Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a 7300 mile oil interval on Mobil1 5w30 synthetic oil- I then took a sample while changing my oil last week and sent that sample into Blackstone Labs to do a used oil analysis on it.

Here are the results:

I did a filter swap about 4000 miles in- I used a Bosch filter first and then a SuperTech filter.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the results and will follow their advice of going down to 7000 miles. I meant to change my oil at 7000 miles but I was on a long distance trip and had to do it when I got home. I may do one more oil analysis after this, to make sure the copper is coming down.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
thanks for contributing your uao! was thinking of doing a uao on my L4, but have yet to find a lab around my area.

btw, is that a 7300 oci, or 7300 miles on your car? if its the latter, then when did you put in the M1?

supertech filters are awesome, and at a killer price, too!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you look closely you'll see that I have 25,170 "miles on unit" meaning that I put it in at around 18,000 miles and the oil has 7,295 miles on it. I've been using M1 5w30 since about 8000 miles.

·
the josef
121 Posts
sweeet! thanks for the post captal.. i use the same stuff and was worrying about whether i should go past 5,000 miles.. Thanks again for the knowledge :D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Accord_V6_400m said:
It's too bad the cardomain logo blocks some of the test info.
The bottom four boxes read <.5 0.0 0.0 0.4

:D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
josef2982 said:
sweeet! thanks for the post captal.. i use the same stuff and was worrying about whether i should go past 5,000 miles.. Thanks again for the knowledge :D
Past 5k is a piece of cake for M1.

By the way I'm not easy on my car- that oil has an autocross on it as well as some hard driving- I like to get on the gas and shift at redline relatively frequently. I do mostly city driving but have a few long trips on there as well. I'd say you're pretty safe around 7k miles, with a filter change half way. As the analysis says- my TBN is at 3.1 which means the additives are still working and the oil still has some life in it.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
OT: to avoid image-hosting logos, try out imageshack.us. its fast, easy, efficient, clean, and ad-free!

and yea, 5k is pie for M1!

·
the tooth
307 Posts
i got a question. i got 18k on my odo now and will be switching to m1 at 19k. If i run the oil for 5.5k miles, should i do a filter change hlaf way thru 5.5k miles? thanks in advance guys and for the great info.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
hey timmy, you should open a new thread for your question. itll get much more attention that way, and will attract many more opinions (and facts, too, hopefully).

i personally would not change the filter halfway through a 5.5koci

·
Registered
492 Posts
How much did they charge you for that analysis?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$20, but I paid an extra $10 to get the TBN. You also have to pay $1.52 postage, but they send the container

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'll have to give it a try.

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
Accord_V6_400m said:
Thanks for the info, its always great to get more info on this stuff.
:and1:

Captal said:
$20, but I paid an extra $10 to get the TBN. You also have to pay $1.52 postage, but they send the container
That's it! Hmm, I should do this the next time I change the oil in my car.

·
Work hard, play later.
657 Posts
I stick with my 3k change Mobile 1 Full syn 5w-30 in the teg.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I noted "Make-up Oil Added: 0.75 qts"
Is this the oil you had to add after replacing the filter half way?

The additional oil would really boost TBN and improve the overall test results.

I'm running M1 5W-30 at 7,500 mile intervals using M1-110 oil filter with no mid cycle filter change.
Hope the M1-110 would have enough particle retention capacity until 7,500.

Care to experiment my setup next time and run a test? ;)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes it is what I added when changing the filter.

The m1 filters are too expensive for me- I'd rather use two lower grade filters that are half the price. From what other oil experts are saying, changing the filter half way through gives you about a 25% boost to the mileage you can go.

Honestly I think you'll be fine going 7500 on the M1-110 though

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
how in the world do you get the filter off without spilling oil everywhere? ive never dared try this without first drainng ALL the oil out. i might consider a 1/2 way filter change if you could help me out. thatd be really great since my oil costs about $20 and my filter costs $2 ;D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts