Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a stupid question, but I was wondering what you guys think about possibly attempting to strengthen/stiffen the existing front strut bar in an accord coupe 6spd. I was thinking about drilling a couple small holes in it and filling in the annular space with something that would solidify. The only reason I ask is that changing it appears to be a pain...

Am I mental thinking this may work? Logic seems sound to me. I am planning on replacing the rear sway and wanted to stiffen the front as well.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I really don't know if drilling into it and filling it would help strengthen it. If anything depending on where you drilled you may weaken the bars structure. If you plan on replacing the rear sway bar, I recomend getting the TL-S front and rear sway bars. I have them both on my Accord and it is a huge difference from the stock sway bars. Really good mod. Read up on doing the install though. Unless you have the proper equipment and a little knowledge of it the front sway bar can be a real b*&^$ to install.

·
constantly in pursuit
4,250 Posts
wait, are you talking about the strut bar the 6speed comes with, or the front swaybar? it would probably be a better bet to just get the TL sway in the front, rather than trying to drill the existing one, and fill it.

plus, unless its something that will actually bond to the metal, it shouldnt stiffen the bar at all, and if it did, it might get bubbles and be unpredictable or worst case scenario, create a new stress point.
on the other hand, it may not do anything at all. or just add weight.

just my .02, i havent done this. those are just my thoughts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
reinforce it with carbon fiber!

j/k really.

i dont think you should drill into the bar and fill it in. i think that might actually decrease the integrity of the bar as a whole rather than improving it's structure. don't know why, but my engineering senses tell me so.

If you upgrade to the rear TL sway bar and want a more balanced front end, i'd suggest upgrade to the front TL sway bar also. I don't think there's a need to alter/upgrade the strut bar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the opinions guys. I am just trying to be lazy I guess, I have read about the front install and it sounds like it would make me angry! I guess I will either go with the 17mm rear only or the go with the 20mm along with upgrading the front as well (just to keep things relatively balanced). I will probably have to get a shop to install the front though, as I don't have the equipment needed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
to me, i think the 17mm rear should be enough of an improvement. i installed mine over the weekend and it works wonders in the curvy roads. before, i used to always feel the body roll in a gradual 90 degree turn at low speeds, but now, i can take that turn at a much higher speed and not feel a thing. it's great!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard that the 17mm alone is a decent enough upgrade in handling, but I am still on the fence whether to just do that or actually go beefier in the rear and do the front as well. I do like to corner hard and right now I feel like I am riding an oceanliner! I need to get stickier rubber too, the stock tires blow.

I might just do the rear with the 17mm for balance and see if I like it enough. I still have to master heel-toe in this car anyway to corner at speed, I'm finding it a bit tricky (but maybe I just suck lol) :bonk:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
i have only the 20mm in the rear and it doesnt feel unbalanced at all. i do feel a difference in handling, but no unwanted over/understeer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts