Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working all week to get my exhaust situation improved, but without much luck.

I started out with single exhaust 2.25" with no resonator or pre-muffler to a Flowmaster 40 series. It sounded great except for the fact it was too loud inside the car and resonated badly inside around 1700-2500 rpm, which I do a lot of driving in that range. Tried to correct the resonation and loudness by putting in a 20" glasspack which did almost nothing except decrease the vibration that I was also getting. I went and got a Flowmaster 50 series and put it in place of the 40 and it really cut down on the loudness inside and the resonation, but it was still too loud inside for me.

I ended up having the put the stock mufflers back on with no resonators/glasspack/pre-muffler, but with 2.25" piping back to the Y into the mufflers. Seems to be much better than stock and even sounds good, but I want a little more volume, just not as much as the Flowmasters. Any suggestions?

Btw I have two Flowmaster mufflers for sale now...

·
call me simon
3,208 Posts
haha i had the same sort of problem with my first set of tanabes. i'm guessing the flowmasters had too much exhaust drone on the freeway. best bet would be the purchase a set of Magnaflow (14825 i think) and slap those on. a lot of members have them with great results. For me I just sold my Tanabes and got myself a set of Apexi WS. I went through the same situation where i tried and tried to get my tanabes to work. Went to 4-6 mufflers shops to see if it would work but it wouldn't

·
hmmm what next?
2,785 Posts
just did the same thing to much drone but better then th ebay special i had on before that. i think i need a different resonator or smaller exhaust tips.

·
Very Inspired
1,069 Posts
changing them to magnaflows wont really quiet them down, its just going to change the sound of his exhaust and not the volume of "quietness" that hes looking for.

·
SC J32A3 Accord
645 Posts
I've been working all week to get my exhaust situation improved, but without much luck.

I started out with single exhaust 2.25" with no resonator or pre-muffler to a Flowmaster 40 series. It sounded great except for the fact it was too loud inside the car and resonated badly inside around 1700-2500 rpm, which I do a lot of driving in that range. Tried to correct the resonation and loudness by putting in a 20" glasspack which did almost nothing except decrease the vibration that I was also getting. I went and got a Flowmaster 50 series and put it in place of the 40 and it really cut down on the loudness inside and the resonation, but it was still too loud inside for me.

I ended up having the put the stock mufflers back on with no resonators/glasspack/pre-muffler, but with 2.25" piping back to the Y into the mufflers. Seems to be much better than stock and even sounds good, but I want a little more volume, just not as much as the Flowmasters. Any suggestions?

Btw I have two Flowmaster mufflers for sale now...
Went through the same exact experience when I was "building" my exhaust but with Dynomax mufflers. I ended up getting an acceptable balance of volume, drone and cab vibrations by re-adding the stock oval resonator. If you still have it, I would recommend trying the Flowmasters with the stock oval resonator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts