Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did my SEARCH before you start flaming, and actually nobody had thought of this. I want to figure out a way to mount a manual shift knob for our autotragics. I know there is button pressing involved but what if you make a hybrid knob? Use a manual knob itself, but take the hardware from an automatic RAZO / any other brand to use in your manual knob? I really want to get a Ti-Style shift knob or mugen one for the shift boot conversion, since I think RAZO ones are not worth it...

·
Fast at Last!... kind of.
2,163 Posts
That doesn't particular answer his question. What your REAL question is: Is the threading on an MT knob the same as that on an AT shaft?

My answer for you: I don't know. I'm actually curious myself.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
automatic knob bolts in on the side. manual threads on.

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
Hites said:
automatic knob bolts in on the side. manual threads on.

werd.

So if you were to thread an AT knob on...you wouldn't be able to push down on it to shift with. All the RAZO knobs that are made without a visible button are the ones where you push the whole knob down. Unless you made a threaded ring that goes around your existing shifter shaft, and then made rails for it so that the knob wouldn't spin, and notch it so that it won't just pop off...I don't think there's any other way to make an MT knob work like a RAZO knob. And that all is about 300x more work than swapping the shift assembly.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I know that gated shifter is thread on since there is no button, and manual ones are just screw on top with a locking ring for hondas. You wouldn't need to notch a manual knob they come with a lock ring that prevents it from spinning.

Look at this picture from Sketch's DIY:

"now i had to attach all the nessesary(sp?) parts for my knob to work and this is what it should look like then"

So what if incorporate all the necessary parts from the RAZO knob, and make them work into the manual knob, because it would work just like the button. I'm sure the shift assembly has to be trimmed down usually all manual knobs are not long enough.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What are you mounting the manual knob on for? looks? Id assume that thatd be annoying to downshift or whatever in our autos... Dam I wish I had a 6 speed

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks since manual knobs would look so much better, and why would you downshift? My car stays in drive until I park or go in reverse. I think that would be unique since all the razo ones are played out. I want titanium styled one or Mugen.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I get bored and do the shifting for my car sometimes... also dream of having a manual tranny. Im looking to buy a project Z car after the summer though. Have fun with that diy guys, looks cool!

·
Registered
259 Posts
if it's the i4 "tiptronic" auto, you can just put on a new shift knob, just make sure that it's the correct threading.

the v6 is a completely different story, as you ahve to push a button, which presses down an inner plastic piece, to shift gears. i was thinking about the same mod as you, and thought of fabricating a spring/holder/bolt setup, so that you push down on the bolt to push the plastic piece and shift gears. this in essense is the same as the razo setup you speak of. the bolt will then thread on whatever aftermarket shift knob you want.

for me, i was thinking about this mod then i saw the new MDX 07 shift knob w/ a short trigger knob (like the 06/07 accord knobs but much shofter) and picked one up on e-bay. i'll install that over the summer w/ a shorter shaft and take some pics. =)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts