Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone new of an aftermarket LSD available 6MT 2004. Would the CL-S LSD bolt on, does the TL have an LSD, if so anyone tried the install? I would appreciate all help here.

·
Your Mom Drives a Honda
1,999 Posts
the person that did it was also the person that went from auto to manual as well i believe.....but i recall hearing that it was a pain......IMO i don't really think with the limited possibilities our cars have that it would truley be worth it....

·
Registered
106 Posts
smokin6speed said:
the person that did it was also the person that went from auto to manual as well i believe.....but i recall hearing that it was a pain......IMO i don't really think with the limited possibilities our cars have that it would truley be worth it....
:iagree:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I understand that the limited slip will only truly shine if I took the accord out on the track. I will go ahead and search for the previously mentioned Cl-s conversion. I knew that the swap would be pretty time and cost consuming, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone had tried it before. Thanks again.

·
darkside / gen7accord.com
1,071 Posts
i'm planning on doing this in about a year =) let me know if you hear anything about it. Where is this thread about cl-s differentials? I can't find it ugh =X

·
Registered
158 Posts
pch said:
to do this is just buying the differentila and installing it right?
Yeah but it requires removing the transmission, which is an all-day job. I've done it on a 4cyl Honda, but not the V6. A long, tough job without a lift. Or you can pay $1000 and have someone do it for you. :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'd wait until you had to crack the tranny for a reason before doing it. Like if you had a bearing go bad. Then you gotta open it anyway, so that's the time to put the lsd in.

So lets say I have a bad bearing and the tranny needs to be torn apart, at this point, is the lsd just a drop in?

J

·
Registered
158 Posts
I believe so. IIRC the schematics posted in the older threads show an identical bolt pattern between parts. It looks like it will just drop in. An interesting question is how this would affect the TCS. For the CL-S, Acura developed the LSD as a better solution to the torque-steer, traction problems exhibited by high-power FWD systems.

With the lower-tech TCS, brake force is applied to the slipping wheel, forcing the diff to send power to the other wheel. With the LSD, power is mechanically distributed to the wheel with best traction, but without the de-stablizing use of brakes. Also, where TCS is either on or off, the LSD has a range of power to distribute- much smoother. This is why many of the car mags described the CL-S as one of the best handling FWD cars in the world.

But let's say you swap the LSD into your Accord. Now, you've got both TCS and the LSD trying to do the same thing at the same time. It sounds like a potential problem. Although I guess you could just drive with your TCS always off?

---Edit----

Good summary from an Evo site:

"Helical-type limited-slip differentials offer several advantages over the clutch-type or viscous LSDs. Viscous limited-slip units tend to wear out after extended use, as their oil is heated and reheated until it degrades, rendering the unit ineffective. Clutch-type differentials provide good off-the-line traction, but the 50/50 stability that's beneficial in a straight line is not so desirable when a vehicle is turning. The helical-type limited slip provides better durability and performance when it's needed most: while turning. Unlike an open differential, which shifts power to the wheel with less grip, the helical LSD constantly shifts the bias toward the wheel that has more traction.

Under straight-line acceleration, power remains evenly split between the front wheels. While cornering (e.g. accelerating out of a turn), the helical LSD directs power away from the inside wheel and toward the outside wheel, allowing the driver to begin accelerating earlier and exit the turn at a higher speed, without losing traction in the process.

Performance is also improved on slippery mud or snow that's often encountered on isolated dirt roads, where the Lancer Evolution series spent much of its development."

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know this thread is over a year old since the last post, but any updates on an LSD for the 7th gens? Thanks everybody!

·
I no Nintendo
1,400 Posts
you can ask 6-Speed Demon but I have not seen him in a long time. He was the guy getting a sc done. he made a thread but I think people got stupid and they closed it. after that I have not seen him, but what he told me was just to go with a TL LSD unlike the CL-S its more or less a plug and play... he had it done by a dealer it was about 1k i think or maybeee 2 lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Appreciate it gizmo. I just can't keep the tire from breaking loose. All this power and no way to put/keep it to the ground! Thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
what about for the autos? any of the acura autos have lsd?

·
GT35R Turbo'd 3.5L AV6
793 Posts
dkubek said:
Appreciate it gizmo. I just can't keep the tire from breaking loose. All this power and no way to put/keep it to the ground! Thanks
You will thank me if you would spend only 200-250 (2 tires) for some really sticky tires damn near all your traction problems would be solved and you don't even need to open up your tranny! Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, I am serious this will solve your off the line acceleration problems. Best mod I ever did on my car... before the turbo..

L

1 - 20 of 20 Posts