Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
St. Louis!
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a mugen style grill for the Inspire that obviously didnt fit at first. I've done some handywork and modified it to fit. It isnt painted yet, just seein what everyone thought. The fitment is perfect, the reason it looks gapped on the bottom, is that it's not attached yet. If I push it down with my hand it looks clean all around. The middle gap looks worst like this. It goes down quite a bit when connected. All in all I was pretty happy with it.

·
St. Louis!
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It was not easy, it's been a weekend project for like 4 months. I'll post up a DIY sometime later half the battle is finding that same grill, they're in short supply, that one is actually a custom prototype where I pretty much had to re tool the entire thing. I'm gonna get it painted it once i figure out how to keep it on there the best way, just want to be careful, that thing wasnt cheap to begin with.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Kingof3rdinput said:
It was not easy, it's been a weekend project for like 4 months. I'll post up a DIY sometime later half the battle is finding that same grill, they're in short demand, that one is actually a custom prototype that I pretty much had to re tool the entire thing. I'm gonna paint it once i figure out how to keep it on there the best way, just want to be careful, that thing wasnt cheap to begin with.

you can get it off Ebay once and a while for like 60 bucks. Not sure if that is what you call expensive. The company that sells them is Sylvia (I think...)

·
Stalls @ every light
586 Posts
Good job. Best after market grill I've seen yet.

Still not happy with mine. I am constantly thinking about grill ideas. I think one of these weekends I'm going to go totally custom and fabricate something. That is if the aftermarket industry doesn't finally get off it's collective butt and mass-produce something cool!

·
Official V6P Retro Whore
3,899 Posts
I like it, but I'd like to see the gap filled up a tad more. Maybe you can add some fiberglass to it to make it more flush?

·
St. Louis!
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True, the gap could be better I'm tryin to think/figure something out to help the situation. You'll see on the final version though, it's not AS bad as the above pics.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
i guess im the only one that doesnt like it that much! i mean no offense, but i think our oe grill looks clean. that mugen style grill looks good, but to me it just doesnt flow with the car. maybe after its painted itll look more oe, but its hard to tell right now. gj with the install tho!

·
St. Louis!
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's a PS, I'm no PS guru, and since the grill is still a matte finish its hard for me to make it perfect, but the idea comes across.

·
Registered
358 Posts
my .02

i like it much better than the stock plastic grill wanna be thing..i hate the stock one...i can settle for the coupe stock grill more just becuase it doesn't have that gap in the middle of it..

i think kingof3rdinput's ps is not that bad..looks good when its painted..but the real suggestion i have is... maybe the chicken wire can be painted black?

a suggestion on the gap...when you're making something to fill it... try using something to fill the gap rather than modding the grill to dip lower to fill it..do you know what i mean? so this way you wont really be able to tell that there was a cut out there...if you mod the grill to dip lower it might look a lil funky

good job keep up the good work!!

·
St. Louis!
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Black I've considered, my lower grill is silver though. So I'll see once its done. And the problem I'm running into filling the gap is that the grill actually dips in there, just on the back half, so nothing that I fill it with will really look clean. I'm afraid the gap is just gonna be there.

edit: Made some good progress today. Found some vinyl rivets to hold this thing in place. And a nice bolt-clip combo that I couldnt seem to find. Should be in and painted soon. As far as the silver mesh goes, Im looking for some nice black mesh to take its place. Can't find what I have in mind. I'd really like some Jag type-S mesh in there, I think thats a custom thing to Jag though.

·
oSCaR
4,919 Posts
dang that looks good! :up:

on making the gap look smaller... doesnt a dark color, like black... make things looks smaller?
kinda like when big boned ppl wear dark colors and they look smaller than when wearing bright colors... :gotme:

either way i think it already looks better than OEM

·
St. Louis!
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
konatriathlon said:
That looks badass dude!! Keep us posted.

You had to do some cutting to your bumper too didnt you?
No, that was one thing I wouldnt let myself do, you can't really hide it anywhere if you cut into it. I did have to cut that big grey thing on top of the grill quite a bit though. I did figure out how to mount it perfectly though :) Just a matter of doing it, and getting it painted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts