Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a bit of a problem with noise somewhere in my system.
Have a half din screen installed on top (nexson/brian). ps2 in the glovebox - everything running off a hard drive.
Everything going to stock HU (with a usa-spec unit or ipod and aux in).
Ps2 goes to half din (audio and video). Then audio goes down to the usa-spec unit and into the headunit.
Ps2 powered off a +12v (cig lighter). EVERYTHING is grounded to the factory radio (ps2, cig lighters, usa-spec unit, half din).

The noise is not a typical engine noise. It is there when the car is on or off, with the hard drive connected or disconnected (though it might be noise from this but it is not). Does not increase in pitch with increase in rpm.

It is just a constant high pitch noise present when the ps2 is on. The screen also has to be on as well since the audio is passing through there.

An suggestions on how to eliminate?

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
Use better audio cables for the PS/2 and run a sperat ground wire to the metal of the PS2 chassis to the chassis grounf of the car.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am already using some good quality audio cables for the ps2. I am going to try running directly from the ps2 to the usa-spec adapter instead of going through the screen.
As far as grounding the ps2, it is a plastic case, and the ground from the power connector is already grounded to the best spot that I would have picked on the PCB.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am already using some good quality audio cables for the ps2. I am going to try running directly from the ps2 to the usa-spec adapter instead of going through the screen.
As far as grounding the ps2, it is a plastic case, and the ground from the power connector is already grounded to the best spot that I would have picked on the PCB.
Sometimes engine noise can be really hard to trace, if you're already using good shielded RCA cables and have the rca cables run separately from the power lines, try creating a really good common ground.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, was feeling pretty sick today so I just bummed around and did a couple little things.

Some more info for the noise problem.
When the car is OFF, radio is ON and ps2 powered off, there is a slight noise. unplug ps2 and it goes away (thus this is the source of all of it).
The noise gets worse when the ps2 is turned on.
It gets even worse when a hard drive is plugged into the USB port.

Here is my plan.
Since the 12V+ source seems fine, I am going to leave that. As well, it is grounded to everything else (radio,ipod/aux input, screen, etc) at the same point. going to leave that for now.
I am going to open up the ps2 and find out if I can reground a couple things in there, especially adding another ground for the USB ports.

Have a feeling that wont solve everything though - i suspect there will still be some noise when everything is off.
Any more suggestions?

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
^Ground the chassis of the PS2 and the HD (find a good metal to wire screw point) and tie them to the grounding point behind the cubby just below the radio.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ps2 is already grounded there.
The problem is that the chassis of the ps2 is plastic. so I am just going to add a couple of wires (USB to power ground, power ground to internal fan, etc).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ps2 slim.
i am also going to try disconnecting the fan momentarily and find out of that is causing any noise there.

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
I doubt it, if I get a chance today I will try to take a pick of where to ground it at, I have one myself, not in my car, but I could have sworn I saw a spot for a 3MM sized screw.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I have some pretty bad electrical noise as well, but mine consists of alternator whine as well. Hopefully you get your problem fixed. I'll be watching this thread closely for hints/tips.

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
0 ga is overkill, but will work, there are only two bolts that mount the alternator, the one you want will be visible on top and bolts directly to the alternator.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Sweet!! Paul saves the day once again!! Back on topic, Benyaki how do you like having the ps2 in the glove? I've thought about doing that for a while, do yo use it alot?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, some new info. Hopefully someone can solve the problem for me.

I cleaned up a bit of my wiring, took out some cables etc. Noise was still there.
I left the 12V wired up behind the dash, but did not use it. I instead powered the ps2 from the wall charger. Noise went away.
So I figured it is either the way it is wired up, or the charger.
So I tested the 12V charger, but powered off a 120/12v converter (ie not from the car battery).
NOISE went away.

So I have concluded that it is the way that it is wired up that is causing the noise (taking power from a cig lighter behind the dash, grounded with everything.
Any other way that someone can suggest wiring this up so that the noise is removed?

As for the ps2 in the glovebox, works good for me. I just stick in my hard drive and leave it closed. The IR receiver is re-located to the cubby hole, and I just control everything by remote. (see my pics in the 7th gen forum).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Just tried a clip on ferrite bead (stole it from a USB cable here).
It MAYBE decreased the noise a little bit when I had it on the power lead to the charger. (12V - not the ground - would not fit around both)
So basically that didnt do much.
Should I try wiring the 12V directly from the fuse panel by the drivers door (ACC)?
I also just noticed that this noise causes lines on the screen, and there may be some on the screen itself (without the ps2 plugged in - so they both might be causing some of the problem).
But I am sure it is the power the ps2 that is causing the whine (cause plugged into the wall, there is no problem)

capnff: it is running off a DC-DC (12-8.5V) converter. No inverter. As far as I can tell, the charger itself is fine (when plugged into another car, while the ps2 is hooked up to my car, everything is fine. The noise only happens when the charger is hooked up to my car.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. I spent a little more time today looking at this.
Took the screen and the ps2 (+12V) and powered them directly from the battery. There was still noise.
I am pretty sure it is just the ****ty converter.

I have been reading a bit today on this, and it sounds like some people just run 12V straight to the DC port on the ps2 (even though it is supposed to be 8.5V). Not the best.
I am also thinking of getting a DC noise filter. - dont know much about them, but i guess ill read up on them today/tomorrow

1 - 20 of 23 Posts