Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pre Cat Delete Question

I was wondering what are the pros and cons of the pro cat deletes? I have been reading around on these but there isnt too much info on them. Do they smell? I don't have to worry about passing inspection cause I have a friend who is a tech at honda. I have a J33 auto with v2 intake, lightweight pulley, xlr8 j-pipe, test pipe, borla exhaust. I just dont want to lose any torque below 3k rpms. Can someone please give me some advice. Thanks

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ive got em and the only negative thing i can say about them is that the gaskets dont seal completely so there is a bit of an exhaust leak. Its not the quality of the precats or their construction, its the quality of the gaskets.

·
Registered
338 Posts
which deletes are you talking about? i'm in the market also. If ur worried about losing torque, just force induction:D

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The top two cats. I cant do forced induction cause I am a auto. My tranny will die. Look at all I have done to the car to begin with. If I do supercharger I will kill the tranny. I would love to go forced but cant.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i meant what brand of deletes? richie's is out of stock!:doh:

and with your extensive list of mods you could easily get the tranny cooler for FI

·
- Leo
992 Posts
I have richies precats, jpipe and test pipe. You will definitely lose torque but just before 3k, after that is where the gains come into play. You will also have bad smell and if you car is light colored like mine (silver) it will even leave brown stains on the bumper. Unfortunately the gaskets as mentioned, do leak even though they are OEM honda gaskets, so i dont know what you would get instead of them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The OEM gaskets dont leak on mine. The gaskets between the precats and j-pipe are the ones that leak. I am thinking about trying to find someone to make some with the crush ring in the middle for a better seal.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have richies precats, jpipe and test pipe. You will definitely lose torque but just before 3k, after that is where the gains come into play. You will also have bad smell and if you car is light colored like mine (silver) it will even leave brown stains on the bumper. Unfortunately the gaskets as mentioned, do leak even though they are OEM honda gaskets, so i dont know what you would get instead of them.
You should take your car to sac raceway and get some times! Im interested to see what youre running

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what does everyone think I should do? Should I get them once they are back in stock and find someone who can make good gaskets? How much does this sell for? I am just afraid that my car will sound raspy with these on it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The raspiness usually comes from not having any resonators, cats, and/or the type of muffler you are using. Do your tires break lose during daily driving? With the amount of torque you may have you might benifit from it. Also your engine is producing so much more power that it may not effect you the way it effected 03 av6.

·
- Leo
992 Posts
You should take your car to sac raceway and get some times! Im interested to see what youre running
Yea i know its been something i wanted to do for a long time now. I FINALLY got motor mounts so i can launch the car. Only problem is my 2nd gear synchros are going out so slamming gears at top rpms gets really hard and pops out some times. But ill still definitely go one of these days. Would you be down to go one of these days too? Ill PM you if i go.

·
- Leo
992 Posts
The raspiness usually comes from not having any resonators, cats, and/or the type of muffler you are using. Do your tires break lose during daily driving? With the amount of torque you may have you might benifit from it. Also your engine is producing so much more power that it may not effect you the way it effected 03 av6.
I wouldnt say it affected me any more than anyone else with precat deletes. The fact is, you will lose low end torque up to 3k rpm. I read reviews here on V6P and acurazine, everyone loses it. Its not that bad, but definitely noticeable.

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
I wouldnt say it affected me any more than anyone else with precat deletes. The fact is, you will lose low end torque up to 3k rpm. I read reviews here on V6P and acurazine, everyone loses it. Its not that bad, but definitely noticeable.
Just launch at 3.5krpms and that solves the problem :D

·
- Leo
992 Posts
trust me, even launching at 2k rpm i spin all of first and half of second gear, but i give credit to my crappy tires and negative camber for that.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well my tires break loose from a dead stop all the way through first. I am a auto. If I punch it at 15mph just some churp then they go. They are brand new though. About 4000 miles on them. I have the borla cat back exhaust, xlr8 j-pipe, test pipe. Do you think I will get raspiness? I dont want any raspiness. The car sounds great as is.

·
- Leo
992 Posts
Well my tires break loose from a dead stop all the way through first. I am a auto. If I punch it at 15mph just some churp then they go. They are brand new though. About 4000 miles on them. I have the borla cat back exhaust, xlr8 j-pipe, test pipe. Do you think I will get raspiness? I dont want any raspiness. The car sounds great as is.
As mentioned before, you probably will get raspiness and slight increase in volume. I personally liked the increase on my magnaflow catback and the raspiness sounds kinda cool imo. But i guess its about your own preference and since you have a different exhaust setup, yours might or might not rasp or be much louder like mine was.

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
trust me, even launching at 2k rpm i spin all of first and half of second gear, but i give credit to my crappy tires and negative camber for that.
I'm just playin', the only mod you have on me is the pre-cat deletes...I can't hook up for sh** either, but I attribute a lot of that to my horrible tires (drive a lot for work, need a tire that gets some mileage). :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts