Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a few threads on this site and it seems like it is quite common of people miss-shifting and causes major engine/transmission problems. Is this a big issue for an AV6? Or just any MT car in general?

If I sound like a n00b is prolly because this CM8 is my first MT car ( :cool: ) and luckily I don't think I ran into any problems yet, I would like to avoid any possibility of messing up my engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,629 Posts
Yup, u said it. Tranny problems are common in the accords, whether manual or auto. But most of the cases Ive heard of reside in the auto trannys. If u still have warranty on ur car, i suggest for u to use it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
I'm one of the lucky few that's misshifted, and what I remember people saying back then was that the shift "gates" in the accord are alot closer than in other cars. So the difference between 2nd and 4th is a few millimeters closer. I can't say cause I never payed any attention to shifting until now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would be the symptom of a engine/transmission failure? I remember when I first got my car I misshifted from 3rd to 2nd once (was intended to shift to 4th) and I heard this slight grinding noise, ever since that I've never miss-shift again and my car seems fine.

My warrenty runs out next month I think I should get it checked out :-/
 

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
Joined
·
5,056 Posts
You can mis-shift and blow the engine in any manual tranny car. 6MT trannys tend to have closer gates though, and that only makes the possibility of misshifting easier, so it's very important to learn proper shift techniques. This car in particular seems to be pretty prone to high speed 3-4 upshifts accidentally turning into 3-2 downshifts. And unfortunately the SOHC rocker arm setup on the J30A4 engine is not as tolerant of overspin as a DOHC with a direct acting or cam follower valvetrain setup. You need to be careful.

Check the main FAQ thread, and look for the one on how NOT to shift your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,629 Posts
tptpgogogo said:
What would be the symptom of a engine/transmission failure? I remember when I first got my car I misshifted from 3rd to 2nd once (was intended to shift to 4th) and I heard this slight grinding noise, ever since that I've never miss-shift again and my car seems fine.

My warrenty runs out next month I think I should get it checked out :-/
Get it checked out by a private technician before taking it to the dealership. If you do indeed have a bad tranny then take it to the dealership and get it replaced. If not, and youre tranny is just in the process of wearing out, then do something to make the tranny go KABOOM within the month :D That way u can still get a free replacement.
 

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
Joined
·
5,056 Posts
tptpgogogo said:
What would be the symptom of a engine/transmission failure? I remember when I first got my car I misshifted from 3rd to 2nd once (was intended to shift to 4th) and I heard this slight grinding noise, ever since that I've never miss-shift again and my car seems fine.

My warrenty runs out next month I think I should get it checked out :-/
see? 3-4's turning into 3-2's which is NOT GOOD. ;)

In your case you lucked out because you just grinded instead of it actually catching the gear. A little grind here and there is expected and normal for an MT so they're designed to take a little abuse like that. Not something you want to do all the time though. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SteVTEC said:
You can mis-shift and blow the engine in any manual tranny car. 6MT trannys tend to have closer gates though, and that only makes the possibility of misshifting easier, so it's very important to learn proper shift techniques. This car in particular seems to be pretty prone to high speed 3-4 upshifts accidentally turning into 3-2 downshifts. And unfortunately the SOHC rocker arm setup on the J30A4 engine is not as tolerant of overspin as a DOHC with a direct acting or cam follower valvetrain setup. You need to be careful.

Check the main FAQ thread, and look for the one on how NOT to shift your car.
Actually I did check that thread (seeing how I've seen a few guys got roasted for not "searching"), and I was laughing very hard at someone describing how to grip the shiftknob :rofl:

Thanks for the info though :up:
 

·
registered n00b
Joined
·
2,769 Posts
hammer03 said:
it also has to do with poor technique a lot of the time.
backhanding the shifter and some experience will go a long way.

how to avoid missing a shift: http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm
Sorry, but i think that is a very poor tutorial.

this is NOT how you should go from 1 to 2:


this is NOT how you should go from 3 to 4:


"Going into 5th from 4th is similar to going into 3rd from 2nd, Still backhanding it, pushing away from you." So untrue. 2 to 3 is one fluid movement. 4 to 5 is three distinct movements.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
tp, are you on PJ and driving at the same time again?

I've grinded my gears a few times, usually happens when i'm tired and not really paying attention. I think that happens to everyone once in a while, and it doesn't really have any lasting effects unless you do it really bad, and all the time.
 

·
Pedal damn it
Joined
·
3,913 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
808v6er said:
tp, are you on PJ and driving at the same time again?
:rofl: I think if I can, I would be!!

sumtinwong, how do you shift then if that not how you shift from 1st to 2nd???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
I misshifted my car also its not that hard if you arent paying attention or if your going through the gears quickly!
 

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
Joined
·
5,056 Posts
Yeah that 3-4 shift is the most screwed up thing I have ever seen. If you're trying to avoid an accidental 3-2 downshift at all costs I suppose that would work, but you're just as likely to get caught between 4-6 (or 4-R on a 5spd) as you are to actually hit 4th. Check out the weight biasing of the arm. The natural thrust angle based on the position of the hand when the shifter is neutral will lead it to the RIGHT towards the 4-6 gate corner.

The proper technique for a performance and mis-shift free 3-4 shift is to have your palm on the forward edge of the shifter with your fingers pointing straight down. With your arm in this position there is no L or R thrust bias and the result is a perfect high speed 3-4 shift.
 

·
constantly in pursuit
Joined
·
4,250 Posts
ok, but better safe than sorry, right? missing a shift and going 3->6 is a lot better than having the natural bias of using your shoulder as a pivot point and pulling towards you, and catching 2. i'd rather upshift than downshift... no roasting of the motor that way.
 

·
registered n00b
Joined
·
2,769 Posts
stevtec is exactly right. if you shift from 3-4 like in the picture, you're actually more likely to get snagged between 4 and R (for 5sp), or 4 and 6 (for 6sp), and end up hitting the rev limiter if you're trying to shift quickly.

IMO, the best way to shift from 3-4 is with the end of your index+middle+ring fingers. that way, a mere flick of the wrist gets you into the 4th gear gate. also, there is very little risk of hitting any other gate, for you simply cannot exert enough force with the ends of your fingers.
 

·
indoctidiscant
Joined
·
3,790 Posts
sumptimwong said:
stevtec is exactly right. if you shift from 3-4 like in the picture, you're actually more likely to get snagged between 4 and R (for 5sp), or 4 and 6 (for 6sp), and end up hitting the rev limiter if you're trying to shift quickly.

IMO, the best way to shift from 3-4 is with the end of your index+middle+ring fingers. that way, a mere flick of the wrist gets you into the 4th gear gate. also, there is very little risk of hitting any other gate, for you simply cannot exert enough force with the ends of your fingers.

wow.. ok i have never ever had that issue, and i take pride in being a really really quick shifter who loves close gates.

just to give more info;

i love honda shifters, bmw shifters, despise high end exotic shifts (the one with the panels cut out for you, despise toyota (cept the celica gts), and nissans, and all things american..

in complete clutch in i can go from 1st through 6th withouth any issues in under 2.5 seconds (guesstifreakingmatriculated)..


im all about backhand flipping and flapping..i do use the tophand flipping and flappng as well when im lazy.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top