Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 7th gen coupe auto V6. A couple of months ago I had the muffler shop cut off my stock resonator and pre-muffler. It gave the stock exhaust a bit better sound. Then I purchased (2) Magnaflow 14829s, the quieter muffler, and had them installed the other day. They were little too loud for my taste and I lost some much needed back pressure. I went back to the muffler shop and had them put back on the stock resonator and the pre-muffler. I have the back pressure that I want, but now I can't hear the exhaust at all. My question is... what can I do? Which one, the resonator or the pre-muffler, can I get rid of in order to up the exhaust tone, but still keep some back pressure?

Just to add, I have all oem piping back to the Y pipe. From there the magnaflows are connected with 2.5" piping.

I added a pic to help with the visual...

Hopefully all of this made sense...

Thanks is advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Correct me if i am wrong but i believe that the resonator only has to do with sound. It makes it more quiet. So i would remove the resonator and it will be a bit louder. Someone tell me if i am wrong about this.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct me if i am wrong but i believe that the resonator only has to do with sound. It makes it more quiet. So i would remove the resonator and it will be a bit louder. Someone tell me if i am wrong about this.
Thats what I was thinking... I was just wanting other people's opinion...

listen to my exhaust in the exhaust comparision video :D
Not bad... but that doesn't really answer my question...

·
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee
2,701 Posts
I agree that removing the resonator will probably give you the sound level you're looking for while keeping enough back pressure.

I actually have the complete oposite kind of set up as you. I have all custom piping from the J-pipe back with no resonator or pre-muffler, but I have Acura CL-S mufflers, which only have a 2" opening, so mine goes from large to small OEM mufflers, while your's goes from small OEM piping to large aftermarket mufflers out back.

I don't know if you have Richie's J-Pipe or not, but that's another option verses going back and hacking up the exhaust again. Or just the Richie's Test-Pipe might give you a deeper louder sound without having to touch the exhaust again. Just an option.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that removing the resonator will probably give you the sound level you're looking for while keeping enough back pressure.

I actually have the complete oposite kind of set up as you. I have all custom piping from the J-pipe back with no resonator or pre-muffler, but I have Acura CL-S mufflers, which only have a 2" opening, so mine goes from large to small OEM mufflers, while your's goes from small OEM piping to large aftermarket mufflers out back.

I don't know if you have Richie's J-Pipe or not, but that's another option verses going back and hacking up the exhaust again. Or just the Richie's Test-Pipe might give you a deeper louder sound without having to touch the exhaust again. Just an option.
I do not have Richie's J-Pipe. I am not really wanting to go that route at this point. So you think that removing the resonator will make it a bit louder... thats what i was thinking...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, so far I have heard one vote for taking off the pre-muffler, and one vote for taking off the resonator... Any thoughts from anyone else?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Taking out the resonator will make it louder than taking out the pre-muffler. The resonator is there to stop any drone, so removing it may cause some drone with the aftermarket mufflers. If you want it a little louder/drone-free, I say take out the pre-muffler and leave the resonator.

·
j35 psi 6sp
1,375 Posts
leave the resonator and remove the mid muff.. if its not loud enough then remove resonator and replace it with a magnaflow one. problem solved :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Buy the J-pipe and see how it changes the sound, if its not loud enough and you kept the backpressure you needed, remove the mid-muffler to avoid droning. Just my .02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts