Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an electric cutout installed at my local shop. Works awesome! I love how i can control the sound of my exhaust. I have it installed after the cat, but i was wondering if i can have any negative side effects of driving around with the exhaust opened up? Or slightly opened up? Any information is appreciated :D

·
Banned
4,406 Posts
WOW PLEASE POST UP A SOUND CLIP! :) how much does something like this cost? I've been wanting to do this on my 6th gen for a while! where did you buy the cut out? btw, I dont think there will be any problems with you running a cutout considering its after all the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
327 Posts
yes, they open up your exhuast before your mufflers. i got a cutout on my 6th gen....sounds nice but gets annoying after a while.

·
Banned
4,406 Posts
Kingof3rdinput said:
in all honesty, wouldnt that just sound like a ghetto hooptie, w/ no muffler? Those sound like s**t.
On a 4cylinder it would sound bad. On a 6 or 8 its got a little muscle to it. :) HIREN was running no mufflers on his car, sounded pretty good from the video footage I heard. I've been wanting one of these for a while, but I havent been sure what to buy. -Jai

·
Registered
127 Posts
TotallyJDM said:
yes, they open up your exhuast before your mufflers. i got a cutout on my 6th gen....sounds nice but gets annoying after a while.
The sound gets annoying or the fact that you have to open it gets annoying???

Can you just partially open the cutout?

Also, I'm curious about the A:F ratio. When you make modifications to the car that changes the ammount of air comming in or going out of the engine, aren't you supposed to reset your ECU?

If so, then does opening the cutout on the fly screw with your your A:F ratio and mess with the ECU??

·
Banned
4,406 Posts
Scubaman3D said:

Also, I'm curious about the A:F ratio. When you make modifications to the car that changes the ammount of air comming in or going out of the engine, aren't you supposed to reset your ECU?

If so, then does opening the cutout on the fly screw with your your A:F ratio and mess with the ECU??
it wont make much of a difference at all for your a/f so as long as you install it after your 02 sensor. You might even lose a pound or two of torque because of the decrease in back pressure. It will give you more horsepower at WOT though. The whole point of an electric cutout is so you can open it up when youre on the highway at WOT. Or just to impress your friends, hehe. Some of my friends with muscle cars have them, its pretty cool seeing a car quiet one minute, then roaring the next.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There used to be a post on here with someone that had a cutout, like a week ago. I dont know what happened to it. I got the idea from him. But anyway, i got the cutout from QuickTimePerformance.com. The 2.25 inch one. Works great

·
Registered
933 Posts
benefits: opens up your exhaust at higher rpms, giving you greater flow output, increasing hp

downfalls: when closed, may actually damage the flow of your exhaust (the piping that goes to the butterfly valve may cause restriction in terms of flow), it's loud as hell when opened, may leak at low rpms, making your exhaust sound funny...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Scubaman3D said:

you can on an electric cutout. i just have a manual cutout. so i have to jack up- the car to open it. what i meant by annoying is because its loud as a mofo

·
Registered
127 Posts
Alex said:
downfalls: when closed, may actually damage the flow of your exhaust (the piping that goes to the butterfly valve may cause restriction in terms of flow), it's loud as hell when opened, may leak at low rpms, making your exhaust sound funny...
I think the turbulence it might create are negligible, but wouldn't it leak at higher rpm, when more exhause gasses are being forced through??

·
Registered
933 Posts
Scubaman3D said:
I think the turbulence it might create are negligible, but wouldn't it leak at higher rpm, when more exhause gasses are being forced through??
well i suppose it'll leak at higher rpms too haha

·
03 silver v6 6mt
150 Posts
Hello, I was the one who put the post on the cutout. sorry, no dyno yet. Just bought new rims from wheelmax.com. no budget for the dyno yet. next is new taillights and probably a carbon fiber hood. If I do get a chance I will dyno it unless someone does it before me.

·
AV6 OG
633 Posts
Scubaman3D said:

I have a QTEC on my STi. I just installed a wideband 02 sensor a couple days ago and ran some logs from it connected to my engine management to find out the Air fuel ratios between the qtec open and closed. My results were that it runs .2-.3 leaner, especially at redline when open compared to when closed. In my case this is most likely caused by my injectors being maxed out towards redline. If the av6 has enough injector and fuel coming through then the afrs should stay the same. I'll test this theory once I get a new fuel pump and injectors on my car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts