Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
KSU Owls
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have a White 2003 Honda Accord EX .. now the body paint is great, clean and in perfect shape.. but the painted plastic (Rear Bumper, painted Plastic piece around license plate.. etc.. ) have all turned a off white color and i have buffed and waxed them but its permanent.. i was curious if this is a factory defect that i could have repainted by honda.. ???

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
it is a tendancy for the same paint to appear as different shades as u apply them to different surfaces (e.g. sheetmetal vs plastic). unless its very bad, i doubt you'd get a dealership to help u on this one. if you really wanna go that route, talk to american honda and bring it up as an issue of customer satisfaction. they might do a goodwill deal, esp if you've been loyal to honda in the past.

have you tried claying the affected area? clay is a detailer's trade secret. u can pick up a box (kit) of clay + other misc goodies from your local auto parts store for $10-$20. works wonders, highly recommend mothers, meguiars, or clay magic.

·
KSU Owls
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sumptimwong said:
it is a tendancy for the same paint to appear as different shades as u apply them to different surfaces (e.g. sheetmetal vs plastic). unless its very bad, i doubt you'd get a dealership to help u on this one. if you really wanna go that route, talk to american honda and bring it up as an issue of customer satisfaction. they might do a goodwill deal, esp if you've been loyal to honda in the past.

have you tried claying the affected area? clay is a detailer's trade secret. u can pick up a box (kit) of clay + other misc goodies from your local auto parts store for $10-$20. works wonders, highly recommend mothers, meguiars, or clay magic.

Thanks ill try that ... and ill try to bring it up as an issue of customer satisfaction.. it really is a easy to see off white.. its extremely noticeable

·
-Brian
8,607 Posts
yea, this happens with all these white cars, what happens is, those pieces are all plastic, and like any plastic they start to discolor and turn yellow, kind of like how you see some cars headlights look yellow. Unfort, its not a factory defect, and that just what happens with plastic, sorry man

·
7yr / 120K
955 Posts
My San Marino Red will probably do this eventually. Luckily I keep it a garage at home and work. That should buy me some time.

I've heard RED is the worst with pigment change over time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
NexsoN said:
yea, this happens with all these white cars, what happens is, those pieces are all plastic, and like any plastic they start to discolor and turn yellow, kind of like how you see some cars headlights look yellow. Unfort, its not a factory defect, and that just what happens with plastic, sorry man
I have satin silver and I too had this isssue. I have brought this to HOA attention and they will do nothing. I actually had my bumpers re-painted at my expense to rectify the issue. But the quote above is correct as the body shop told me this happens to "lighter" colors as the paint is bonding to different materials........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts