Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time for my car's first oil change (2016) with 2800 miles. It's been a year so I figured it's better to change it even though I haven't got the miles on it yet.

I found out that Honda discontinued the recommended 0w-20 oil in synthetic blend and only comes in full synthetic now. The only weight that Honda sells now in syn blend is 5w-20.

It is ok to use full synthetic? I don't put many miles on the car and my experience with synthetic (years ago) is that they tend to make motors more prone to leaking.

Good idea or bad?

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
full syn 5w20 A-okay :)

·
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,785 Posts
You could use Conventional 10w30 and be ok also. I never run Synthetic in my engines due to personal preference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My options here are (if I want to use the "official" Honda oil) are:

- synthetic blend 5w-20
- full synthetic 0w-20

I know either will work but what is the better of the two options? Will I be inviting leaking issues with full synthetic or is that a thing of the past?

·
Registered
1 Posts
If your mileage is gonna stay that low for a year I'd go with the blend really, if you find you'll be doing more driving the full synthetic would be better. Either would be absolutely fine though long term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,785 Posts
Will I be inviting leaking issues with full synthetic or is that a thing of the past?
If you are talking about leaks around the valve stem seals, etc., that would apply to a high mileage engine that still uses synthetic. At some point during high mileage, but not for all cases, it is best to change to conventional because the molecules in conventional oils are bigger than synthetic. Those bigger molecules are less likely to "squeeze" their way past the seals - i.e. leak.

If you are talking about blow-by, then it is a crap shoot with these J-series. My J30A1 (98-02 engines) had noticeable signs of blow by at around 80k miles. I did buy it used with 44k miles, not sure what oil the owner used. I always used conventional with it after I bought it.

There was a member on this forum with a 7th gen Accord with the J30A4/A5 (03-07 engines) that had serious blow-by at around 50k miles. Can't remember if he used synthetic or conventional.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My options here are (if I want to use the "official" Honda oil) are:

- synthetic blend 5w-20
- full synthetic 0w-20

I know either will work but what is the better of the two options? Will I be inviting leaking issues with full synthetic or is that a thing of the past?
The 5w-20 would be fine.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I use full synthetic on all my cars, go 8 to 10K miles, double that of dyno oils. Done it for years, no problems at all. Toyota recommends 10K mile oil changes with full synthetic, I owned a new Camry for several years & got the free oil changes every 10k miles. (Mobil 1)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts