Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, yeah I know I'm new here, but there's good info on this site and some of the people seem to know what they're talking about.

The problem: my car.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with the damn thing. When I first bought the car in March, it ran fine, had plenty of power and the first time I took it to the track with 93 unleaded it ran a best of [email protected] I remember being a bit pissed off considering that I've seen these cars go mid-low 14's with everyone else driving, but damn. Old times:

19/MARCH/2011 Temp:57-F Elevation: 593ft
60' - 2.390 (still had a bogging problem)
330 - 6.413
1/8 - 9.642
MPH - 76.90
1000 - 12.382
1/4 - 14.710
MPH - 96.84

Density Altitude using dragtimes.com = 85ft or 99.75% relative density

Now. . . its just flat out terrible. A few weeks ago the car just got rather sluggish as the weather heated up. I had a short ram intake on there, and I figured it was sucking up a bunch of hot air, so I took it off and put the stock box back on with a K&N drop in filter. Since then, the driveability has improved as well as low end and mid range throttle response and power. The engine feels GOOD! That's the thing, but I take it to the track and it will bog. . . it's slow to rev, and it refuses to run better than a [email protected] That was a few weeks ago with the SRI. I took it off, the engine felt like it ran a ton better, took it back to the track, ran a best of [email protected]

So, I figured that perhaps it wanted a tune up or something. Just put brand new plugs in this morning as the old ones were still original (the car has 96,000 miles). Car felt good, street driveabilty was spot on. Confident, I took it to the same track that it ran the old [email protected] in. The result, TERRIBLE.

9/JULY/2011 Temp: 88-F Elevation: 593ft
60' - 2.543 (it bogs TERRIBLY upon flooring it)
330 - 6.769
1/8 - 10.149
MPH - 72.55
1000 - 13.014
1/4 - 15.434
MPH - 93.17

Density Altitude using dragtimes.com = 2792ft or 92.16% relative density

WTF...... I know its hot outside, but this doesn't seem to affecting anyone else's cars. It runs smoothly, all of the old plugs I pulled out looked normal for their age, all of the sensors seem to be working fine. There are no CEL or SES lights, no codes, no anything. . . .just mid-low 14 second car running mid 15's with 5-6mph worth of top end totally missing.

Does ANYONE have and ideas as to what the hell is wrong with this car? Yeah the density altitude calculation puts the warms days back in line with what the car originally ran, but why is this thing so damn sensitive to hot weather? Literally everyone else's cars seemed to be running what they typically run. Everyone except for MINE.

If anyone else has some similar experiences, be enlighten me. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to explain WTF is happening here.

·
frumaroll
2,048 Posts
dam. so its the same weather and you ran that much slower? how many miles u put on since u bought it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it was much hotter now than it was then. Roughly a ~35 degree difference between the two runs. That's why I attempted to use the DA calculator to try and even the score, and it does to a certain extent.

The only problem is, given the 60' times and what other's are running, the car is still significantly slower despite launching similar to others. This is the most frustrating thing! I like this car 99% of the time, but now I hate the stupid thing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
o2 sensors slow? Not slow enough to set off a CEL but slow enough to affect hard off the line performance.

Just guessing...:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
put a different driver in it and see if there's a difference.
The night of the 7th, we had a total of 3 different drivers in there. Including a guy who's identical car went a 14.3

Everyone concluded that there was no getting any better with it LOL. I drove home in shame and even turned down a race against a GSR Integra in fear that I wouldn't be able to win. That should NOT happen in these cars.

·
frumaroll
2,048 Posts
35 degree difference is pretty big in my opinion. try goin again when its cooler outside

·
Registered
44 Posts
35 degree difference is pretty big in my opinion. try goin again when its cooler outside
Ditto, look at the difference in DA. That is huge. Your sixty foot times are bad, what did the other guy's 60' foot times look like? Are you foot breaking at all on the launch?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ditto, look at the difference in DA. That is huge. Your sixty foot times are bad, what did the other guy's 60' foot times look like? Are you foot breaking at all on the launch?
Its a six speed lol. I typically try a 3,000rpm launch and floor it after it hops around a bit. Drove the car around today (90*F outside) and had zero problems putting distance on a supercharged Cobalt SS, which is yet another car that outperformed mine on the hot racetrack.

It feels "normal" and "peppy" on the street though there still is a good bog off the line, but this is a 3 liter V6. I had a modded 6-speed 3.5SE Maxima directly before I had this car, so my expectation of torque output is a bit tainted though the J30A4 has a beautiful top end (when acting right) that the VQ35DE does not have. Hopefully once finances start opening up, I'd like to J35 swap this car.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Its a six speed lol. I typically try a 3,000rpm launch and floor it after it hops around a bit.
Hops around a bit? Wheel hop is not good it means your losing traction and as such hurting your times, not to mention your poor axles and motor mounts, I would address the wheel hop issue first if I was you,1 also if the J series are anything like the K they are VERY temperature sensitive anything you can do to get those intake temps down or hold off heat soak will help.

·
Registered
294 Posts
So you're switching the stock intake on for street use and SRI for track use???

·
Registered
16 Posts
its the temps and your 60ft man.
believe me, i live in florida and its hot as hell and humid too, and right now, i cant get better than a 14.2 with a 2.1-2.2 60ft, and everyone else with my mods are running 13.9's in other states, so i am getting sticky tires and an ingalls stiffy mount to help plant the power to the ground, and i picked up a aem v2 cai to help with heat soak i had from a short ram....gl man

try checking vacuum lines and sensor connections as well just in case. the bogging issue should not be that bad just because of heat...

·
Registered
257 Posts
its the temps and your 60ft man.
believe me, i live in florida and its hot as hell and humid too, and right now, i cant get better than a 14.2 with a 2.1-2.2 60ft, and everyone else with my mods are running 13.9's in other states, so i am getting sticky tires and an ingalls stiffy mount to help plant the power to the ground, and i picked up a aem v2 cai to help with heat soak i had from a short ram....gl man

try checking vacuum lines and sensor connections as well just in case. the bogging issue should not be that bad just because of heat...
^ good advice also if you are switching intakes constantly for street and track use are you resetting the ecu? If not that maybe the problem with your bogging too

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I feel your pain man. While not fully, I know what it's like to come home from the track disappointed all too well. I went to the track with CAI/Jpipe and ran the same ET that I did with full bolt ons. Only my trap was worse with more mods!! My 60
' was slower as well. So a slower 60' but the same ET, with a worse trap? That doesn't even make sense, but it happened. The last few times I've gone, the car has felt dirt slow. The heat REALLY affects these cars from my experience. Sometimes the car just doesn't feel fast, then the next day it will feel soo much better.

Honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't get too discouraged just yet. The difference in DA from your runs is enough to make a large difference. Go back to the track when it's cooler out and I bet you will run identical times as you did before. Just practice your launching and maybe you can even run better.

·
Registered
490 Posts
^ I'm almost tempted to look into some kind of cooling mods for this car.

More efficient rad, coolant bypass, possibly allow more airflow to make to the engine?

I am spoiled for living on the coast, but I hate driving my car inland .. definitely feels sluggish when it's in the 80s / 90s :(.

·
cunning linguist
984 Posts
How are your motor mounts?
If they've gotten worse since your earlier and more recent runs, the power isn't being planted & it can for sure cause those ET & Trap speed changes.

I'd take a look - these things EAT the OEM ones!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts