Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Your Mom Drives a Honda
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Headunit in lower cubby with XM?

New headunit question.

alright I know this is an AVE question but it only pertains to 7th gen so please don't move it. I am going to give up my DVD player/screen since my dvd player died and I'm going to get the kit for the lower cubby hole and get a new headunit that is XM ready. I want to keep my XM and already have it ran like it was from the factory. My question is I want to hook up XM to my new headunit and I want to know how the antenea works. Can I use the factory antenea with the new headunit and XM or do I have to buy a new antenea as well and mount a second one on the car. Also is the XM tuner from the factory built into the headunit or is it mounted behind it so that it can be used with an aftermarket headunit. I am looking at a panasonic headunit that is XM ready and I want to be able to use it and do it as easily as possible...so if anyone has done this already or knows how to let me knjow

·
Registered
222 Posts
You will need a new XM antenna unfortunately. The connectors for the factory antenna are proprietary for the unit Honda uses. You could probably fashion your own antenna adapter, but I don't know exactly what type the connectors are.
The XM tuner is mounted on the passenger side rear qtr panel behind the spare tire jack. My unit is a Pioneer XM receiver, but again it has proprietary connections and I don't believe you would be able to use it w/ a Pioneer HU.

·
Your Mom Drives a Honda
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if i want xm i am going to have to get all new junk...not really sure if its worth it and i dont want a black antenae on my car and the factory one...hmmm.....might have to figure out how to splice the wires and get a diagram and connect them that way because id really like to use whats already in there...i pretty sure of the antenae thing but didnt know about the XM reciever...thouht that maybe it was built into the headunit so that blows but ill figure something out.....

·
St. Louis!
3,378 Posts
I mounted my sirius antenna in the front dash, it works like a charm. Don't have to clunk up my exterior, those things can be such an eyesore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts