Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, will i totally mess up the handling characteristics of my car if I just install the Progress adjustable 22mm rear sway bar? Do I definitely need to install a front sway bar as well to compensate? I apologize as I know this has been covered to some extent, but I have seen no difinitive answers. Some say install both, some have said they've seen nice handling gains with just a rear sway bar. Thanks in advance for any help you may be!

·
Registered
158 Posts
There really is no definitive answer because it all depends on your application. Some questions you should ask are: Is this a daily driver, or do you plan to race the car? Do you drive in rain/snow often? What is your driving style? Normal with some fun on the curves, or aggressive? Have you had high-performance driving training?

To answer your question, your 22mm rear bar will introduce a large amount of oversteer into the car, which will either push it to neutral or maybe even a bit on the oversteer side. For the race track, this is great- you'll notice a huge improvement in turn performance. On the street is another matter. Again, this all goes back to your personal application and ability. For many people with little to no experience with high-performance driving, these kinds of setups make the car feel very unstable and unsafe- the back end feels like it just wants to come unglued. However, if you've got some training and/or experience, you're more comfortable with it. The back end coming out a bit on hard turns is nothing new to you and you know both how to manage oversteer and how to drive the car so that you stay in control.

I say swap that bar in, find a nice big parking lot, and throw the car around. Get up to 50mph and simulate a hard lane change, push it through a hard 180, and find its limits and decide if it's too much for your tastes or not. If you think the car is just too jittery for your liking, put in a bigger front bar or go to a smaller rear. Plus, you'll have a lot of fun testing it out! I also suggest doing the same thing after it rains to get a sense of where the limits are on a wet road, so you won't be unpleasantly suprised on the street.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
on stock springs you should have no issues, however once you get into stiffer spring rates then you may have problems. a rear front spring ratio of .65 or below will keep the car at the understeer position. at .7 and above you start to experience oversteer.

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe this isn't the best idea then. I have no professional training and if it induces a large amount of overstear, then that's probably not a great thing for street applications. Plus, we get a lot of rain and snow here in IN. Also, I don't want the back end to feel like its coming "unglued" as you said, so that's a negative as well.

Maybe I should just go with a F/R TL set of sways? I dunno..but thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I dont think adding just a rear sway bar will mess up the handling on our Accords. I have the comptech rear bar (22mm?), with the hfp suspension, and it handles okay. Handling is quite aggressive with my 19" 235 Toyo ZRs, but so so with my factory 17" Michilans bc it's too easy to break traction in the curves. It is definetly better than stock to add a rear sway bar, by a noticable amount, but i'm still not satisfied. Bodyroll is still excessive in my opinion. I'd much like to add a stiffer front sway bar, but i've heard it's quite troublesome of an installation..not like the rear bar (which took me 15 minutes)...i beleive we need a lift, and unmounting the front subchassis is required. Not to mention the car will require a realignment after the subchassis is reattached.

·
St. Louis!
3,378 Posts
22mm rear sway is by no means "dangerous" Dont drive like a friggin lunatic and you'll be fine. i.e. no 60mph hard turns on wet city streets. For regular county driving, its great. Just firms it up to pretty neutral IMO.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mbr311-

I'm doing the F/R TL-S sways in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it goes and what the improvement is like.

Jon-

You don't need a lift for the front bar (although a lift would make it much easier). Just jack stands and a floor jack. You only have to drop the subframe a few inches so that you can wiggle the bar out. You're right about the Michelins...they're junk! :) A bigger front bar and stiffer springs will take care of that body roll...

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think i just ought to get some springs first - that will probably help out my handling deficiencies much moreso than a rear sway bar. I'll go for F/R TL sway bars in the future possibly, since they seen inexpensive. Thanks for the feedback!!!

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honcho said:
Mbr311-

I'm doing the F/R TL-S sways in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it goes and what the improvement is like.

Jon-

You don't need a lift for the front bar (although a lift would make it much easier). Just jack stands and a floor jack. You only have to drop the subframe a few inches so that you can wiggle the bar out. You're right about the Michelins...they're junk! :) A bigger front bar and stiffer springs will take care of that body roll...
Yea, make a thread about it when you get it done please. I'd love to hear some feedback on that setup!

Mark

·
Registered
151 Posts
Honcho said:
There really is no definitive answer because it all depends on your application. .....
I.
I have the Progress rear sway set to firm with Tiens SS's and Ingals rear camber kit.

The sway stiffened up the car, it hardly leans in turns and on dry good pavement the car is almost neutral with still just a slight push. On wet roads it still stuck well although I have not pushed it to hard in the rain, but I'm not sure in snow because I have never driven in it with this car....If you drive fairly sane I'm sure the progress will be all right but if you are the type that needs to see if he can triple the posted on ramp speed.....you may be cleaning weeds out of your rims for weeks...

By the way, nice write up Honcho!

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I drive very sane on the road to be honest with you. I don't like to push the limits of the car because a) it isn't a good handler and b) there's too much traffic. I'd just like to see some mild improvment in handling in general, that's what made me take a look at this rear sway bar.

I still get this sense that there is no definitive answer (as Honcho said). I think I'd be okay if I installed the bar since I'm not a crazy driver...but w/out springs, I wonder if its really worth it? Maybe I ought to get springs first, then worry about sways.

·
Registered
151 Posts
mbr311 said:
I drive very sane on the road to be honest with you. I don't like to push the limits of the car because a) it isn't a good handler and b) there's too much traffic. I'd just like to see some mild improvment in handling in general, that's what made me take a look at this rear sway bar.

I still get this sense that there is no definitive answer (as Honcho said). I think I'd be okay if I installed the bar since I'm not a crazy driver...but w/out springs, I wonder if its really worth it? Maybe I ought to get springs first, then worry about sways.
You will be AMAZED at the difference in handling if you add good suspension components.

I can't stand driving a stock car of any kind now...unless maybe an S2000. A stock car feels like I'm driving a giant marshmallow with wheels...it's especially scary at high speeds. The Accord is such a great platform to upgrade, my car feels so "locked down" and safe at any speed now!

My suspension upgrades are worth every dime..... ;)

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So you would suggest springs before rear sway then I take it? I think that's what I'm gathering from your post. Springs would certainly cut down on the body roll and leave the car more "planted" if you will.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think your best pick would be a set of Eibachs, I had those before the Tiens's and they are great. Get the Pro's or Sport lines depending on what type of clearance you want. You may want to consider the HFP kit also because they sell at such a great price - and it is genuine Honda parts. Then if you still want the car tighter get the TL rear sway, you won't need the front, the car pushes to much already for a harder bar (Progress's engineer told me this) and you will be set up fine for the street and save a bunch of cash for the Unichip....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks Brad...just tryin to help. :)

Mark-

I would suggest sways before springs, although I am doing both at the same time. IMHO, sways give you the most noticable improvement in turn performance for your dollar. Also, polyurethane bushings do wonders for responsiveness because they don't flex under load like standard rubber bushings. However, poly bushings can get noisy, but they do sell greasable brackets, which I am using.

A word on springs- on a smooth racetrack, stiff springs are a big help because they keep the contact patch planted firmly on the pavement. However, on the street, bumps and potholes can cause the spring to actually lift the frame of the car as opposed to the suspension due to the high spring rates. This has the effect of causing the car to skip/hop from a sudden loss of traction- not cool. Therefore, on the street it is often the case where softer springs maintain a better contact patch. Depends on the kind of roads you drive on. The trade-off is you will get more body roll. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Honcho's right, the street is a different animal then the race track, the spring rate is greater on the Tien's and I swear I get airborne at one spot of rough freeway I go over every day (although I look forward to it - some people also think I need mental help though....), that's why I loved the Eibachs, they have some proprietary manufacturing process where the spring is very compliant over the rough stuff but when you turn is seems to firm up and lock the car down...it's hard to explain, you have to drive a car with them to understand. I had the Sport lines in two of my cars and highly recommend them...best bang for the buck in my book.

·
St. Louis!
3,378 Posts
Definitave answer is that the TL-S sway for $43 shipped, is the best deal going. I have that and havent installed my drop yet. It works fantastic, I can only imagine after I put the HFP on.

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kingof3rdinput said:
Definitave answer is that the TL-S sway for $43 shipped, is the best deal going. I have that and havent installed my drop yet. It works fantastic, I can only imagine after I put the HFP on.
Where did you get the TL-S sway for $43 shipped if I might ask? I could get my wife to buy that for my birthday :)

And Brad and Honcho, thank you so much for your input. It is much appreciated.

·
Registered
151 Posts
No problem Mark...I'm sure you will pass on the info to someone else someday when they need it...

I believe the stock springs in the Accord are way to soft, I was really disappointed the first time I ran down the mountain and was bobbing and weaving all over the place. Then I put in the Pro Line Eibach's and it made the car handle a 1000% better! After I installed the Progress rear sway and I have to say it did not make that great of a difference...unless I really pushed it, then at the outside limits it made the car turn flat and hard.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts