Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im really new at this and i wantto lower my car. i already have those cheap coilover kits and might put em on. Do they cause any problems in the future? Im thinkin of lowering it 2 inches in the fornt and 1.5 in the back. would that look good? would the performance or handeling be any better? I dont want it to rub and i heard u need camber kits so it wont rub. do u need a camber kit if ur only lowering it 2 inches?

thank you

·
the Lost Sol
2,198 Posts
the lower u go the the stiffer the ride..i think...camber kits help even out ur tires wear...it'll rub only if u go too low and/or w/ big wheels (i.e. 18")

·
Registered
61 Posts
what you pay for is what your gonna get, like the above thread says get some better springs and some struts as well. Ive heard horror stories and seen rides that are lowered on the cheap springs....not worth the time and money in the end.

Look around on here in the classifieds or ebay from some ground controls or eibachs. I got my ground controls from laststarburning, im sure other v6p members will give u great deals

·
Large Member
505 Posts
jonnytran said:
hey im really new at this and i wantto lower my car. i already have those cheap coilover kits and might put em on. Do they cause any problems in the future? Im thinkin of lowering it 2 inches in the fornt and 1.5 in the back. would that look good? would the performance or handeling be any better? I dont want it to rub and i heard u need camber kits so it wont rub. do u need a camber kit if ur only lowering it 2 inches?

thank you
Give us a little more info on your car. Wheel and tire size? Springs/shocks you're looking for?

I have a '97 with KYB AGX shocks all around and Progress Group springs. My car sits about 2.5" lower than stock. The springs are advertised to lower my car 2.3" but I figure they've sagged a bit in 3 years. I have 18x7" wheels and 215/35/18 tires. I've never rubbed once, front or back, BUT, the ride is much more bouncy and stiff than stock and I do scrape my exhaust (Greddy SP) on speed bumps and driveway entrances.

If your willing to sacrifice ride quality for looks, go as low as you want to. If you've got bucks to spend, go with a full coilover system like a Tein setup so you can experiment with the ride height. You have quite a few options and your wise to ask around before you purchase something.
:D

Oh! Get camber kits!!! I have kits front and back and my tires are almost 5 years old with no signs of unusual wear. I figure I've got about 30,000 miles on my tires and still have quite a bit of tread left. If you go two inches lower without camber kits, plan on buying new tires every 8-12 months depending on how hard you drive. Been there done that. :winkgrin:

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!
999 Posts
hope they won't ride tooo rough
spring compression is very important when it comes to vehicle weight and corner weight

example : a 1350KG 4 cylinder accord can have 6kg/mm front and 4 kg/mm rear ( close to stock compression ) however, a 1450KG V6 accord will make those springs compress more on EVERY ring

I was gonna get a 4 banger set of springs, but then I found out about this factor and I will wait till next summer for a full coilover kit or some really good V6 springs that drop a comfy 2" all around

·
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!
999 Posts
well I've changed my mind
I'm gonna get the tein s.tech for 200 $ cdn shipped to my door
should fit well with my gr-2 since it's not that much more of a drop
I'm sure it will be lower then I4 but maybe mm rather then .5" +

·
Large Member
505 Posts
cowgodv6 said:
Good choice, cowgod. I believe Tein has a good warranty attached to their springs. Something like if they sag more than a certain number of millimeters in the first year, they'll replace them free of charge. They should work well with your KYBs. My AGX's work really well with aftermarket springs. Expect a stiffer ride but you knew that already. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
cowgodv6 said:
Yea, get those last time I did say I'm going to get it but then I spend the money on school stuff so I guess I'll have to wait until I save up again :( Get it and tell me how it handle :D

·
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!
999 Posts
cool guys I will
I'll order them in the spring, no rush to drop my ride in the snow and ice ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey. if i would get the tein springs, would i need to get shocks for that? i heard that the stock ones with springs are going to mess the shocks up in a year. does anybody with tein springs ahve any problems going up a driveway or anything? i dont know how low it is. i m going to put a ground kit all arround on pretty soon. does anybody have pix? thnx and camber kits are a must have for me because tires arent cheap.

·
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!
999 Posts
shocks and coils for better ride comfort

stock shocks suck on 1" drops or more
cause they are not made to handle a drop
GR-2's offer a nice compressed n2o chamber and handle decent ( wife has them on her civic with a 2.5" drop on H&R race coils )

·
Large Member
505 Posts
jonnytran said:
hey. if i would get the tein springs, would i need to get shocks for that? i heard that the stock ones with springs are going to mess the shocks up in a year. does anybody with tein springs ahve any problems going up a driveway or anything? i dont know how low it is. i m going to put a ground kit all arround on pretty soon. does anybody have pix? thnx and camber kits are a must have for me because tires arent cheap.
I suggest both shocks and springs. I had Progress springs over my stock shocks for about a month and hated the ride. As Cowgod said, the stock shocks can't handle shorter springs and leave you with a mushy ride. GR2's or AGX's are great with aftermarket springs and they don't cost an arm and a leg. More like just an arm and a foot. ;)

·
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!
999 Posts
forgot to mention I have GR-2 on my accord now, and I installed stock springs and it's a luxury ride

cannot wait for the tein :)

·
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!
999 Posts
getting my tein today @ 4pm ;)
guess what I'm gonna do this weekend ?
;)

·
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!
999 Posts
got my coils but didn't install them - too cold

got some eyelids to complete the JDM front look

will install the springs when I get some garage time and eyelids when I wash her down

1 - 20 of 45 Posts