Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i want to put a ps2 slim in my car but i dont know how i would power it. i dont wanna plug a cord into the 12v outlet, i dont want wires showing. is there a way i could power the ps2 from the battery or is there a easier/better way?

·
Registered
230 Posts
You'd want a small inverter, which will be wired like an amp (you will need to run power wires to the battery). Depending on the size of the inverter, you can probably get away with mounting it underneath the seat or under the dash. From there, you can conceal the plug underneath the panels.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Actually it would be easier to run a power inverter from ur 12 volt. It would be a lot more work and more complicated connecting it straight to the battery. I have a dreamcast in my car and running on a power inverter u can get for like 30 bucks, all you have to do is connect the inverter to the lighter, and the power plug to the inverter. Its a easy 2 step problem that doesnt require any extra stuff. And all the wiring is hidden behind the dash, so you wont even see it.

·
✠ 2nd Amendment'r ✠
5,355 Posts
is there a way to "perma" wire it? say...through the fuse box or something?
I bought an inverter and it works fine when the car is off, but when its running it wont power the ps2 slim....
what kind of inverters do you guys have? maybe i just have a inverter with some sort of safety mech in it.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
99cfENVYv6 said:
is there a way to "perma" wire it? say...through the fuse box or something?
I bought an inverter and it works fine when the car is off, but when its running it wont power the ps2 slim....
what kind of inverters do you guys have? maybe i just have a inverter with some sort of safety mech in it.
I got my inverter from walmart, its a decent small size that allows it to be hidden behind the center console. My car has to be on one switch (radio) or watever, but the engine doesnt have to be on. It also works while im driving, one of the easiest mods done :)

·
✠ 2nd Amendment'r ✠
5,355 Posts
yea when i said "it works fine when the car is off" i meant that it works fine when the engine si off(power on)..but when i turn the engine on it wont work while driving and such. guess its time to take a trip to walmart:)

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
99cfENVYv6 said:
yea when i said "it works fine when the car is off" i meant that it works fine when the engine si off(power on)..but when i turn the engine on it wont work while driving and such. guess its time to take a trip to walmart:)

Walmart is the ish..... :D :cool: Especially the 24hr ones. You can always count on them when youre desperate. I needed parts for my car while me and my friend were working on my car at 2 in the morning, went there, got our stuff, and got done at 5 :p

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
^the hell u doin workin on car at 2 am? more like stealing car..j/k

99cfenvy, something is probably wrong with your electrical problem (since u can't use the inverter when your car is on) ..or something wrong with your inverter ...

·
✠ 2nd Amendment'r ✠
5,355 Posts
^^^electrical problem? the only problem i had in the past was my dash lighting and i replaced the multiplexor to fix it. Im thinking it is a crummy inverter. But I heard that you can hardwire it to the fusebox? Ill just try replacing the inverter

·
Registered
433 Posts
I hard wired the inverter to the wires from the cigarette lighter. The only thing that sucks is it restarts when I start the car.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
chido said:
I hard wired the inverter to the wires from the cigarette lighter. The only thing that sucks is it restarts when I start the car.
Yea, that the same thing happens to me, but that also happens to the rest of the electrical components in a car, they all restart again when the engine is turned on. I was also gonna hard wire my inverter to it, but then I thought to myself that I need that 12v outlet for my radar detector also, so I just about those 12v extensions and did it that way.

·
Registered
433 Posts
andrewlongcor said:
how did yall hardwire it to the 12v outlet? did yall just splice the wires and connected it?
Yeah....I don't know how reliable that is though. I can still use my cell phone charger and my ps2 at the same time with seemingly no loss in voltage or interference.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's okay to hard wire it to a cig lighter adaptor if the maximum amperage draw does not exceed the limit on the 16 awg wire that's wired to it. If you're drawing more than what it could handle, you'll just blow the fuse every time, especially when the cig adaptor fuse is only 10 to 15 amps.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Vestax said:
It's okay to hard wire it to a cig lighter adaptor if the maximum amperage draw does not exceed the limit on the 16 awg wire that's wired to it. If you're drawing more than what it could handle, you'll just blow the fuse every time, especially when the cig adaptor fuse is only 10 to 15 amps.
Good to know. I also fused the lead from the lighters (+) to the converter with a 20amp fuse. Does that help any?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts