Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of purchasing all the items necessary to install a J32A into my sand rail, but I have questions I cannot seem to find answers to.

Engine only to VW transaxle.

I have measured a J30A and know it will fit in my space, is the J32A the same length?

I do not want drive-by-wire throttle, as I'm trying to keep the failure of those DBW pieces out of the equation, because of the water and dirt always at my feet. Can I utilize the mechanical throttle body from a J30A or the one that comes with a J32A JDM engine?

What ECU should be used? I only need the basic of functions, inputs and outputs, constant, ignition, tach, oil pressure, water temp, etc. Also do not want the immobilizer function.

Thank you

·
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,772 Posts
There are many variants of the 3.0 litre and 3.2 litre, so when you say J30A and J32A that is too broad.
Since you are going with Cable throttle body, my answers are based on the J30A1 and the J32A2.

I could not find the answer for the engine block dimensions. This is a big guess here: The block dimensions for the J30A1 and J32A2 COULD be identical. I think, and i emphasize THINK, Honda achieved their different litre sizes from the cylinder bore and stroke, not from a different size/bigger block.

The throttle body port/diameter for the J30A1 is 60mm. J32A2 is 64mm, therefore, you would need to use the corresponding intake manifold. Example, you use the J30A1 engine but want to use the J32A2 T/B: you would need to use the J32A2 intake manifold and the J32A2 lower runners. You can use the J30A1 injectors for the J32A2 I/M.

You need to use the corresponding ECU for the engine, you cannot mix and match.

For these generation of ECU's, regarding the immobilizer: pull the chip. This will cause an everlasting DTC/CEL and the engine will take a little longer to fire up (ignition) because the ECU will be looking for the immobilizer system. This will NOT throw the ECU into limp mode. I went this route with my former 01 Accord with a J35A3, using a 5 speed auto from a 06 Accord, and using an Acura CL-s auto trans ECU.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check out the Sandrail Tech forum at glamisdunes.com. There is a lot of Sandrail specific Honda knowledge over there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are many variants of the 3.0 litre and 3.2 litre, so when you say J30A and J32A that is too broad.
Since you are going with Cable throttle body, my answers are based on the J30A1 and the J32A2.

I could not find the answer for the engine block dimensions. This is a big guess here: The block dimensions for the J30A1 and J32A2 COULD be identical. I think, and i emphasize THINK, Honda achieved their different litre sizes from the cylinder bore and stroke, not from a different size/bigger block.

The throttle body port/diameter for the J30A1 is 60mm. J32A2 is 64mm, therefore, you would need to use the corresponding intake manifold. Example, you use the J30A1 engine but want to use the J32A2 T/B: you would need to use the J32A2 intake manifold and the J32A2 lower runners. You can use the J30A1 injectors for the J32A2 I/M.

You need to use the corresponding ECU for the engine, you cannot mix and match.

For these generation of ECU's, regarding the immobilizer: pull the chip. This will cause an everlasting DTC/CEL and the engine will take a little longer to fire up (ignition) because the ECU will be looking for the immobilizer system. This will NOT throw the ECU into limp mode. I went this route with my former 01 Accord with a J35A3, using a 5 speed auto from a 06 Accord, and using an Acura CL-s auto trans ECU.
Thank you for this information.

I've been told, but not verified, that indeed the 30A, 32A2 and even the J35A4 are all based on the same external dimensions, so now in theory, I believe I can get a J35A4, with mechanical throttle body and ECU from same vehicle (Odyssey likely) and have it operate correctly.

One thing that has also been brought to my attention is that VTEC will not operate correctly if the ECU doesn't see a certain input from the transmission. But other people have argued that everything will operate fine, including VTEC. Do you have any insight to this possible issue?

Thank you

·
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,772 Posts
.....One thing that has also been brought to my attention is that VTEC will not operate correctly if the ECU doesn't see a certain input from the transmission. But other people have argued that everything will operate fine, including VTEC. Do you have any insight to this possible issue?

Thank you

I do not have any insight or an answer yo your question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe the mounting dimensions are the same for the J30, J32, and J35 but could be wrong. They all use the same adapter plate to the VW transmission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts