Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
CeRtiFiEd PimP
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was in the body shop replaced the dash, now my steering wheel is not center when driving straight. How do i adjust it, and i rather try to fix it myself than take it back

·
Registered
77 Posts
My car was in the body shop replaced the dash, now my steering wheel is not center when driving straight. How do i adjust it, and i rather try to fix it myself than take it back
You should take it back to the mechanic to see if any broken or bent underneath. There is no align ability to make you car straight because you can't change the caster in front wheel drive cars. Adjusting the casters is the way to make the car go straight. Front wheel drive cars don't have caster adjustment.

There are many reasons why your car doesn't go straight. Have your mechanic check to see if anything is bent underneath your car.

1) Bent struts or tie rod
2) Uneven tire pressure or wear
3) Worn joint ball bearing. Check you see if any liquid oozing out. A wet oily spot is a sign of CV boots leaking or joint ball bearing failure.
4) Bad shocks or springs.

·
Registered
836 Posts
you can most certainly straighten out a crooked steering wheel. take it back and have them do an alignment, or have them pay for an alignment at another shop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ugh. I have the same problem. I went to the shop, they told me it was because the wheel was off-center but that my tires and alignment were fine. So they "fixed it". I still have the same problem albeit not it's not as bad. :bonk:

·
Registered
25 Posts
They can center your wheel by either fiddling with steering rack but normally just adjust both toe angles proportionately on front wheels. Firestone always forgets to center my wheel when i do an alingment. I always have to come back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 05 Accord steering wheel is crooked, too. YouTube vids show adjusting at the tie rods, and adjusting the steering wheel shaft under the dash, but they don't say why do one or the other. A shop told me my tie-rod bushings were shot, 800 bucks to replace, which includes an alignment. The car steers and tracks well, don't think it the bushings. Anyone addressed this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Crooked steering wheel update

I decided to just take the car to an alignment shop, don't mention what the other shop had told me, and see what they said. They did an alignment quickly and easily, with no dire warnings of trashed bushings, which is what the previous shop had said. I asked this second place to have a look around and note anything that needed attention. There was nothing, they said. Everything all good. Was that first shop trying to scam or upsell me on an $800.00 bushing job? Maybe they just didn't want me asking for advice from them anymore. I had previously asked them to find a transmission fluid leak, which they did (the trans was WAY overfilled after some work done on it) and they drained some off and topped it up to the correct level. Anyhow, I've addressed all the concerns I had, including a few little body things, and am now set to enjoy this nice ride for a while.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah I don’t mean to be a d!ck, but some shops may try and gouge ya like that. Good on you to go get a second opinion. My cousin who knew nothing about cars was ready to pay $600 for a front pads and rotors at a local garage on her 2002 sunfire before I intervened. Needless to say I gave them a piece of my mind, and now I do all her minor repairs. Yay. But I digress.

My wheel has been off center forever now, I did some power steering work once and didn’t line up the wheel after, now the steering gear is like 1 tooth to the right too far. Used to drive be nuts, but I’ve gotten used to it. It never bothered me enough to fix it out of sheer laziness/blindness towards minor defects.

If it was a shop that did it, they should have to fix it really though. That’s different. Hell, even if it was someone else’s car I’d done this on I’d fix it, even if it didn’t bother them.

As of lately it seems as if there’s some play/dead spot when my wheel is “supposed to be straight”. Gonna have to take a look underneath one of these days, maybe even set the ol’ wheel back to true north.

It can never hurt to change suspension components, as they’re not usually terribly expensive (labour can be I guess, but they’re pretty easy to DIY) but $800 for tie rods and ball joints and stuff of that nature seems fishy to me. Lol. Glad this was resolved though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If this thread is still alive, I'll toss this in; some years ago, I had my then car, a 1994 Acura Legend Coupe, aligned at a shop where my son works. He didn't do the work, though, and when I left, I noticed the steering wheel was waaay crooked. I went back and showed my son the problem. He said go have a cup of coffee and come back. Twenty minutes later, the wheel was centered and I was a happy camper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts