Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my engine light starts coming on and off after the first oil change done by the shop at the stealership. I brought it for them to check it out today and they tell me i need to replace the oxygen sensor and i should do it asap. So i ask him how much it would be..and he tells me $450... lol Can anyone tell me exactly what the oxygen sensor does(i know it was mentioned somewhere on the forum before but can't find it) and if anyone had it replaced before/how much$$? :confused:

Oh and btw.. does anyone know how to get stains out of the carpet? lol lets just say, driving drunk people home isn't all that great. :eek:

·
keepin' it OG
10,188 Posts
o2 sensor reads the air fuel mixture coming out from the exhaust. all vehicles are required to have them i believe after a certain year. you can a new one installed for less than 100.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i have a v6 and have 2 upstream sensors and 2 downstream. the two upstream, cheapest i found was 100 a piece at autozone, the two downstream i think around 50 each. they're pretty easy to replace, except i had the upstream one by the firewall and it was a bisnatch, just cause of the tight space. I recommend, DIY, and do it soon cause if ur o2 sensor is bad ur car is gonna run rich, meaning noticable loss in gas mileage. 02 sensor wrench is like 8 bucks if i remember correctly. which will make ur life easier, unless you can get i think it is a 22mm wrench onto the sensor. i'll explain/help you further later, but i gotta get to class. btw get the code scanned for free at any autoparts store, so you can determine which sensor you're gonna be working with.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
o2 sensor reads the air fuel mixture coming out from the exhaust. all vehicles are required to have them i believe after a certain year. you can a new one installed for less than 100.
Oh thanks. When you say a new one installed less than 100 you mean as DIY or a shop?

i have a v6 and have 2 upstream sensors and 2 downstream. the two upstream, cheapest i found was 100 a piece at autozone, the two downstream i think around 50 each. they're pretty easy to replace, except i had the upstream one by the firewall and it was a bisnatch, just cause of the tight space. I recommend, DIY, and do it soon cause if ur o2 sensor is bad ur car is gonna run rich, meaning noticable loss in gas mileage. 02 sensor wrench is like 8 bucks if i remember correctly. which will make ur life easier, unless you can get i think it is a 22mm wrench onto the sensor. i'll explain/help you further later, but i gotta get to class. btw get the code scanned for free at any autoparts store, so you can determine which sensor you're gonna be working with.
Yea i have a v6 as well. I tried looking for the part on hondaautomotivepart.com but couldn't find it. And wouldn't it be better if the o2 sensor is from Honda? cause the rep from the shop at the stealership it won't be as good if its not a Honda sensor. I will def try and do this myself if i can get some directions, thanks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
yeah dealer is straight up lying to you cause the o2 sensor found OEM in our vehicle is by bosch, who make like 99 percent of the o2 sensors for all cars, low end to high end. the one i bought at autozone is exactly.. i say EXACTLY the same one. i dont know if you're from cali or not. .but it might be alittle different cause of our different emissions laws.. just put in ur zipcode and see what you get. http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,90240/initialAction,partTypeResultSet/initialN,16000117/initialNtt,/initialNo,/shopping/selectZip.htm

looks like the 5 band one which was like 110 before went down and price.. and the other ones went up alittle.. i'm pretty sure ur not gonna find any cheaper than that, plus the ease of exchange/warranty cause they're all over the place

·
Registered
241 Posts
btw, if your down for soldering/ cuttin old connector and puttin it on the new o2 sensor, you can get a universal 5 wire or 4 wire depending on which one you need for like 20-50 bucks cheaper. Personally i like plug and play and im not good at soldering so i just go with direct fit.

·
Registered
241 Posts
u gotta go under the car for the downstream ones, but not the two top ones. if the one by the radiator is bad, it's straight up right in ur face when u pop the hood. so top ones more expensive no lifting, bottom ones cheaper gotta get under the car. pick your poison basically. Say you had to buy some rhino ramps, a mechanics basic craftsman tool set or stanley, which i've come to realize is not a bad basic set at all, o2 sensor socket/wrench, breaker bar, a creeper, and the o2 sensor itself.. it's still gonna be cheaper. so basically you DIY take an hour out of your life and get all these nifty things to save you money for other DIY's. thats my mentality at least. When i went to the dealer, they wanted to charge diagnostic 95, even tho i already knew it was o2 sensor, 250 for sensor, and 100 for labor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea it's retarded how much they charge. The problem right now is that I'm not sure which one I need to replace. Is there a diy on this or can anyone show me a site or anything with directions? lol I don't feel like spending money on something I can do myself. Thanks everyone for your inputs!

·
Bobby Lane Racing
5,679 Posts
down stream up stream? what the heck is that?

the top two sensors measure air/fuel, tells your ecu whether your running rich or lean, and the bottom two sensors measure the air after the it flows through the cat. tells you if the catalytic convertor is efficient or not.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea, the stealership did a diagnostic and told me whats wrong, but wouldn't tell me if its the top or the bottom ones. But anyways, I'm guessing it's the top one(s). Anyone have diagrams or pics of where they're located? thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
241 Posts
first.. just get ur car scanned at a autoparts store.. they'll give you the code of which sensor is malfunctioning. no need to guess

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So i went to autozone, and this guy scanned it, telling me it was Bank 1. So i asked him what's bank 1, and he goes the one nearest the engine. But there's one by the radiator and one by the firewall so I asked him again but he seemed new there and didn't really know and just said "i guess its the one near the radiator".... I guess i'll go back some other time and scan it again. The weird thing is, my check engine light went off, so now i don't know if i need to replace the sensor or if its just loose or something.

·
Bobby Lane Racing
5,679 Posts
So i went to autozone, and this guy scanned it, telling me it was Bank 1. So i asked him what's bank 1, and he goes the one nearest the engine. But there's one by the radiator and one by the firewall so I asked him again but he seemed new there and didn't really know and just said "i guess its the one near the radiator".... I guess i'll go back some other time and scan it again. The weird thing is, my check engine light went off, so now i don't know if i need to replace the sensor or if its just loose or something.
Bank one is the one in the rear. why don't you get the codes scanned again and tell us what the codes are so we can help you here. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So i finally dropped by Autozone again and asked them to scan it again and these codes came up: P0135, P2243 and P0134. He also told me bank 1, sensor 1 but i have no idea if its the one by the radiator or the one by the firewall. And thanks a million guys for being patient and helping out!

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
Bank1 = rear/firewall
Sensor1 = primary/top/upstream

Fix this first, then clear the codes and see if anything comes back, this can also cause other codes to occur.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts