Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad recently changed the oil in my car, but for some odd reason, the oil gauge below the speedometer says my oil life is only 30%. is there any way to reset this to reflect the actual oil life? i currently have 42xx miles in my car so far.

note - i believe some accords might not have this oil indicator cause i think it came standard in 06, and optional in 05 (?)

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Maybe you need to reset it by disconecting the negative battery cable.

Try cleaning the old oil off the sensor if thats possible. I wonder how the oil gauge sensors are working in the Beamers.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just put the car in On position (DON"T START THE ENGINE) then hold down the trip meter gauge for about 5 to 10 seconds. Then close and restart it will be fine. You have to do that every time you doa maintenance obn your car like oil change and ETC

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fastV6 said:
Just put the car in On position (DON"T START THE ENGINE) then hold down the trip meter gauge for about 5 to 10 seconds. Then close and restart it will be fine. You have to do that every time you doa maintenance obn your car like oil change and ETC
oh thank you very much :) i got the oil indicator to report the correct % now :D

·
My Third Accord!
841 Posts
i think this feature came out in 06, i never heard about it being available in 05

also note when you reset it the odometer must be showing....if the outside temp is showing it will take you to the thermometer calibration.

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
So how do these oil life monitors work? Is there actually some sort of sensor? That isn't what I thought. I thought it was just a computer algorithm that tracks driving conditions and loads and then extrapolates the oil life. They model oil life in labs, can create models for how it'll degrade over time under various conditions, and then that's the oil life monitor system work. Could somebody confirm that there are actually sensors used in it?

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
SteVTEC said:
So how do these oil life monitors work? Is there actually some sort of sensor? That isn't what I thought. I thought it was just a computer algorithm that tracks driving conditions and loads and then extrapolates the oil life. They model oil life in labs, can create models for how it'll degrade over time under various conditions, and then that's the oil life monitor system work. Could somebody confirm that there are actually sensors used in it?
I too would like to know, can't imagine them using algorithims to sense how much oil there is though, thats for sure, as for the life who knows.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
SteVTEC said:
im almost entirely certain that there are sensors that measure insolubles and trace metals like Si, Cu and others. guys on BITOG have discussed the Maintenance Minder System before, and I know that some of them have gone over 20k before the oil life monitors have triggered the Maintenance Minder indicators, which come on only after the oil life drops to 15%

couldnt find any info on iN though. this system also comes in the 06 civic, and 05-06 odyssey, among others. MY05 odyssey was the first vehicle to get this feature

·
5,056 Posts
i googled for 'oil life monitor sensor' and didn't seem to get any solid hits. I think it's purely computer algorithm based. They could make a sensor for oil level also, but why, when you can just check the dipstick for free.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
i also didnt find any parts for a sensor on iN, but I am still inclined to believe that it is not derived from algorithms. i did find out, however, that info for the Maintenance Minder is stored on the PCM, but that doesnt necessarily say anything. the PCM could also possibly handle the algorithms based on input from the drivetrain

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
SteVTEC said:
i googled for 'oil life monitor sensor' and didn't seem to get any solid hits. I think it's purely computer algorithm based. They could make a sensor for oil level also, but why, when you can just check the dipstick for free.
Because BMW owners dont want to get dirty :p

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
SteVTEC said:
you know, i was thinking about it again today. doesnt make sense that you'd have to "reset" the "oil life monitor" if it truly was based on input from oil composition. that, in combination with the fact that i could not find ANYTHING related to an oil-sensor in iN leads me to retract my former opinion, and jump on the boat with all-knowing stevtec.

my conclusion: must be based on an algorithm from powertrain input.

·
5,056 Posts
that's why I was thinking it was computer algorithm based :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SteVTEC said:
that's why I was thinking it was computer algorithm based :D
which is why you should not spend the $180 to upgrade for it :) after i reset the indicator, it's still at 100% and the oil is about 3 weeks old. if there were a sensor then it would have recognized the new oil by now, even after driving the car over 100 miles already. i change my oil every 3,000 miles anyways, so it would be foolish to rely on an oil indicator that doesn't even use a sensor.

·
My Third Accord!
841 Posts
well it would be worthwhile for the "typical" accord drivers i am sure...but for us, we take care of our cars without being told to by a maintenance system.

i always figured the sensor was software based because the going the sensor route would be more costly to the company and they do want to make money.

the reset feature drove that theory home

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
phongtruong12 said:
i change my oil every 3,000 miles anyways
is there a particular reason why you are using such short Oil Change Intervals? people with k24's and j30's on BITOG hvae seen great Used Oil Analyses from Blackstone Labs on 6000-7000 mile OCIs, under a variety of driving conditions.

also, are you using synthetic oil? IMO, and in the opinion of 90% of BITOG members, synthetic is a complete waste on OCIs of under 5000 miles.

·
My Third Accord!
841 Posts
just to weigh in i am using synthetic and changing at 6000-6500k intervals

·
5,056 Posts
there does not appear to be a sensor though. And "clarity" of the oil does not necessarily correlate with oil life remaning. That's one of the big oil myths.

·
Registered
286 Posts
yup, theres no sensor. although it would be cool if it was really a sensor. the computer just calculates the engine revolutions and other conditions and then displays an approximate percentage.

With this being said, would you guys rely on this indicator, or change it every 3K???

1 - 20 of 35 Posts