Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm painting over the woodgrain (which I hate). Painting it black with Duplicolor Auto Spray (DSGM001W BLACK). I have already done one panel (driver side window control panel). I used Duplicolor Auto Spray (Clear Top Coat) but it didn't come out as I was hoping. I wanted it to be really shiny and glossy. I've tried wet sanding it and from what I can remember (I did it a while ago, so I don't remember the exact results) it took all the clear coat off and started sanding off the paint, so I had to sand it really lightly and that didn't even really help much.

So basically I'm asking for some advice on how to get a really glossy coat on top of the paint. Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated. (As a sidenote, I'm a broke college student, so cheap methods would be best).

EDIT:
Another sidenote...when I did that driver side trim, after I put back the door panels and set everything up, it rattles with bass now. This is something I haven't looked into and I'm sure I'll be able to fix if I do look into it, however if anyone has any ideas, i'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AxisAccord said:
did you put more than one coat of clear on it?
Yeah, but when I would wet sand it, no matter how many coats i put on, it would seem to all come off.

Any more ideas?

·
Registered
448 Posts
use a plastic promotor on the plastic first, like bulldog. Also use krylon fusion, its meant for plastic and won't chip off after 7 days.

·
Registered
353 Posts
ryon527 said:
use a plastic promotor on the plastic first, like bulldog. Also use krylon fusion, its meant for plastic and won't chip off after 7 days.

i was planning to do the samething but with a chrome gloss finish. would the above still apply.
also, what are those products.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ryon527 said:
wouldn't do the chrome or wouldn't paint the interior at all?

i did that one piece black many months ago, and i still really like it (although i'd prefer it to be glossier of course).

·
same avatar since 03'
3,823 Posts
Yea i did all my interior Gloss Black, but I got really sick of seing all of the dust on it, it never looked clean. So I redid all of it Gunmetal.

·
Registered
353 Posts
hey do you guys think chrom would be possible..like the color on the shift buttom of a auto tranny 01 accord..i think it look pretty hot with a black leather int. wat do you guys think?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DPs Finest said:
hey do you guys think chrom would be possible..like the color on the shift buttom of a auto tranny 01 accord..i think it look pretty hot with a black leather int. wat do you guys think?
i dont know about a chrome color, but more like a brushed aluminum wouldn't be too bad. i took a long time to debate between black and brushed aluminum, but i went with black because it would be hard to get the brushed look (i like how it looks in the 7th gen accords)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Solution

Hey, i read your problem and I live in socal, but my cousin over in Georgia works in a body shop, what he does when he paints cars, after painting the base coat, he paints a a pretty good coat of clear. Then after that, he wet sands i, just a little so its smooth with really really Fine Sand paper. Which leaves the color still dull, so then they use a buffer and use a normal buffing pad with some form of rubbing compound, then they switch to a really fine buffing Pad with scratch removal stuff they sell at kragen(well they use more expensive stuff, but he said that kragen stuff does the same). after that doing that, the luster of the paint is Hella nice, and the paint is as smooth as a baby's a**. Try that out if you can borrow a friends buffer. i painted a truck while i was over there and after doing that we had show quality results. I hope this was helpful

1 - 15 of 15 Posts