Accord V6 Forum banner

LED Headlights and Angel Eyes - Custom project

21K views 58 replies 34 participants last post by  AnthonyB 
#1 ·
I saw some Acura TL's with some LED mod's and I think we can do this ourselves. I have some 80mm CCFL rings for Angel Eyes as well, I've seen some guy on driveaccord.net with them installed.

Here are some links:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3139628
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641022&page=12
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=312926#post312926

LED's are from oznium.com

Halo's are from lightwerkz.net

I think that I want to do the LED's but instead of the full strip I will black out everyother bulb because they're too intense and too close together IMO. Then I'll put the CCFL ring on the low beam projectors cause they don't look like they fit very cleanly on high beams. That being said, here's some pictures of some concepts of the LED's. Not sure which one to go with so I'm open to suggestions. I think I will smoke the amber side markers though, cause the LED's will look pretty sharp on the side and I can get rid of the amber (I'm using chrome bulbs in the front turn signals as well so I won't have any amber at all, except when using the lights).

I used electricians tape to cover alternating leds, except for the end section next to the sidemarkers just to add a bit of punch since I'm going to smoke the amber plastic. Not sure if I will do this for sure or not. I will use flat black paint to blend the strip into the headlights and will cover. So the tape will come in handy. Oh and that is one embarrisingly dirty car thanks to a very cold canadian winter where we salted and sanded like crazy. Now it's well above freezing and it's been a mess. i will keep updating this post and should have some clean pictures later this spring (I don't think I'll get to this project till April).

Please let me know what you think, good or bad....yeah yeah, if I could afford an Audi I would have bought one but this should still look pretty unique on an accord. I also have Civic SiR (DC5) sidemarker turn signals I'm going to put on as well.

Let me know which of the two layouts you like.

See less See more
#6 ·
I washed that car 3 days before the pictures. It's been -30C, too cold to wash and we salt up here so now that it's melting it doesn't stay clean long.

Hard to see from the pictures but there are actually nice natural ledges on our lights for attaching the strips inside the housing. Running them outside gives a bit of an idea how it would look. Oh, and they are actually White LED's they just have a bit of a HID blue tinge.

#43 ·
I washed that car 3 days before the pictures. It's been -30C, too cold to wash and we salt up here so now that it's melting it doesn't stay clean long.

Hard to see from the pictures but there are actually nice natural ledges on our lights for attaching the strips inside the housing. Running them outside gives a bit of an idea how it would look. Oh, and they are actually White LED's they just have a bit of a HID blue tinge.
I see...I've never heard of an led with hid tinge before. Got any information on those? I'd like to know where you purchased them.

#8 ·
WTF can you do when you're driving in snow and the roads are salted? lol...my car looks the same, it's not like you can go out in -30 degree weather and hand wash your car - and if you do, the second you hit the road your car gets all dirty again. No point...and taking it through a car wash, unless it's touch less you're just asking to get scratches in your paint.

BTW, I like the Audi design, you'll just have to play with yours to get it the way you like. I mean, it's your hard earned dollar, do what you want. I think it's unique and that's pretty cool in my book. To each his own they say...

#9 ·
Picked up a headlight at a wrecker and payed a good price for it so now I have something to take apart and experiment with. Better than destroying a $500 headlight. Won't have too much time till next month to take it apart and experiement but I'll update with the progress as it goes. Thanks for the opinions so far and keep them coming.

Just had another thought, a shorter strip might look good on the top as well. Gonna try that when I take this apart and post some pics.

#12 ·
#15 ·
Well, this has taken a bit of research and testing. I've spent a lot of money on different LED's and parts and have even talked to a couple machine shops to look at some CNC work, but alas, that is way too expensive....around $1500-$2500 was getting quotes for, no thanks. I have two spare headlights thanks to eBay and the suckers buying those ugly Coupe aftermarket headlights and selling their OEM ones. I've completely ripped them apart and have finally completed my first LED strip which looks nothing like the pictures. I ended up placing an ABS 3/8 inch angle bar across the top of the housing, slightly inset and drilled holes for the 4-chip Superflux LED's from Oznium. I used a combo of saws and dremel to get the curve I needed and will paint black to match the housing. It's gonna look great. Since I'm into the headlight anyway, I'm sending the spare halogen projectors to Caesar at Lightwerkz and he's putting in s2000 projectors with TSX-R lenses. When I get them back, I can install into factory clamps so thier height adjustable like stock, I've got 95mm angel eyes to install on the low beams, the LED eyebrow and then it should be sweet. If you're interested in this mod I will be posting pics sometime in May as the weather continues to warm up and I have some free time. For now, if anyone is interested in tackling this, the end result I think will look very good. Some tips: You can't heat and bend the ABS or Styrene modeling stuff worth anything worth keeping, the flexible LED strips are flaky (trust me I tried and spent a lot of money on these only to be dissappointed by output and they short out like crazy), so the best method is individual 4-chip superflux leds on abs 3/8 inch angle (found at any serious modeling store...think remote control and custom build stores) and cut slots to make it flexible (pics to come next month or so).

#20 ·
Well, Projectors are off to lightwerkz and I'm off to the Dominican so when I get back at the end of the month I will complete the LED strips and put together a bit of a how to, with pics and the like. I won't be able to fully complete them till Caesar finishes with the retrofit so there may be a bit of an update early next month and hopefully the completed project by mid May, lots of pics and how to to come. Stay tuned!!

#24 ·
Okay, it's done but you'll have to visit Drive Accord to see them (near end of page 3...lots of pics). Oh, and for all you sunshine boys who gave me crap for a dirty car, we had a break in the rain today so I cleaned her up for pics:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26661

#26 ·
that's actually really nice

how did you have the wires go in the back of the headlight housing?

#27 ·
I routed the wires behind the reflective shroud inbetween the high and low beam then out the low beam projector opening in the back as the s2000 projector did not allow for a tight seal with the gromet (were some openings so I routed wires through and siliconed it). Seal is great, have had lots of rain and no fogging.

#29 ·
The lights look great! What was the plastic strip before you modded it for the LEDs? I was considering doing some sort of LED strip in my new retros, but the 6th gen headlight isn't too inviting to the idea.

#30 ·
The retro cost me 375 for the s2K projectors, 240 for labour, 70 for the TSX-R lenses (well worth it), 199 for the Digital HID kit, and 50 for the wiring harness to the H11, total was about $950ish. Would be a bit more if you send the entire headlights into them as the would have to dissassemble it and they got me in quicker because I sent them just the projector and reflector from the headlight.

The plastic strip is some modeling plastic from Plastruct
http://www.plastruct.com/
I used the ABS type instead of Styrene as its stronger and more resistant to heat. Look up the Structural shapes in the Catalogue section. I used the biggest size, think it was 3/8 inch angle. Will do a write up later.

#33 ·
Trust me, it would work in no other location on this car (I tried extensive experimentation and spent a lot of money looking into it). In the end, it increases the "Predatorial" Hawk eyes that Honda used to develop the Coupe headlights. Now the Hawk has eyelids and they look mean. IMO.

#35 ·
A couple new pics, just for fun:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.