Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
oldbie? You bet I am!
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It finally sunk in...that CEL I had for awhile on my dashboard was really what I was fearing the most: The transmission. My tranny is officially dead eventhough my car still runs. I love that car dearly and I had so many memories with it but it's time to say goodbye to it and move on. I just couldn't keep up with the maintenance costs.

I'm thinking of trading in for the new Fit or probably something used. I wished Honda made a stronger tranny or at least be fair to replace all transmission of all years of its 6th generation Accords.

·
(つ◕‿◕)つ*•.★.•*•.★.•* •.★.•
3,498 Posts
how do u know your tranny is dead?

hahah, a Fit would be awesome man! GL with your decision :)

·
oldbie? You bet I am!
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got one of the symptoms for a while (CEL on at more exactly like a year and a half) and reseting the ECU didn't work either. At this moment, because of it, I can't even get my car smogged if you ask me how bad the situation is.

·
oldbie? You bet I am!
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ghost_masterCL said:
Thanks but I don't even have a job right now. I can't cover the cost for that tranny and it has been on the back of my mind for the last five years. The combination of heavily in debt plus not being able to legally work plus this CEL problem made me drop my head everytime I think about what could've been.

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
if you have lots of debt and can't legally work, then buying a new car doesn't seem like a good idea to me. buy an old-school civic with a manual tranny that's built simply and to last, is easy to work on with what little goes wrong, and will go hundreds of thousands of miles.

I would also try calling Honda North America and telling them your situation (well, not the whole thing). Give them a good sob story about how you're down on your luck but bought a honda back in the day because you knew it would last, only now it isn't, you can't afford $4k, and if they don't do something to help you out then you'll never buy another honda again. :angel:. Worth a shot... Honda takes care of people and does actually care A LOT about customer retention. they'll probably help you out.

·
oldbie? You bet I am!
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kleptodathief said:
u had the CEL lite on/off for over 1 year??? im just waiting for my tranny to go...:D
No, it's been on for the past year and a half. I was too scared to check it out nor wanted to pay 140 dollars local Honda dealer wants for diagnostic charge.

SteVTEC-I'll probably call them on Monday. I love the car but hated the bill everytime it's time for service. Well I have another car that I can tie in together and buy one in return. My sister is going to hate me for that but both cars are under my name and I don't think she'd mine driving a new car anyway. I'll get by with BART in the mean time.

·
5,056 Posts
whaaaaaa? do you even know what the code is? dude just go to autozone and have them check the code for free. fuk dealerships and their retarded diagnostic fees. :D You can get a code scanner for that kind of money and check and reset it yourself. I have my own OBD-II scanner and data logger for $100, which hooks up to a Palm Pilot that I already had. Check engine light doesn't necessarily mean bye bye tranny. usually it's for random emissions junk, a lot of which you can fix yoursel for dirt cheap with the right tools.

The stupid CEL goes off in my Maxima all the friggin time, esp in cold weather. Rear O2 sensor heater circuit (only comes on in coooold weather = ignore), main catalyst below efficiency threshold (only once, maybe an exhaust leak, didn't come back = ignore), misfire cyl #6 (bad coil, replaced for $50), knock sensor ($100, fixed myself with some help). If I had gone to Nissan to get all this crap replaced I would be out well over $1000. Instead I didn't even spend half that, including tools and the OBD-II scanner. :p

·
oldbie? You bet I am!
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it's P0500 VSS Malfunction. Speed Sensor went dead. $400 bucks IF it is the speed sensor. My tranny is kinda jerky going into gear or going out of reverse or going back into drive and it slips from first to second.

I was thinking of buying an OBD-II scanner for abt 70 bucks but what am I going to use it for after I scan it for this problem?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
R35553HV6 said:
it's P0500 VSS Malfunction. Speed Sensor went dead. $400 bucks IF it is the speed sensor. My tranny is kinda jerky going into gear or going out of reverse or going back into drive and it slips from first to second.

I was thinking of buying an OBD-II scanner for abt 70 bucks but what am I going to use it for after I scan it for this problem?
If not, sell it lol

·
5,056 Posts
$400 for a little cheesy sensor = WTF. I bet the sensor doesn't cost more than $50-100. Get some tools, service manual of some sort, and a code reader and you can do it yourself for less than that I bet, and then you'll have all the stuff you need for the next time something goes wrong.

As far as tranny, cry to Honda about it and they'll probably help you out. If not, could look into a rebuild place, or even try to find a junkyard AV6 with low mileage and get the tranny out of that one.

·
oldbie? You bet I am!
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
SteVTEC said:
$400 for a little cheesy sensor = WTF. I bet the sensor doesn't cost more than $50-100. Get some tools, service manual of some sort, and a code reader and you can do it yourself for less than that I bet, and then you'll have all the stuff you need for the next time something goes wrong.

As far as tranny, cry to Honda about it and they'll probably help you out. If not, could look into a rebuild place, or even try to find a junkyard AV6 with low mileage and get the tranny out of that one.
yeah $400 bucks for the front and the back speed sensors not just one plus labor. Hey if that's the case, I'll take it but I haven't seen anyone sells it. I only saw generic speed sensors not necessarily the ones made for Honda Accord Tranny so that is yet to be seen if it is true or not.

I definitely need help on scripting how to cry to Honda about this...I mean I can tell them and they can check my name and family name that this is not the first time I ever bought honda and got major problem like this ever. I'm just not sure if that fact is convincing enough that I won't buy Honda next time (i even thought of buying Chevy Aveo for a change...ouch!!)

I have discussed with my parents and at least my mom said just use public transportation until I can save enough money to fix it IF all the things I have done to fix this car within reasonable manner (crying to Honda, bringin it back to the smog station have it check yadda yadda yadda, fix the Speed Sensors myself) does not work.

The ironic part about the whole fiasco was that my car passed smog :banghead: :banghead: :angry: :bawling: :bawling:

Just that stupid CEL won't let me completely pass the whole test :banghead:

·
Shes like the wind
1,094 Posts
Hey sorry to hear about the your situation.
I thought the code p0500 is for 4cy M/T???
Did you try resetting the CEL when bringing the car in for the emission test?

I go that p0420 CEL and just reset it. It comes back every 4-6 months. :mad:

·
oldbie? You bet I am!
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
xi0utlawstarix said:
Hey sorry to hear about the your situation.
I thought the code p0500 is for 4cy M/T???
Did you try resetting the CEL when bringing the car in for the emission test?
Yes, I did. That is why it won't pass because by the time I got there, (the mechanic said that) I should've gave my car about 100 miles to recycle everything. I'll see what he says when I bring it there later today.

·
(つ◕‿◕)つ*•.★.•*•.★.•* •.★.•
3,498 Posts
just wonderng, how do you reset your ECU? Do you pull the #13 clock fuse? or d/c the battery?

·
oldbie? You bet I am!
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally gave in and paid the shop 70 bucks for diagnosic...and the result:

EGR VALVE NEEDED TO BE REPLACED!!!

He asks for 237+tax including labor?

Go or no go?

·
335i coupe
654 Posts
Hell yeah, $55 (ebay) and DIY = VERY EASY vs. $237+ tax offered.

EGR is pic # 1

1 - 20 of 22 Posts