Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Accord owners,
I have a new problem. Originally 225/40ZR/18 came with the wheels.
I repaired the wheels and was ready to put them on my accord, when I found out that 3 of the tires were no good. I have to buy 3 new tires of the same size or start with whole new set of tires. What a *****. ;(

I have a question
I am thinking about going to 225/45/18. Will that make any diffrence in protecting the wheel?

Also 225/45YR/18 seems significantly cheaper than 225/45ZR/18?
Why is that? Can I use YR tires instead of ZR for the wheels?

Thanks in advanced.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
isaacjson said:
I have a question
I am thinking about going to 225/45/18. Will that make any diffrence in protecting the wheel?
Yes, definitely. Not only is there more sidewall to absorb the energy of bumps on the road, but more importantly, there is also more air inside the tire.

isaacjson said:
Also 225/45YR/18 seems significantly cheaper than 225/45ZR/18?
Why is that? Can I use YR tires instead of ZR for the wheels?
I believe you have that backwards. It is a common misconception that z-rated tires are better than v, w, or y. In fact, a "z-rated" tire just means that the tire can be v-rated and up. If you buy a y-rated tire, it will be up to par with, or better than, a similar z-rated tire.

·
Registered
763 Posts
225/45/18 tires will look too thick on the wheels, plus it will throw the speedo and odometer off. Getting 17's with 225/45/17 would've been a better choice for you..

·
Your Mom Drives a Honda
1,999 Posts
did you not notice that when you posted this in your OTHER thread...people responded to it...no need to make a new thread...and what brand of wheels did you buy...i bought a not to expensive set of wheels and i live in the STICKS...and never damaged a wheel...sounds like there has to be some driver error here..you cant just drive like you would on stock wheels...there has to be some conservativeness involved....remember smaller series tires=less protection...i even explained the tire issue of ratings and that your speedo will be off by a minimum of 2% if you switched tires

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for your input.

Does anyone know if the tires will rub the inside wall if I put 235/45/18?

My accord is not lowered.

Thanks again to fellow Accord owners...

·
Registered
763 Posts
isaacjson said:
Thanks all for your input.

Does anyone know if the tires will rub the inside wall if I put 235/45/18?

My accord is not lowered.

Thanks again to fellow Accord owners...
It depends on the offset of your wheels. The problem is it would be over 3% off from stock diameter which isn't recommended, the 235/40/18 would be a better choice than that, its actually only .24% difference from stock. I'll post the sidewall heights for convenien

225/40/18 - 3.54"
225/45/18 - 3.98"
235/40/18 - 3.70" <-I'd get that size.

Whats the width of your wheels? I'd put 235mm wide tires on a wheel with at least 7.5" width, if its 8" then its perfect. By the way, what wheels do you have?

What most people dont know is that just because the wheel isn't visibily bent doesn't mean its not bent, it only takes a little bit before the balance goes totally out of whack.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have 225/45 x 18 Michelin Pilot Sport tires on 18 x 7 1/2 Kazera "T" wheels.

Pilot Sports cost about $250 ea @ Tire Rack and the Kazera wheels were about $145 each.

The wheel tire combo fits perfectly without any rub or speedo issues. I have had a bent rim after I hit a bad pot hole. I hadn't had the setup long and complained to Tire Rack.....they helped me out in getting a new wheel. I asked them if the Kazera wheels were just a cheap wheel and they told me they are high quality and actually made under license (or whatever it is) from BBS.

Now, I have a good 20K on the package (summer use only) and just had that one issue. Right now I'm running my stock 215/50 X 17 Michelin all seasons on the stock Honda 17 x 7 inch wheel. The stock wheel and tire package is MUCH heavier than the Kazera package. So I guess this should tell you something. I guess there's less unsprung weight, but it is probably a lot easier to bend a rim.

If I could have afforded it or if you could afford it go with a forged wheel instead of cast. They are much stronger but of course more expensive!

My car is a 04 AV6 6 speeder.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
225/40/18 isn’t proper size tire for your car, its too small.

215/45/18 price at tirerack ranges from $109 to $285, all these tires z-rated at minimum
this tire has 3.8" sidewall and its only 0.3% smaller then stock wheel (pretty much perfect match)

225/45/18 price ranges from $95 to $232, all these tires v-rated at minimum
this tire has 4" sidewall and its 1.1% bigger then stock wheels (not bad)

235/40/18 price ranges from $97 to $261, all these tires v-rated at minimum,
this tire has 3.7" sidewall and its 1.1% smaller then stock wheels (not bad)

I agree with lazybum, but here is another aspect for you to think about.
I know you said that your car at stock height, but if there any chance of you to decide on lowering, I’d recommend to go with 225/45/18. This tire narrower so there will be less chance for tire to rub and this tire has highest sidewall out of three.

·
Registered
763 Posts
HONDA_99 said:
225/40/18 isn’t proper size tire for your car, its too small.

215/45/18 price at tirerack ranges from $109 to $285, all these tires z-rated at minimum
this tire has 3.8" sidewall and its only 0.3% smaller then stock wheel (pretty much perfect match)

225/45/18 price ranges from $95 to $232, all these tires v-rated at minimum
this tire has 4" sidewall and its 1.1% bigger then stock wheels (not bad)

235/40/18 price ranges from $97 to $261, all these tires v-rated at minimum,
this tire has 3.7" sidewall and its 1.1% smaller then stock wheels (not bad)

I agree with lazybum, but here is another aspect for you to think about.
I know you said that your car at stock height, but if there any chance of you to decide on lowering, I’d recommend to go with 225/45/18. This tire narrower so there will be less chance for tire to rub and this tire has highest sidewall out of three.
isaacjson's car might be at stock height but mine is not. I guess its important to find out if he has the 6 speed. My stock tire size (6 spd) is 215/50/17. Based on that tire size 235/40/18 has a diameter difference of .24% while 215/45/18 has a difference of .59%. 215/45/18 has a sidewall thats thicker by .1" from 235/40/18 but i think the extra 20mm is worth it. If his wheels are 8" wide then 215 is too narrow to put on the wheels, even 225/40/18 is a little too narrow.

I have 235/35/19 on my ride lowered to no gap in the rear and maybe a finger gap in the front with no rubbing (19x8 +45mm offset).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your knowledge.
I hate to repair the wheels as often. Absorbing the impact is the only thing that I really care about.

I have stock suspension and not a 6 speed.
My wheels are 7.5 x 18 / 45.0 +
235/45 tire setup would be good without rubbing?

I am certain to go for 235/45 setup as long as it does not rub.

Thanks again.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
235/45 will fit on an 18x7.5. The intended tire width for a 7.5" wheel is 225, but 235 will fit, and 245 has even been done before (although not recommended). I'm not sure if it'll rub or not though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks fellow Accord owners.
I ordered 235/45 from tirerack today.

I will keep you updated on how things go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts