Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the first post I wanted to make on this but I'm experiencing a wierd problem..

When I first start my car and make the first turn - either left or right I hear a "click/clunk" type noise. The thing is, it only happens once and then not again during the course of driving. I notice it mainly when the car has been sitting for a few hours.

There's nothing rubbing that I've noticed. Besides, it would be constant if there was. Could it be something with the traction control engaging? I'm stumped. Thanks for the help.

·
Import driving azzhole
492 Posts
It could be the ABS self check. I always get a thump when my car has been sitting for a few hours. I get it in the morning when I leave for work. The thump occurs after I have gone about 50 ft. Then I get a thump when I leave work. It is not as a pronounced as it used to be when the car was new. I have an 03 with 30k miles.

·
Going back to my roots.
305 Posts
is your car lowered? if so than its most likely the binding noise coming from the springs. it happens if the springs arent seated perfectly in the cups......its not a big deal, eventually they'll settle in the right spot. ive been thru that 3 or 4 times now

if ur car isnt dropped, than im not sure what it is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
murphman331 said:
It could be the ABS self check. I always get a thump when my car has been sitting for a few hours. I get it in the morning when I leave for work. The thump occurs after I have gone about 50 ft. Then I get a thump when I leave work. It is not as a pronounced as it used to be when the car was new. I have an 03 with 30k miles.
Thats it to a "t" actually. Kind of a wierd feature but it definetly makes sense.

Seems to be more pronounced when it's cold outside.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I get a thump/ or clunk down near the pedal area when i first drive my car when it is cold in the morning on my first turn! Not sure what it could be but i will do some research.

·
i<3 my P.O.S.
652 Posts
yeah i get that too when i pull aweay fromt the driveway in the morning and my car is lowered too ....didn't pay much attention when the car was not lowered prolly just teh ABS

·
Registered
211 Posts
It is the traction control self check. I quesioned the noise to the Tech at the dealer and he said when you first drive the car after it has been sitting for a period of time it does a computer check and that is what causes the noise. No worries it normal. Peace

·
Registered
352 Posts
sweet03accord said:
It is the traction control self check. I quesioned the noise to the Tech at the dealer and he said when you first drive the car after it has been sitting for a period of time it does a computer check and that is what causes the noise. No worries it normal. Peace

Actually, I believe it is the reverse lockout engagement. Regardless, it definately is normal. No worries. See if it does it when you pull straight out of a parking spot and don't make any turns. It should still happen.

J

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
i get that clunk when i first take off too. i have been worried about it and been trying to figure out what it was. i only notice it when i back out then forward about 20ft at about 10-15 mph. since most people here seem to agree that it is some form of "self-check", i guess i can relax.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have an 03 coupe and it does the same thing. I went to the dealer and talked to a tech and he also said it is the ABS self check. You can actually check yourself by unplugging the main ABS wiring harness and then starting your car up and driving. If there is no "thunk" noise then you know it was the ABS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts