Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i've been tryin to understand which specs i should look for in an amp but am still a little confused.

i have a 12" Orion HCCA sub [Dual Voice Coil]
(with the orion ported box)
Its a DVC 600W 2 ohm sub,

i'm confused on what type of amp i should be looking for? (mono, 2 channel, and when wiring up the sub if i need a 2 ohm or 1 ohm amp?)

·
7th Gen ACcord
3,671 Posts
since its a dvc 2ohm sub, you would wire it at 4ohm or 1ohm. i would get a mono amp with the specs of 600rms at 4ohm or 1ohm. if you're not planning to upgrade, then i would get an amp that produces 600rms at 1ohm. you can also get amps like JL audio or alpine pdx that produces the same amount of power at different ohm. i recommend the diamond audio D3 600.1 that amp is rated at 600rms @ 1ohm. they make great solid amp. those amps can be found on ebay fairly cheap.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay thank you very much, that clears things up and i know what too look for now!

so there's a specific way to wire up the dvc's to the terminal post on the box, if i go 4 ohm or 1 ohm?

·
7th Gen ACcord
3,671 Posts
yeah there is. go on the website of the manufacture of the sub and you can probably find a manual with a diagram. its easier to look at the diagram than for me to explain it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol i didn't even think orion website would have the diagrams for this sub (its one of their older (2001/2002) subs
but i found exactly what i was lookin for!

would you recommend i wire the sub at 1 ohm or 4 ohm's?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In case people are lookin for the same information for wiring 2ohm DVC subwoofer here are the wiring diagrams from orion :

Series

Parallel

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey guys i went to visit an audio shop to look for new amps (for my 12" DVC 2 ohm sub),
and the guy was telling me that you can somehow bridge back down to the amp and create a 2 ohm load?:confused:

anybody know he was talking about?

·
Work hard...play harder!
772 Posts
hey guys i went to visit an audio shop to look for new amps (for my 12" DVC 2 ohm sub),
and the guy was telling me that you can somehow bridge back down to the amp and create a 2 ohm load?:confused:

anybody know he was talking about?
I think what they are talking about is wiring the sub to a 4ohm mono amp. Basically you connect one of the (+ -) together on the sub and then the remaining + from the sub to the + on the amp and the same for the -.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think what they are talking about is wiring the sub to a 4ohm mono amp. Basically you connect one of the (+ -) together on the sub and then the remaining + from the sub to the + on the amp and the same for the -.

hmmmm, yeah that would wire up the sub in series and give me a 4 ohm load right?

the guy was talkin about theres a way to wire the sub up and bridge down to create a 2ohm load (to a 2 ohm amp), thats whats confusing me

·
Work hard...play harder!
772 Posts
hmmmm, yeah that would wire up the sub in series and give me a 4 ohm load right?
Right.

the guy was talkin about theres a way to wire the sub up and bridge down to create a 2ohm load (to a 2 ohm amp), thats whats confusing me
:gotme: Unless you plan on getting a 2 channel amp and wire each coil to each channel seperately. Honestly tho your best bet is to wire them to a mono amp at a 4 ohm load.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol yeah i have no clue, but i'll just end up getting a mono amp at 4ohm load! simplest thing to do!

there's two amps i saw,
the MTX Thunder TA 7801
and the Orion HCCA 2400

any opinions of mtx vs orion amps? (both are the newer model)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts