Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has pics of their turbo setup can you please post pics of your setup. I'm mainly looking for ideas of the exhaust manifold setup. How did everyone that is running a turbo route the piping? TIA

·
Registered
57 Posts
Its been a while since ive been on here my setup should be in the gallery i forgot how load to pics on this site but barely enough space to do anything so ull have to make something out of nothing

·
Mr. Detail
1,136 Posts
You may be able to find more on the 3rd gen TL forum on acurazine. Its a lot more active than this forum has become.

Shame to see traffic falling so much because there is great information here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’ve been considering this as well, considering the miles are adding up on my original engine and ive been searching J32a3 from a wrecked 05 TL awaiting me.

Anyways, I think you’d probably have to have one custom made. A lot of guys go with the Rotrex belt driven “superchargers” that resemble a belt driven turbo and have success. I think there’s a member on here that may sell the full kits as well as partial kits depending on what you want/need. These seem to work well as space is a bit of an issue for piping and such (rear head in particular).

As far as custom fabrication, I’ve considered using the downpipe/up-pipe for the kits designed for the 98-02 accords, and ditching the headers that come with the kit as they do not work with our oval exhaust ports (which I believe is just a 2.5 inch piece of piping bent into an oval). However, I could imagine the lag may be considerable as the pipes go down, under the engine, and then back up to the battery location (which you’d also need to relocate). That seems to be really the only option as far as placement that comes to mind for a simple setup, there’s not much room for twins behind the rear cylinder head. I considered maybe a nasty compound setup to reduce lag in the battery location, but I imagine it would be an issue. As well, I don’t know how well our stock j30s would take it (frm sleeves) as well as the oval exhaust ports tend to trap a lot of heat. A good intercooler would probably be a must. I’d personally go single unless you want serious fab, in the location of the battery. Remember, two turbos = 2 of most of the associated components (oil feed/return and bov/wastegates, and piping etc.) If you can find an efficient way to route the exhaust to the battery space that’s probably the easiest method In my opinion. Others can share their thoughts, maybe I’m missing something.

Edit - if it’s the cheapest yet still functional method of boost your after, look into the prank parts supercharger adapter kit that uses the eaton m90 supercharger off the old gm 3800s (l67 and such). It’s designed for the CL and you’ll have to cut a large hole in the hood, but it’s possibly the cheapest method of forced induction on these cars, and I believe a few members have got it to work with our accords. Just a thought.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Had my j30a4 for the past 3 yrs with a borg warner 60mm. The turbo kicks in at 3 rpm so whatever lag im supposed to feel i never feel it. I would get an engine with no miles and break it in with a turbo.... i didnt learn my lesson the first time around. The biggest issues is getting exhaust leaks... especially the flange connecting the manifold and also my coupler gets snapped right off from the torque every now and than even when using a t bolt clamps

·
Registered
57 Posts
No i had a welder do it

·
Registered
57 Posts
Since there isnt alot of space.... piping might rub in certain areas eventually.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, as long as your turbo isn’t massively oversize you shouldn’t have lag issues, it’s the guys that slap on a huge wheel that have lag issues. There is a happy medium when it comes to picking the right turbo. To small and you’ll choke out the engine up top. Too big, you won’t make any boost/it’ll hit too late in the powerband. I’m sure you know this already though.

~3k would be basically ideal for boost to come on in my opinion. Seems like a good size turbo you’ve got going there. Not too big, but room to grow if it ever came down to it. Would you be able to share anymore specifics about the turbocharger? What model of b-w, is it an SX series?

Yeah space is kind of an issue, esp. at the rear head. The hardest part about the piping would be rear head I would imagine. I imagine rubbing/hitting other components would be an issue back here more than anywhere else.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you don't mine can you share pics. I would like to see really in depth pictures for all the piping and how it all comes together just to get an idea. Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
here are some pics

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts