Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious. i just went over to the forums on gen7accord, but it seems like no one has posted there in months?? a little confused about that one.

also seen a gen7 forum on driveaccord, and also theres h-t which has a general accord forum (generally lacking in gen7 owners).

the few things that really bug me about v6p is:
(1) the search nazis. imo, these guys are turning away a lot of newbies that could really have a lot of potential for contributing to this community.
(2) the "import t00ners" (see thread on 5 levels of forum members, can be found in stevtec's sig) which pop up once in a while, pretending they know everything
(3) the people perpetuate misconceptions/myths without any substantial evidence or proof. stating an opinion is one thing, but they should be accompanied by disclaimers, as to not confuse them as being facts.
(4) immaturity, in general.

thats about it for my rant, but honestly, are there any other good gen7 forums you guys know of?

·
Superccord
907 Posts
hammer03 said:
idk what you saw over at gen7, but we have over 600 members now, its more active than ever. :confused:

but everything-honda is probably hoping to get more members too.
yeah but, lets be realistic, how many of them are active? I mean, it's just different on that site.

·
Anh Yeu Em Jenny
251 Posts
im with ^^ on the everything-honda...but anyways why v6p have a search nazi for?why hatein on noob ?wasnt we use to be like that b4?

·
Formerly VTEC-v6!
5,254 Posts
sumptimwong said:
(1) the search nazis. imo, these guys are turning away a lot of newbies that could really have a lot of potential for contributing to this community.
(2) the "import t00ners" (see thread on 5 levels of forum members, can be found in stevtec's sig) which pop up once in a while, pretending they know everything
(3) the people perpetuate misconceptions/myths without any substantial evidence or proof. stating an opinion is one thing, but they should be accompanied by disclaimers, as to not confuse them as being facts.
Topic one has already been discussed, please search :p

Topics two, three and four can all be curbed by moderation...we try to keep up with them as they pop up.

Unfortunately, until the member base for that particular model gets a bit older and more mature, topics 2, 3 and 4 will continue to exist and be a problem on every forum there is...so we have to deal with it as it comes along

-James :cool:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
sumptimwong said:
just curious. i just went over to the forums on gen7accord, but it seems like no one has posted there in months?? a little confused about that one.

also seen a gen7 forum on driveaccord, and also theres h-t which has a general accord forum (generally lacking in gen7 owners).

thats about it for my rant, but honestly, are there any other good gen7 forums you guys know of?
hey wong,
there are several other forums out there like accordtuner, etc., but i personally haven't subscribed to those. gen7accord i am subscribed, but like u said not many people post there, and the questions i have i never seem to find answers when looking through there. i think v6p has been the best source of info for me :) plus i like how it's broken up into sub categories. like performance, show mods, technical.etc.. cuz the other forums just have everything all bundled on one thread. if i remember correctly i think one of em doesn't even have a search feature :rolleye2: so personally i think for now v6p is the best forum for us 7th gen's :up: luckily i haven't been attacked by the search nazi's. :D

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
sumptimwong said:
1) searching: well it's just like it's discussed in that thread. There is TONS of good information here, and people like myself and others have put in countless hours posting on really involved topics. If the same question or discussion comes up again, I'm _not_ going to repeat the same thing over for the ump-teenth time when I've already spent in some cases hours, or even days, explaining the same exact thing in a previous thread. It's also a forum rule...

20) Please treat the V6P.net Forums as a "LIBRARY", not a chatroom. Chances are good that the question you're asking has been discussed and answered before, possibly in great depth and detail. Please use the SEARCH feature to find previous threads and read through the FAQs before asking questions. There is no need to keep creating the same threads asking the same questions over and over again. Extremely repetetive threads will be locked and/or deleted.
2) "import t00ners": we try to keep that to an absolute minimum here, and I think for the most part we do a pretty good job of it compared to other forums. we're not shy about giving people the boot if they're just going to blather crap and lower the intelligence level of this place.

3) that's just how a lot of people are, and for the most part I don't think they mean to do it intentionally either. The Internet nowadays has a credibility rating of pretty much zero, and unfortunately a lot of people just don't know enough to be able to distinguish between what's BS and what's not, and what a credible source is and what isn't. Not everybody has a technical/analytical mindset either, which doesn't help. #3 is also related to #1. If you post a thread asking something, people will tend to go with and repeat the first reply they get (especially if it's what they want to hear) even if it's flat out wrong. Nevermind that there may be a far more detailed and invovled thread that they could have easily found by searching where all of those myths and misconceptions were cross-examined and de-bunked and the proper conclusion was reached, which is why we say to search and read FAQs.

4) the current demograph of this community is towards the younger side, so WYSIWYG, and there's really not a whole lot that can be done about it. Back in the day this used to be a semi-professional forum with a lot of college aged people and young professionals. But the automotive marketplace has exploded, esp in the $20-35k segment and a lot of those people that would have bought AV6s back in the day now buy other cars. There's much more to choose from. The AV6 just doesn't attract the young-professional or professional in training crowd like it used to. You see a lot of people that have a WRX/EVO/STi/G35 or whatever as their own car, and the AV6 is their wives or gf's.
. The AV6 is always last on the list for aftermarket parts, and they now have a rep for pathetically frail transmissions and is sorta a "stay away" car for the tuner crowd. It didn't used to be that way though.

6th gen coupes are still sexy as hell though. :up2: So this community has more emphasis on show than go, and as a result of that it ends up being a bit less technical than other forums.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stevtec to the rescue, as always. ive never taken the opportunity to express my appreciation of your technical knowledge and analytical skills, so i'll take this opportunity to do so. i honestly think that v6p wouldnt be half of what it is without guys like you. imo, the presence of individuals such as yourself DO keep the posts from import t00ners at bay, due to the fear that you may pop up and flame them for their nonsense ;D

i can't agree more with on, on issues #2-4. but i still cant help but gripe about it ;D but i'll deal.

about issue #1: no doubt the importance of searching, but that is not the point i was trying to make. certainly there is no point in repeating information that has been covered in great depth, but there it is equally silly to chastise a new member for neglecting to use the search function. a polite reminder would do just fine, and there is neither a necessity nor a point in being rude. im sure you can agree with me on this one ;D

VTEC-v6! said:
Topic one has already been discussed, please search
LMAO! im not sure if you were serious or not, but interestingly enough, there IS a thread discussing "search nazis" and i HAVE read it ;D it is quite old though, I doubt many have seen it.

it's in stevtec's sig, but here it is anyway (great read, if you havent seen it already):
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19718

·
Registered
64 Posts
Out of all the Honda/Accord sites I've visited v6p.net seems to be the most active in terms of 7th gen owners participation. It seems to me there are alot of voices with their own info but only a select few comes correct, takes me a while to filter through them. Nevertheless v6p.net could be the best source of technical information for 7th gens.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Great forum IMO. Ppl offer their opinion, some know more than others. The responses are at least a nudge in the right direction. But I think you should never take some one words blindly, double check stuff.

But that aside, my experiences so far have been good here. And the participation looks pretty good too.

·
Registered
505 Posts
V6P has so far been the best forum I have been on for the AV6. I am a member of gen7 &Ilike the forums I just don't get answers there like I do here. The first comment about the search Nazi's I think can be taken differently by defferet people. I have asked a question about a mod that had been discussed before but my intentions where to find out new info or have people that had done the mod tell me how they felt now after having the mod for some time and I got flamed with the searh for it response. Not my intention to cause trouble, just wanted fresh info. Doing a search is an individuals responsibility and good luck on policing that one. :p

·
Formerly VTEC-v6!
5,254 Posts
That's somewhat contradictory. If the search is the individual's responsibility, then why should they be permitted to roam free and demand answers from the rest of us, who have to go and in-turn, SEARCH for the answers ourselves just to satisfy the lazy needs of someone who can't conduct a simple search for the answer? ;)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Wow I don't even know how to respond to that one. I just meant that a newby should try a search before blasting questions. I mean the forums are set up easily enough. I think it is great that some people on here are willing to help out others when maybe they don't know enough or know better to search for it themselves. That is part of veteran leadership.

·
Formerly VTEC-v6!
5,254 Posts
I understand that too, and somewhat share your sentiments...but it gets old replying to the same threads day in and day out with the same answers every time. :gotme:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
i remember being a noob and wanting to ask LOTS of questions, but then i saw a lot of people getting their asses ripped into a million pieces for asking a duplicate question so i was more reserved.

now, i do get annoyed at some duplicate questions, myself. there are some questions that can be found EASILY with the search (anything that has to do with the tl sway bars!). from my experience, the search can be difficult to pinpoint some things. i've used the search to look for things i ran across weeks ago and still can not find it again.

answering the original question though, v6p is my most visited site. i'm here everyday until i get bored of my accord. another site that i am a recent visitor of is gen7accord.com. it's cool. i see a lot of the same users from here.

i've briefly tried other sites but was never hooked.

·
5,056 Posts
sumptimwong said:
stevtec to the rescue, as always. ive never taken the opportunity to express my appreciation of your technical knowledge and analytical skills, so i'll take this opportunity to do so. i honestly think that v6p wouldnt be half of what it is without guys like you. imo, the presence of individuals such as yourself DO keep the posts from import t00ners at bay, due to the fear that you may pop up and flame them for their nonsense ;D
much thanks, and it's nice to know that those efforts are appreciated. :cool:

sumptimwong said:
i can't agree more with on, on issues #2-4. but i still cant help but gripe about it ;D but i'll deal.
I'm working on a "THEN vs NOW" essay relating to this. It's mostly in outline form right now, and maybe someday when things get REALLY bad I'll finish it and post it. It gets to be unbearable at times and I just have to logoff for awhile. The most annoying thing in the world is when somebody has their ego or reputation based around some piece of infomrmation that is in fact wrong. When you call them on it, they'll go to war and defend it to their grave even when the facts just aren't on their side. It's more important that they protect their ego and rep than it is to actually have the right information, and this kills me. Every once in awhile I get stuff wrong too and people do call me on it, and I admit defeat. That's one small part of why things are the way they are today, though. There's lots of other reasons too, and lot of it is beyond our control. The best we can do is just filter/delete/ban as needed.

sumptimwong said:
about issue #1: no doubt the importance of searching, but that is not the point i was trying to make. certainly there is no point in repeating information that has been covered in great depth, but there it is equally silly to chastise a new member for neglecting to use the search function. a polite reminder would do just fine, and there is neither a necessity nor a point in being rude. im sure you can agree with me on this one ;D
You're right, there's no need to be rude, but people also need to get the message to use the search feature. Not only are repetitive threads a waste of bandwidth, but it also ends up fragmenting information too. You have one good bit on one thread, another good bit in another, etc. The general idea here is to keep ALL information pertaining to a particular topic in just one or a few threads. A little newbie ribbing for search feature usage is the norm here, and I think pretty harmless. :) If you have an example, send me a link and I'll take a look at it.

sumptimwong said:
LMAO! im not sure if you were serious or not, but interestingly enough, there IS a thread discussing "search nazis" and i HAVE read it ;D it is quite old though, I doubt many have seen it.
James' reply was in reference to my response in that search nazis thread. :p

·
5,056 Posts
IkedawgV6 said:
Great forum IMO. Ppl offer their opinion, some know more than others. The responses are at least a nudge in the right direction. But I think you should never take some one words blindly, double check stuff.
Unfortunately that's pretty much a given on any Internet forum nowadays. Yes, you should most definitely double-check what people say, and when you do that you will very quickly realize who knows their stuff and who doesn't, and then who to listen to and who not. We try our best to maintain the quality of information here, but we don't know everything and also can't review every thread.

IkedawgV6 said:
But that aside, my experiences so far have been good here. And the participation looks pretty good too.
glad you enjoy the site :up2:

·
5,056 Posts
noslow100 said:
V6P has so far been the best forum I have been on for the AV6. I am a member of gen7 &Ilike the forums I just don't get answers there like I do here. The first comment about the search Nazi's I think can be taken differently by defferet people. I have asked a question about a mod that had been discussed before but my intentions where to find out new info or have people that had done the mod tell me how they felt now after having the mod for some time and I got flamed with the searh for it response. Not my intention to cause trouble, just wanted fresh info. Doing a search is an individuals responsibility and good luck on policing that one. :p
Yes, people can take being told to search in different ways. In the case you mentioned, looking for new/updated info on an existing topic, just bump the old thread and ask if there's any new info. :)

·
5,056 Posts
joedanger11 said:
i remember being a noob and wanting to ask LOTS of questions, but then i saw a lot of people getting their asses ripped into a million pieces for asking a duplicate question so i was more reserved.

now, i do get annoyed at some duplicate questions, myself. there are some questions that can be found EASILY with the search (anything that has to do with the tl sway bars!). from my experience, the search can be difficult to pinpoint some things. i've used the search to look for things i ran across weeks ago and still can not find it again.
As long as you at least try that's all we're really asking. Yes, sometimes it's difficult to find something, you might not know the right keyword to use, or might specify too broad or too narrow of a forum search and "miss". BTW, I always use the advanced search. The generic search pop-out box is almost always too wide of a search for me. Anyways, as long as you at least try that's all that matters. Feel free to post, and somebody else might be able to help you out if they remember what you're looking for, or might know a better keyword to use, or better yet, which specific sub-forum it was in.

Just don't lie, and say that you tried to search for info on the maintenance light, but couldn't find anything. :laugh: :smash:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts