Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MODS: i am aware of the detailing forums, but there are only a total of ten threads in there and i notice that there is barely any traffic in there. i'd appreciate it if you let this stay for a few days before you move it, thanks!

im looking for clay (kit or not, but i prefer if i can just buy the clay itself) that is preferably available OTC. i am aware of the mothers kit and the meguiars kit. the mothers has a lot of useless jnk in there that i wouldnt use, so i refrained from buying it. a friend tells me the meguiars kit is good, but it also comes with that spray detailer that i wouldnt use.

(1) what clays have you used PERSONALLY, and what was your experience with it?
(2) what is your current clay of choice?
(3) what comes with the clay?
(4) how much do you pay for it, and from where?

tia!

·
V Go SoCal Drivers V
1,941 Posts
(1) Both Claymagic and Mother's
(2) Whichever is cheaper, I bought a lot of Claymagic at Wal Mart when it was on clearance for $5.99
(3) Both have the bar and spray (you need it so the clay doesn't stick, but I've used Quik Detailer when I've run out), but Mother's spray is a little bit bigger and comes with some wax, but it also is a bit more expensive.
(4) Claymagic is the cheapest, regular price around $10 or so at Autozone (Pep Boys doesn't carry Claymagic, but have Mother's at regular price between $14-$16)

·
the josef
121 Posts
sumptimwong said:
(1) what clays have you used PERSONALLY, and what was your experience with it?
(2) what is your current clay of choice?
(3) what comes with the clay?
(4) how much do you pay for it, and from where?

tia!
1) Claymagic. I worked as a detail tech at our family business for about three years and used it to get overspray off of plant worker's vehicles (i did 100+ vehicles). It worked really well for what we were doing (removing overspray- usually chemicals). Just be sure to be thorough with the wax job at the final step.
2) I have not needed to use it on my car yet but would use Claymagic if it needed it.
3) The clay itself and "lubra-shine." We've tried using other stuff for the "lube" but the stuff it comes with is the best. Anything else will usually dry the clay and make it utterly useless.
4) eh, sorry can't help ya on that one- it was for our business. I was just a lil peon and was not involved with the finances.

goodluck podnuh..

·
6MT
1,195 Posts
i just use meguires claybar... works perfectly fine, does its job. I dont think its too expensive.

But remember to clean ur car again afterwards. Buy extra bottles of meguires quick detailer and bunch of microfiber towels, start spraying the car n wiping it. When car is all clean, WAX IT. Don't leave car unwaxed!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have been using Clay Magic for a long time. About 7-8 years since i was very young... I found the price along with how well in my mind it works compared to the others is the best. I use it once a year before i polish/wax... But of course i wax all the cars every 3 months or whenever needed.

·
JB4 e92
5,224 Posts
I've used both Meguiar's and Mothers clay. Both came with their "lubricant."

Honestly, I didn't know how to use clay when I had the Meguiar's... but I can probably say both came out with good results.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys. i just figured that i would use soap+water because you can use a lot more of it, and its so much cheaper! ill have to try and see if it has negative effects on the clay.

walmarts in the sf bay dont carry any clay, and neither does pepboys! only clay i found was mothers, from a kragens. no other auto parts stores too close to me, but ill look for Clay Magic at my nearest autozone.

·
Registered
760 Posts
(1) Mother's, Meguiar's, Zaino
(2) Zaino
(3) You pick what you want.
(4) The bar itself is $17. You can order it online direct, but I prefer to meet with the local distributor.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Autopia sells a new superfine detailing clay by Sonus. I have not used it personally, but have heard good things about it.

·
WISCONSIN IS GREAT!
153 Posts
WHAT exactally do clay bars do? sorry... no experiance with them AT ALL!

·
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto
3,545 Posts
I use the Clay Magic bar (and love it), but I use Quick Detailer for the lube.

bustedryde said:
.... but I find that it hardens my bar a lot faster.
:ugh2:

:laugh:

·
Registered
836 Posts
sumptimwong said:
thanks guys. i just figured that i would use soap+water because you can use a lot more of it, and its so much cheaper! ill have to try and see if it has negative effects on the clay.

walmarts in the sf bay dont carry any clay, and neither does pepboys! only clay i found was mothers, from a kragens. no other auto parts stores too close to me, but ill look for Clay Magic at my nearest autozone.
i got my Mothers bar at PepBoys. Kragen had some, but all the boxes had been opened :confused: . AutoZone near me didnt have ClayMagic. they didnt have any other kind of clay either. :gotme:

·
Jan/Feb '06 ROTM
1,406 Posts
clay magic is where it's at.....don't use the entire bar at once tho...just break off little pieces....so if you drop one it isn't a prob.....if you run out of lube....pour a little GoldClass car wash in the bottle and fill with water....it is a better lube....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts