Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a an 07 6mt Accord sedan and recently picked up a J32a3 from a 2005 TL that I plan on swapping but am interested in installing J35 crank and rods with 05 RL pistons for 11.0:1 compression and possibly considered high compression K20 +3mm pistons. I also considered a J36 build with J37 crank/rods/Pistons if I find that cheaper but if I'm not mistaken I'd be stuck at that compression since there's less options for retrofitted high comp Pistons. I know there's been a lot of debate on dollar amount spent on a J35 swap and the horsepower plateaus at 5500RPM while a J30 keeps pulling. I know Sonnic has 270whp on the J30 which is awesome and I love how easily you can pull power from these engines with intake/exhaust mods to let them breathe. Sooo... My main reason for this thread is I've searched and read a lot of threads without solid results aside from discussion and opinions on the swap and most related threads are over 40 pages long so I know I've probably missed some good info. I'm sure my injectors would be near max duty cycle and benefit bigger injectors but what's the best recommendation? I've seen many options. I'm basically trying to decide what I can get away with displacement wise without a tune and at what point I would need a tune. I'm open to both ideas but just trying to get a financial plan together. I'm a Honda tech and would do all the work myself so there's no need to quote labor prices. Also although the 3.5L 5500rpm plateau doesn't bother me I'm curious if anyone has actually done bisimoto stage 2 cams or J35 TL-S or RL cams in that setup or the dual throttle bodies to help it breathe and flow more at high RPM (with dyno proof). Btw I would also plan on porting the heads myself to help with flow. I currently have intake and exhaust with a test pipe but also plan on J-pipes for this car soon and a 3.7 IM.
This car is my daily so the torque of the J35 would be more beneficial to me than the continued hp pull above 5500rpm. I don't plan on boosting it so please stick to the J35 and J32 swap subject.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
There is nothing like the feeling of the torque that you get from the J35 & J36. So alot has to do with driving style. The long stroke gives you gobs of low end torque that is instant, 1st gear is basically useless unless you are on a steeper slope. Being able to climb hills at highway speed effortlessly. This also translates to higher fuel econ under normal driving conditions. People have regularly report mid to upper 3X mpg on the highway with the highest recorded being 43MPG avg driving from VA to TX keeping reciepts for gals pumped vs miles driven. And as far as the power plateu of the long stroke engines I now have a set of 09 RL heads I have plans for that I believe will allow for the exhaust side of the heads to be opened up without killing the low end torque.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Torque and fuel economy would be perfect for my needs. I commute 70 miles per day and tow a jetski with my car also. Im looking for best power increase on a budget. I'm a Honda tech so all my labor is free and I have a donor J32a3 to build on the side. TL lsd may be in the plans too... Is that only in the 6 speed TL? Frankenstein engine build is perfect for me budget wise

·
Registered
934 Posts
I love the TQ on my J35. Thing is a beast.

Im also planning on getting bisimoto stage 2 cams. I have an invoice that they paypaled me. One of my dogs got sick though. So I am waiting for her to get better before I purchase. Just in case the vet bills rack up. Rather pay for the dog to get better than pay for cams.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I love the TQ on my J35. Thing is a beast.

Im also planning on getting bisimoto stage 2 cams. I have an invoice that they paypaled me. One of my dogs got sick though. So I am waiting for her to get better before I purchase. Just in case the vet bills rack up. Rather pay for the dog to get better than pay for cams.
I have a set of j30a4/5 cams if you need them. They have ~60k miles when I got them. I was going to do regrind but then went with the TL-S

·
Registered
329 Posts
Torque and fuel economy would be perfect for my needs. I commute 70 miles per day and tow a jetski with my car also. Im looking for best power increase on a budget. I'm a Honda tech so all my labor is free and I have a donor J32a3 to build on the side. TL lsd may be in the plans too... Is that only in the 6 speed TL? Frankenstein engine build is perfect for me budget wise
If you already have the J32a3 donor, the J36 is your best option. 04 to 06 TL 6spd has LSD or you can just install the LSD diff into a 03-07 accord 6spd. Gearing is the same as the TL. This was the path I took. You can check out my thread for my setup. I have a few dyno comparisons there. I did a few complementary mods for the build tho. This is in preparation for a Dual Throttle Body IM and custom exhaust. GL with whichever path you choose tho.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'll be putting the rl heads on my build if I can ever get the bottom end together, I b interested in hearing your plans for the rl heads paul.

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
I'll be putting the rl heads on my build if I can ever get the bottom end together, I b interested in hearing your plans for the rl heads paul.
Pretty simple, port the hell out of them, LOL. Normally I only port the intake side aggressively and mildly work the exhaust side in order to preserve torque but I expect that with VTec now also being on the exhaust side I can open up the ports without the dramatic loss of low end I have seen. So I will build a J36 low end for my car when I get a chance. Get dynos of my car in it's current "painfully" stock form, then toss in the J36 with ported J30 or J32 heads, then the RL heads and see what the progression is.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sounds like a good plan...what year did the rl start having intake and exhaust vtec?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a an 07 6mt Accord sedan and recently picked up a J32a3 from a 2005 TL that I plan on swapping but am interested in installing J35 crank and rods with 05 RL pistons for 11.0:1 compression and possibly considered high compression K20 +3mm pistons. I also considered a J36 build with J37 crank/rods/Pistons if I find that cheaper but if I'm not mistaken I'd be stuck at that compression since there's less options for retrofitted high comp Pistons. I know there's been a lot of debate on dollar amount spent on a J35 swap and the horsepower plateaus at 5500RPM while a J30 keeps pulling. I know Sonnic has 270whp on the J30 which is awesome and I love how easily you can pull power from these engines with intake/exhaust mods to let them breathe. Sooo... My main reason for this thread is I've searched and read a lot of threads without solid results aside from discussion and opinions on the swap and most related threads are over 40 pages long so I know I've probably missed some good info. I'm sure my injectors would be near max duty cycle and benefit bigger injectors but what's the best recommendation? I've seen many options. I'm basically trying to decide what I can get away with displacement wise without a tune and at what point I would need a tune. I'm open to both ideas but just trying to get a financial plan together. I'm a Honda tech and would do all the work myself so there's no need to quote labor prices. Also although the 3.5L 5500rpm plateau doesn't bother me I'm curious if anyone has actually done bisimoto stage 2 cams or J35 TL-S or RL cams in that setup or the dual throttle bodies to help it breathe and flow more at high RPM (with dyno proof). Btw I would also plan on porting the heads myself to help with flow. I currently have intake and exhaust with a test pipe but also plan on J-pipes for this car soon and a 3.7 IM.
This car is my daily so the torque of the J35 would be more beneficial to me than the continued hp pull above 5500rpm. I don't plan on boosting it so please stick to the J35 and J32 swap subject.
Thanks!!
Hey. Just checking how yr swap went with. 2007 accord sedan 6mt with j32a3 motor. Any issues with bell housing? I'm about to do same swap but didn't know if I was gonna have mating issues with bell housing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts