either complete 7th. gen AV6 or used CL-S 6MT or any other RWD/AWD car of your choice.

d. Just J32A2 cam swap into stock J30A1 heads.

Hope it helps.

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
I'll go for choice "c". you're nuts. :laugh:

good info! :cool:

·
530whp soon
1,993 Posts
Yep, choice C is the best assuming the current car is worth something.

·
Registered
37 Posts
???? for 02AV6

Seeing you seem to be pretty knowledegable about the swaps....what if anything else needs to be done to compliment the J32A2 cam swap? I got time to catch up now on what I am missing out on....Want a 1650HP turbine engine for your car.....think you can swap that...getcha a good deal...like 200K brand new in the box

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey thanks 02AV6 your work is graetly appreciated and knowledgeable! I have looked at the cl-s cam swap for low-end torque, but when you ran the numbers on the dyno I was thiking of a J35 swap! Thank goodness for tax season! :) I just want to launch off the line with my back impression on the seat when I get out. :D I have been looking for J32 engine on line due to the Iron sleeving in the cylinder (Good thinking) to improve on heat dissapation. I found one on ebay but checked again and it was gone! :( I have the write up that you have posted as a wallpaper to give me options on what to do with my 12 sec baby! I have ben searching in the 7th gen forum for information for my project. Have found some info useful and some not, but I am still searching! :up2: Haven't found a pic of a stock exhaust system for the 03+ yet to see if any possible match problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to bring back the dead...

Anyone know if I can replace my j30a1 with a j30a4? How difficult is this? a4 had new tranny put in 2k miles ago... and my a1 tranny just crapped out...

·
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,820 Posts
Anyone know if I can replace my j30a1 with a j30a4? How difficult is this? a4 had new tranny put in 2k miles ago... and my a1 tranny just crapped out...
Technically, you could. Would cost alot and be alot of work... alot.

It's not going to bolt right up into your chassis. It is a DBW engine which will require some expert wiring.

However, the A4 tranny WILL mount up to the J30A1, IF that tranny is an 03-06. Bellhousing changed in 07-08.

If you wanna swap engines, go J35A3/A4 or J32A2. A4 tranny will bolt up to either engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How much am i expecting to pay to put the A4 in the 02 accord? Does anyone know someone in So Cal that can do it? Any other parts from the 03 that would fit my 02? To keep as spares or swap out??

·
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,820 Posts
Since your in Cali, you wanna get with nighthawk04v6. He is the Guru out there on the west coast. He road races, has a shop and does great work.

Check out some of his threads in the 7th gen accord section.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Technically, you could. Would cost alot and be alot of work... alot.

It's not going to bolt right up into your chassis. It is a DBW engine which will require some expert wiring.

However, the A4 tranny WILL mount up to the J30A1, IF that tranny is an 03-06. Bellhousing changed in 07-08.

If you wanna swap engines, go J35A3/A4 or J32A2. A4 tranny will bolt up to either engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts