Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Already posted this on G7A, anyone got any input?

http://forums.gen7accord.net/viewtopic.php?t=1676

Oil Filter Relocation Kit:
Anyone know of one? Got a link?

Gotta do our first oil change on the cord... goin to up to synthetic, relocate the oil filter, and add a fumoto valve.

a oil filter relocation kit is just as it says. I have one my jeep. It is just a a hose that hooks up to where your oil filter usually screws into and a connection at the top for an oil filter. Makes changing your oil much easier. It also acts as an oil cooler b/c it is just a bit further away from the engine. Usually you have to add just a tad bit more oil than the manual says.

As for a fumoto valve its just a valve that replaces your oil plug. No need to get all nasty when doing an oil change. And no more losing your plug in the oil drain pan.

heres a link for the fumoto valve.

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

I still have to check with them to make sure they make it for 7thgen accord. I have one on my jeep and on my camry. Never leaks either.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
less messy, and gives me something to install :D hows that?

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
have you been on www.bobistheoilguy.com forums? they are the #1 technical resource for any oil-related question.

fram makes a similar valve, available for around $15 OTC. its called the "SureDrain" or something like that.

why are you going to synthetic? how long do you plan to keep the car? what is your driving style? short trips? cold starts? viscosity? many mile miles between changes? what filter you using?

^ all factors to take into consideration.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx for the link ill check it out tonight.

as for using synthetic, i use it in all my vehicles.

Im sure that the fram drain is just as good, but the fumoto valve hasnt given me any trouble on my other 2 vehicles, so ill stick with them.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
synthetic is really only necessary if you are doing extended drain intervals. a general rule of thumb is that synthetics do MUCH better than dino oils after approximately 7k miles of use, depending on the engine of course. if you are doing 3k-5k drain intervals, synthetic would be a waste of money.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya i understand that... I use synthetic for that reason... mainly b/c I usually go up to 7k before an oil change...

Doesnt GReddy make one of these?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used to own a 94 Ford T-Bird. It came with the modular 281 (same as the mustang g.t.) The oil filter was a b****! This made oil filter relocation's a popular mod. Keep in mind that rubber or even silicone hoses aren't exactly the most reliable. I upgraded to the ss lines for peace of mine. Also, the oil filter adapter I used had two in and two out lines which made hooking up oil pressure or temp gauges a snap. Both the oil filter adapter and spin on plate were made by perma cool I think.

As you mentioned the added benefit of the extra oil, plus the larger filter we could use did help. It is also very easy to splice in an oil cooler if you are worried about the temps.

The accord oil change is probably the easiest I have ever done, however the filters on these cars or tiny. I don't think I would do it for this car unless I:
1. Had the urge to throw something new on the car
2. Had money to blow

I always seem to have way more 1 then 2!

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
i'd like to know more about the oil filter relocation. if anyone has any info, please post! i dont so much mind the location of the filter, but i do find it very annoying that oil drips EVERYwhere when removing the filter.

·
I Jumped Off Da Bandwagon
2,204 Posts
i just change my oil/filter today. Drips from the filter can be cleaned up easily, you just got to pinpoint where the oil will shoot to and place the pan there. Doing it many times makes good practice and less mess.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
regardless of pan placement, oil always splatters on whatever is between the filter and the pan. part of the front subframe or frame is in the way, so oil gets all over it, and will continue to drip for a while, even if u wipe it up.

·
I Jumped Off Da Bandwagon
2,204 Posts
At least it's easy to clean off the oil from the subframe. I drain the engine oil before i change the oil filter. Less oil drips out from the filter=less oil to clean up.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
hfpaccord04 said:
Already posted this on G7A, anyone got any input?

http://forums.gen7accord.net/viewtopic.php?t=1676

Oil Filter Relocation Kit:
Anyone know of one? Got a link?

Gotta do our first oil change on the cord... goin to up to synthetic, relocate the oil filter, and add a fumoto valve.

a oil filter relocation kit is just as it says. I have one my jeep. It is just a a hose that hooks up to where your oil filter usually screws into and a connection at the top for an oil filter. Makes changing your oil much easier. It also acts as an oil cooler b/c it is just a bit further away from the engine. Usually you have to add just a tad bit more oil than the manual says.

As for a fumoto valve its just a valve that replaces your oil plug. No need to get all nasty when doing an oil change. And no more losing your plug in the oil drain pan.

heres a link for the fumoto valve.

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

I still have to check with them to make sure they make it for 7thgen accord. I have one on my jeep and on my camry. Never leaks either.

Honda_99 is right...no need to relocate the filter because its very accesable after removing the wheel.....the drain plug on the other hand is more difficulty....I am using the fram easy oil change thing......if you want to make it easier there's a guy makes a pump that will pump it out of the dipstick...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thx for all the comments, I do appreciate them but there still arent any links or info on who makes the kit....

I do have the filter relocation kit setup on my jeep and it makes the oil change much easier, and the location of the filter on the jeep is much easier to access than the accord. But yet I still have it.

So shall we establish that I am interested in doing it and who makes it? :D Im not trying to be a d!ck, but does anyone have any info on who makes one??

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
Hongda said:
At least it's easy to clean off the oil from the subframe. I drain the engine oil before i change the oil filter. Less oil drips out from the filter=less oil to clean up.
i think there are differences b/w the filter location on v6 and L4. i always drain oil first, and even so, i still get about 1/4 quart leakage of dirty oil.

iono bout you guys, but for me, removing the wheel wouldnt make a lick of a difference in reaching the filter.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
hfpaccord04 said:
thx for all the comments, I do appreciate them but there still arent any links or info on who makes the kit....

I do have the filter relocation kit setup on my jeep and it makes the oil change much easier, and the location of the filter on the jeep is much easier to access than the accord. But yet I still have it.

So shall we establish that I am interested in doing it and who makes it? :D Im not trying to be a d!ck, but does anyone have any info on who makes one??
i dont think these kits need to be car-specific. look for a kit that has 20mmx1.5 threads on the female side. choose whatever you want on the male end, just make sure you can find a good filter in that size.

also, try to avoid getting too long of a hose, because that will increase the resistance to oil flow. also, make sure you get a hose made out of something durable, and install it away from the exhuast, and steer clear of belts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thx suptimwong! I was thinking the same thing, but when I google for the kit, all that pops up is different vehicle specs. Nothing for an accord. I wasnt sure what size to get.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts