Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this question may seem silly, but here goes. i am gong to lower my 2003 honda accord coupe early next month with more than likely neuspeed supercup kits, but will be using the sports instead of the race springs.

my question is, since i will be doing this job myself, when i do the rear shocks and i have the rear of the car up on two jackstands and the front tires still on, is it safe for me to go in the back seat in order to loosen the the top of the shock assembly from the car? for some reason, i keep thinking that the car will slip off of the jackstands when i climb in the car, totally f'n up my car.

if anyone has an answer for me, please let me know.

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
relentless said:
Yes its ok. Just put a tire stop in the front and put it in first gear if your a manual tranny.
:and1: :iagree:

Use wheel chocks in the front and losen the rear shock bolts before jacking up, that way if you are really worried you are not breaking the bolt tourqe while on the stands. Same for tightening, and this is just what I normally do anyway, install the rear and only hand tighten the upper bolts, drop it on the ground and let the weight help the upper mounts to find center(where they want to be) and final tighten with the weight of the car on the mounts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the information everyone gave about the use of jackstands, especially the tip about loosening the bolts to break the torque prior to putting the car on the jackstands.

also just another quick question, when tightening should i also rent a torque wrench if possible to tighten to manufacturer specifications? or should i just tighten the bolts until i can't make it any more tight?

thanks

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
villaen said:
thanks for all the information everyone gave about the use of jackstands, especially the tip about loosening the bolts to break the torque prior to putting the car on the jackstands.

also just another quick question, when tightening should i also rent a torque wrench if possible to tighten to manufacturer specifications? or should i just tighten the bolts until i can't make it any more tight?

thanks
Well, those bolts are not real sensitive to being over tourqed, but if you do not have a "Built In" tourqe wrench like most mechanincs with lots of experience I would suggest it, Craftsman has a nice one on sale for $75 right now.

·
you gotta rub to dub!
1,126 Posts
I only use a torque wrench for wheels (set at 80 lbs). Hand tightening has never been a problem for me or my friends.
If you have a Harbor Freight near you, you can pick up a 25 dollar Husky Torque Wrench (lifetime warranty too). I've manually compared the torque specs against a craftsman and its the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts