Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cool: Alright fellas, Im thinking about lowering my car..ive researched the Tein H-techs and they seem to fit my category..my question is..would i have to change out my shocks..would it be safe just with the teins and stock shocks? Like would i just have to get an alignment kit or what? I just want it to ride good and when summer comes..i can throw some new wheels on it and have a good look..thanks for helping me out.

·
Registered
956 Posts
With h-techs your ride quality will be excellent but the stock shocks will blow in about 20-30K miles depending on how many mile you have on them already, after that you will have to buy new shocks. You might need a rear camber kit also if the camber is out.
IMO since you are doing it,might as well spend the money you will spend later on shocks right now and get some KONI Yellows if you can afford everything right now. If your budget is tight then just do the springs for now. The reason Iam telling you this is cause you will have pay for everything again when your stock shocks go bad so might as well do evething now.

Edit: Iam dropped on H-tech on stock shocks and love it. I do need a camber kit but its not too bad.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
All good points, but you missed one thing. It's not just a matter of the fact that the OE dampers will eventually wear out.

There's also the consideration that your OE damping rate will NOT be properly paired with the spring rates on H-Tech, or any other aftermarket spring, for that matter. Anytime you increase the spring rate, you should also increase the damping force. If you don't, this will result in a bouncier ride. i.e. your chassis will oscillate more times before it returns to an equilibrium position, as compared to stock (or a proper aftermarket setup, as made possible by incorporating aftermarket dampers).

·
Your Mom Drives a Honda
1,999 Posts
and for futher clarification this has been battled back and forth but I went over 20k with sportlines on my stock shocks and they are still like new....so the H-Techs being a MUCH smaller drop will not wear them out nearly as fast...you should be more than fine...if you are going for looks over performance go with stock shocks....if handling is part of it pair them with some koni yellows..you wont be disapointed with that either

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
smokin6speed said:
and for futher clarification this has been battled back and forth but I went over 20k with sportlines on my stock shocks and they are still like new....so the H-Techs being a MUCH smaller drop will not wear them out nearly as fast...you should be more than fine...if you are going for looks over performance go with stock shocks....if handling is part of it pair them with some koni yellows..you wont be disapointed with that either
+1. Thanks for the reminder that theory does not always agree with real-life experiences (no sarcasm intended).

·
Registered
242 Posts
From what I have read, the H-techs were designed for use with the stock shocks.

The rear drop with the H-techs is actually less than the drop with HFP (HFP does not include a cambler kit, only says to get an alignment after installing in the instructions), so a camber kit might not be necessary. The fronts do not usually need a camber kit unless you are extremely low.

If you do install the koni now, even though the cost is a lot more than H-techs alone, you will get the benefit of being able to slightly adjust your ride height. H-tech ride + a little lower drop sounds like a winner.

·
ex scientia vera
3,570 Posts
I always opine on all H-Tech-related threads and I feel that I'm getting repetitive. As long as at least one new set of eyes reads my opinion then I'm happy.

I've been on H-Techs with stock shocks (Automatic mind you) for a good 14,000 miles now. As you would expect, they are holding up what feels to be just fine. I couldn't be happier with the performance and looks. I do have the SPC rear camber kit too.

And I've got a picture too. It's not the best picture to showcase a drop, but it'll work I suppose. Who doesn't like pictures?!?

·
Registered
561 Posts
eibach prokit is always the safest since the drop isnt that treamendous..it does 1.3 front and 1.2 rear..im not sure how it will look if you get 18's tho

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kramer2k said:
I always opine on all H-Tech-related threads and I feel that I'm getting repetitive. As long as at least one new set of eyes reads my opinion then I'm happy.

I've been on H-Techs with stock shocks (Automatic mind you) for a good 14,000 miles now. As you would expect, they are holding up what feels to be just fine. I couldn't be happier with the performance and looks. I do have the SPC rear camber kit too.

And I've got a picture too. It's not the best picture to showcase a drop, but it'll work I suppose. Who doesn't like pictures?!?
Ok im liking this picture..i can only imagine what mine would look like..So if i buy Tein H-techs and a SPC rear camber then ill be okay to drive? Any website for these products?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Trey said:
Ok im liking this picture..i can only imagine what mine would look like..So if i buy Tein H-techs and a SPC rear camber then ill be okay to drive? Any website for these products?
I've been on the h-techs with stock shocks for about 10k 7 I'm holdin up as well
What color is ur car Trey?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
03ondubs said:
I've been on the h-techs with stock shocks for about 10k 7 I'm holdin up as well
What color is ur car Trey?
Hey man, its a Graphite Pearl color..ive only had the car about 6 weeks..i like it a lot..i've put tint..injen rd cold air..and previously just put a magnaflow catback on it..now my next concern is a Drop..like the tein h tecks and i suppose a camber..then when summer time comes..its time for some new wheels!

·
ex scientia vera
3,570 Posts
Trey said:
Try eBay for the springs. I bought mine through a V6P.net member who had a personal connection. They shouldn't cost anymore than around $170. The camber kit can be purchased at www.iapdirect.com I know a lot of people buy from there. They are great to work with. I have the SPC kit, but the majority of people go with the Ingalls kit which has adjustable toe as well as camber.

·
Your Mom Drives a Honda
1,999 Posts
o3exV6rider said:
eibach prokit is always the safest since the drop isnt that treamendous..it does 1.3 front and 1.2 rear..im not sure how it will look if you get 18's tho

prokits along with any other eibach springs tend to still leave the rear dropped more than the front...he is looking to level out the car so the rear isn't a ton lower than the front and the gap looks good...so the prokit is good on stock shocks but after time will start to give the "saggy butt" look from what I recall

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So...basically ill be good with Tein H tecks and a "rear" camber kit...the ride will be okay? and look clean...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Trey said:
So...basically ill be good with Tein H tecks and a "rear" camber kit...the ride will be okay? and look clean...
I am really getting the itch to lower my car too. How much would it cost to have this done at a performance shop?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts