Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I can hear a tick comming from my engine which appears to be my valves, Its been going on for a while sounds the same as it did 6 months ago, never got any louder, anyone experiencing this problem, HONDA wants around 500 to adjust my valves :\

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
it only cost $120 at my dealer to do a valve adjustment, and that includes replacing the gasket too. what kind of shady stealership are you going to?

·
Registered
722 Posts
^wow thats deal, I remember it was around $400 at my dealership when it was time for the scheduled valve adjustment for my AV6.

·
Registered
722 Posts
^lol. Honestly, for that amount of money, I would talk to Paul and have him build you a set of heads for a little more. P&P, valve job, Tl-s cams, milled to increase compression.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha not to good with internal stuff :\ Far from being a mechanic, but its a honda dealership the guy said around 500 for a valve adjustment =[ haha paperboy weren't you the one tryna hook me up with the tein SS :D if that offer still stands in a couple of months i will take you for it, I'll drive down to socal to pick it up :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^lol. Honestly, for that amount of money, I would talk to Paul and have him build you a set of heads for a little more. P&P, valve job, Tl-s cams, milled to increase compression.
How much would that run, and would I have to pump 91 octane ? Sorry don't know much

·
Registered
722 Posts
You would have to contact member NVA-AV6, Paul is his name. If you want a bump in compression, yes, premium gas. However, you will get better gas milege if your worried about gas prices.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha thanks alot, I don't know if I'm going to do that nothing looking for performance in my accord yet :) But on the other hand should I just take my car to a auto shop ? or to the dealers for my Valves adjusted

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get the tools and manuals to adjust your valves and do it yourself. Your testes will increase in size and you will have tools to show for it.

Alltrade 648827 10mm valve adjustment tool
amazon.com
Under $12.

Feeler gauges

Save $. Learn.

·
A Registered User, I am
416 Posts
You would have to contact member NVA-AV6, Paul is his name. If you want a bump in compression, yes, premium gas. However, you will get better gas milege if your worried about gas prices.
So with stock compression, running 91 gas wouldn't be optimal/beneficial?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Performance gains are debatable, my opinion, it made my car run smoother and I got better gas milage.
I tired to run 91 vs 87 to see if there really was any better gas mileage, in all honesty, I didn't see a HUGE difference in gas milage to use 91. Here 87 is typically 10-15 cents cheaper then 91 per litre (canada). If you work that out to a typical fill, I usually average 50-55 litres in a fill, so if we take 50 litres, that works out to be 5 - 7.5$ more per tank. Now to make it worth while, I would need to run substantially longer, and the increase in gas mileage vs cost, your looking at running at least 50+ extra kms to break even and more to make it cost effective, and I can tell you from my experience, there was no way I was getting 50 more km's out of a tank of gas.

I do agree it seemed to run smoother, but thats about it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
@triplep, I understand, Thats why some people run it and some don't. I got an extra 50 miles per fill when I switched to synthetic and started using premium gas. By the way, you have to wait a couple tanks for the ecu to adjust to the higher octane.

@tnguyenv, I would just try to find a different dealer. I could be wrong, but it seems like a job i would only trust a honda with.

·
03 AV6 Coupe
1,628 Posts
So with stock compression, running 91 gas wouldn't be optimal/beneficial?
From my experience and what I have learned it is benificial to run 91+ octane in our accord V6's. Our ECU will adjust. I have been running 91 octane since day 1 and never have heard a knock. I have heard other Accord V6s knocking on 87 octane. The ECU will get the signal from the knock sensor and retard timing hence a reduction in power. just my 2 cents

·
Stilto
35 Posts
I did the math comparing 10 tanks of 87 and 10 tanks of 91. The average increase in cost was 6% and the average gain in mpg was 6.35%!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
paperboy weren't you the one tryna hook me up with the tein SS :D if that offer still stands in a couple of months i will take you for it, I'll drive down to socal to pick it up :)
contact me when you're ready to buy it and i'll refer you to the shop that i go to for parts.

and btw guys the honda dealer around me is goudy honda. they do valve adjustments for $120 when i asked last year.

·
A Registered User, I am
416 Posts
Performance gains are debatable, my opinion, it made my car run smoother and I got better gas milage.
From my experience and what I have learned it is benificial to run 91+ octane in our accord V6's. Our ECU will adjust. I have been running 91 octane since day 1 and never have heard a knock. I have heard other Accord V6s knocking on 87 octane. The ECU will get the signal from the knock sensor and retard timing hence a reduction in power. just my 2 cents
yeah I've been running 91 gas since the first fill also. Thanks for answering the questions guys. Just wanted to make sure 91 octane doesn't hurt durability and performance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts