Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. So here is the deal, I’ve got a 2005 v6 6mt j30a4 blown in my car so i’m wondering if a JDM J30a engine is a direct bolt on on our car and if the wiring and ECU will be good with that.

I can’t find a direct j30a4 in my town this is why i want to purchase the JDM.

Any difference between transmission(at vs mt) ... sensor.. wiring .. year of the engine and the car would be appreciate to know

Thanks for the answer

·
Registered
61 Posts
short answer, the JDM j30a isn’t identical to the USDM j30A4. The jdm version has VCM, i-vtech, and a 10:5-1 compression ratio vs US specs of non-VCM, regular vtech and 10:0-1 compression. Haven’t tried swapping them myself, but based on those specs I would guess it’s not a direct plug and play. At a minimum VCM would have to be disabled and you may have issues with vtech.

Your 2 best options are getting either a j30a4 or j30a5, 03-07, automatic or manual doesn’t matter. Or, get an 04 through 06 j32a3 from the Acura TL, transmission doesn’t matter. The TL engine is a direct drop and it will run with your oem ECU although it will run more optimally with an Acura TL 6 speed ECU. You might get lean codes at WOT with your stock ECU.

car-part.com has a country-wide junkyard inventory and a lot of yards offer shipping. Finding a decent engine on there shouldn’t be too hard.

For info on the swaps, do a search on here and other forums. A few things need to be swapped over from your old engine to the new one if you end up buying an engine that was initially mated to an auto tranny.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Just buy a j32a2 There are plenty to go around or a j35a6

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just finished installing a JDM J30a engine in place of my J30A4.

It works and drives better than my old engine, but it has issues.

I should have swapped the camshafts, VTEC rocker assemblies, and the Oil Filter housing with the VTEC Solenoid and VTEC Oil pressure sensor.

If I had done that, I think everything would have been perfect.

As it is, I wired the green/white stripe 12 volt line to the green/white stripe Rocker Arm solenoid. I also tied in the Blue/gray wire from the VTEC Oil pressure.

I ran a black ground wire to the black wire in the rear Rocker Arm solenoid.

This makes the ECU happy and it has no codes.

The problem is that around 5000 rpm the ECU wants to activate the VTEC solenoid.

When that rear arm solenoid turns on, I believe it deactivates the rocker assemblies. Basically the rear cylinder head shuts down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just finished installing a JDM J30a engine in place of my J30A4.

It works and drives better than my old engine, but it has issues.

I should have swapped the camshafts, VTEC rocker assemblies, and the Oil Filter housing with the VTEC Solenoid and VTEC Oil pressure sensor.

If I had done that, I think everything would have been perfect.

As it is, I wired the green/white stripe 12 volt line to the green/white stripe Rocker Arm solenoid. I also tied in the Blue/gray wire from the VTEC Oil pressure.

I ran a black ground wire to the black wire in the rear Rocker Arm solenoid.

This makes the ECU happy and it has no codes.

The problem is that around 5000 rpm the ECU wants to activate the VTEC solenoid.

When that rear arm solenoid turns on, I believe it deactivates the rocker assemblies. Basically the rear cylinder head shuts down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts