Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
almost done putting it back together. JE 83mm pistons, forged rods, arp'd up. enjoy the pics.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
oooooo...very nice :up:

and for those of you that don't know what you're looking at, that's a VW 15-degree VR6 block. It's a very sweet engine. It has a very high power density thanks to the compact layout - V6 power in the space of a 4-cylinder. And balance wise it's closer to an Inline-6 (perfectly balanced) than a V6 (end to end vibrations).

So what are your plans for it power-wise, or are you just getting it back together and running? :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
i dont know jack about that engine other than the fact that it uses a 15* bank angle and the implications of that confuse me greatly... it looks like it uses ONE head, lol. if im wrong shows what i know.. make sure and post pics of everything else so all us vr6 noobs can know wtf is going on! lol

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
Vigo said:
i dont know jack about that engine other than the fact that it uses a 15* bank angle and the implications of that confuse me greatly... it looks like it uses ONE head, lol. if im wrong shows what i know.. make sure and post pics of everything else so all us vr6 noobs can know wtf is going on! lol
there's simply no need to be confused on anything at V6P. :)

http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/engine/tech_engine_packaging.htm

Autozine has a GREAT write-up on the VR6 engines as the first chapter of their engine packaging section. They also go in depth on the 24-valve VR6.

:up2:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the link SteVTEC pretty much sums it all up, nice post. there is only one head, everything is just a bit offset. im planning on running NA w/ a metal spacer (9:1 CR) for my screw compressor whenever i find a real job. stock output is 178bhp and 177ft-lbs. im hoping for ~180whp when finished. here is the only decent pic i have of the head, the shop still has it :banghead:

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
4,271 Posts
^ Good info :) The VR6 is a very interesting engine, especially the 24V version with it's crazy cam setup :eek:

I wonder how the weight of the VR6 compares to an inline-6, inline-4 and a conventional 60 or 90* V6? It looks like it would be a bit lighter than a typical V6 engine like the J-series, and about equal in weight to an inline-6.

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
Welcome :wave:

So, that’s what a VR6 engine looks like without the head, interesting :) (I've only seen diagrams of how they work). Odd looking 12 valve head though.

Good luck with your mods :) .

TH23 said:
^ Good info :) The VR6 is a very interesting engine, especially the 24V version with it's crazy cam setup :eek:
The 24 valve cam setup is very complicated.

·
Registered
175 Posts
genius.. i had been asking myself how they could fit 4 cams on a head so narrow, and when i found out they had two and looked at the pic.. i was surprised to see my idea wasnt stupid, lol.. thats how it works. totally cool.

how high do these engines rev?

and im curious how, with different length runners in the head, the manifolds manage to be twisted around to make airflow even.. anybody got a pic or explanation on that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts